King Dollar?

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Supporter
Reaction score

I suspect most of us have noted that the US dollar has been strong lately. Very strong! The US Dollar Index is up some 7% since early July (less than three months), that is a BIG move in FOREX.

So even with QE, the "Taper" and all the FIAT PONZI, it is worth a look at WHAT is going on and perhaps take a stab at the future. I looked at gold, crude oil, Bitcoin and a food commodity index..., and found ALL of them down vs. the dollar in the past few months. Down hard! Lots of charts so that you can see for yourselves.

Yet, I found NO investments that were strongly correlated with the US$ going up! Yes, Treasuries are up a bit (not much) and stocks (in general) are a little better correlated, but NOTHING I found matched "King Dollar" recently.

Maybe someone can chip in with a better explanation or some niche(s) I missed?

Or could it just be that the dollar is "the cleanest dirty shirt" now? Weird!

"King Dollar?"

http://goo.gl/2GmeMi

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Reaction score
You guys wouldn't be insinuating that the dollar move is unnatural, would you?

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Reaction score
* bump *

Dollar index breaks 100. How much higher can it go before imposing negative consequences on the fragile economy?

rblong2us

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
but look how much more you get for a dollar these days.
Its twice as much oil and 50% more gold

Why is anyone complaining ?

shinnosuke

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
* necro bump *

I see the Dollar Index broke through 100 again this morning (101.46 as I type this). According to the historical chart I found (link below), it peaked at 113 circa February 2002 and 125 circa February 1985.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1329/us-dollar-index-historical-chart
Fastest horse in the proverbial glue factory? Given the roughly 95% loss of purchasing power since the inception of the FedRes (Slavery) System, the Dollar Index should have our currency pegged at zero. Or is a negative number possible?

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Reaction score
The Dollar Index essentially measures the dollar against other currencies. Fastest horse, tallest midget, world reserve currency in a time of crisis. How long global faith remains in the currency might be tested if the Fed actually does print trillions of new dollars.

rblong2us

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
For me with my shiny based in UK£ everything is awesome with a nearly £100 upswing in 2 days taking gold back close to ATH

but man what a crazy ride .... I am up 67% on my gold deposits and down a similar amount on my silver