Deal: LifeSaver water filtering jerrycans plus accessories package

KMS

Reaction score
Wow, this is an amazing deal.

It is good through the end of May, for anyone that doesn't see it, just pointing it out.

Edit 1230: I have sent the contact an email asking if the package comes with TWO filters in total. One with original container and the replacement that they are listing on the items to buy page, etc. Will post more when I know more.

Last edited:

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Wow, this is an amazing deal.

It is good through the end of May, for anyone that doesn't see it, just pointing it out.
$500 is cheap?!

All you need to distill water is firewood, 2 pots, and a moisture catch!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Reaction score
$500 is for the can with the longer lasting filter. Those filters should last over a year each with daily use.

Steam distillation is great, but there is a real bottleneck in producing large quantities of clean water with it.

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
$500 is for the can with the longer lasting filter. Those filters should last over a year each with daily use.

Steam distillation is great, but there is a real bottleneck in producing large quantities of clean water with it.
Stupid question of the day:
Does your typical filtration system filter out pathogens that cause diseases such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium? I thought you still had to at least boil the water to kill these pathogens?

Last edited:

KMS

Reaction score
I got email back from Bud @ the deal of the day site. He says that the package IS TWO filters. One comes in the container standard, and an additional replacement filter. The bulk of the cost of these systems is the filter. I would highly recommend this, and plan on picking up the 20k liter model. I think it is a great value.

dali lambone

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Does your typical filtration system filter out pathogens that cause diseases such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium? I thought you still had to at least boil the water to kill these pathogens?
Ketadyn tabs will do that in a few hours.

rblong2us

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
A few years ago we installed some fancy Dutch nano filtration systems in a couple of public utility treatment works that was supposed to be capable of removing such things. 10% of the water was lost due to the backwash cycle.

They were basically spring water with a very light dose of chloros before the upgrades and only got done cos it was mandated.

My stream water supply goes through a 1 nano ceramic and carbon filter and a cheapo fish pond UV lamp. A seven month test has not seen any worrying increase in toilet use.

A friend who works at the local water treatment works reckons the 1 nano filtration is all i need and the stream water does have some treated sewage going into it further upstream.

Those jerry cans would be lifesavers in the event of a natural catastrophe.
Kind of thing a good community should have in place .....

swissaustrian

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Pardon my (probably) stupid question for the US members here:
I hear a lot of complaints about water fluoridation from people in the US. Our (state and local) governments here in Switzerland don't put this stuff into our water, so I've never done any research on that. Is it really that bad?

dali lambone

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
I hear a lot of complaints about water fluoridation from people in the US. Our (state and local) governments here in Switzerland don't put this stuff into our water, so I've never done any research on that. Is it really that bad?
Maybe, maybe not, I suppose it depends on who you talk to. It tends to draw a lot fo attention from "our crowd". They say they put fluoride in the drinking water to help teeth, but since when did gov't care about our teeth so bad? So naturally that got peoples attention. I've talked to guys who think it's put in there to help keep people calm and lethargic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_fluoridation_controversy

Fluoride is poison really, even all the toothpaste and mouthwash labels warn not to swallow. There are a number of awareness groups across the country fighting back against it being added and are actually making some headway.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/

Maybe I should be more well-read on it before I respond to a post here. I suppose it's just one of those things that I've put in the "I'll get to it at some point catagory". I'm sure someone in this group has classified it as having a higher importance and knows the deal.

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
I have the "Big Berkey, in stainless steel, two filter sets each of the carbon and flouride/chemical filters. I will never look back.

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Reaction score
Typical system? No.

LifeSaver jerrycan? Yes.

The LifeSaver filters are pretty awesome. See info posted here: http://www.lifesaversystems.com/lifesaver-products/lifesaver-jerrycan

... and previous discussion about water filtration here: http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f6/fresh-water-seawater-78/

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Reaction score
... I'm sure someone in this group has classified it as having a higher importance and knows the deal.

The above pokes fun at the hysteria, but honestly, flouride is a powerful oxident and nasty stuff in your body.

mike

Ground Beetle
Reaction score
Hitler put fluoride in the water to keep prisoners passive.

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Sometimes the need for water hits close to home. The condo building I currently reside in had a water main blow out this weekend. The entire building is currently without water as the water main is being worked on. Talk about a sudden shtf for the local residents. I saw a guy pulling a bucket of water out of the pool!

Thank god for bottled water stored in my closet :judge:

Spiralpiece

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
For anyone doing circles about whether this is the right product for them, and whether they should impulse buy (it' looks like such a kickass buy by the way):

I don't own any of the following products.

Big Berky - heard a lot about them, look to be pretty solid, some of the highest quality out there.

Price wise, I wasn't convinced on the Jerrycan. The Jerrycan really has the advantage of being insanely portable, from what I can see. So I looked up the following drip-style 10 Liter system.

Katadyn Ceradyn 3-filter drip system: $249.95, includes 3 filters. (rated for 150,000L, or 50,000L per filter)
Filter for Ceradyn price: $69.95 (x 3 = $209.95)

$249.95 + $209.95 = $459.90, not including shipping or taxes.

Man now I'm really trying not to buy the Jerrycan 10k...