Materion discontinuing 10 oz "stacker" bars branded by Scottsdale, Academy, et. al.

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Apparently, Materion is the manufacturer of 10ozt silver "stacker" bars sold under the Scottsdale Silver, Academy (which they acquired in 2010) and other brand names. They are discontinuing their bullion manufacturing, so no more stacker bars for now.

H/T: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-29274-materion-discontinuing-silver-stacker-bars.html

I doubt that this will lead to any "numismatic" or collector premiums for these bars, but I thought it was interesting to note. Apparently Materion also manufactures industrial products using precious metals. I wonder if this is yet another indication of supply strain... :shrug:

This would impact those who are buying silver for investment, but if, like me, you're buying silver as a hedge against what I see as inevitable hyper-inflation, then 10 oz bars would seem a little bit impractical since they couldn't be easily broken down into smaller pieces.

I doubt that this will lead to any "numismatic" or collector premiums for these bars, but I thought it was interesting to note. Apparently Materion also manufactures industrial products using precious metals. I wonder if this is yet another indication of supply strain... :shrug:

Or maybe it is supply and demand, and demand for silver is lessening... I hope I'm wrong though. :)

Looks like the have replaced it with a new design:

http://store.scottsdalesilver.com/product/98/10-Oz-RESERVE-Silver-Bar-by-Scottsdale-Silver

I really like the Scottsdale products... and have some stackers. I also really like this new design, though.

Truly, I couldn't care too much what design a bar has on it as long as it's from a recognized company. Although, if I had a choice between bars from reputable companies, I'd choose the nicer looking one --- or the hand-cast one. I've got a soft spot for those old school looking bars.

ADK

Back
Top Bottom