NKorea hackers steal billions in Bitcoin…

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

foolsgold

Big Eyed Bug
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
https://www.cnet.com/culture/featur...rs-are-paving-the-road-to-nuclear-armageddon/

North Korea's Crypto Hackers Are Paving the Road to Nuclear Armageddon
North Korea has quietly become a cryptocurrency superpower. It has stolen billions in bitcoin and ether and is funneling profits to its nuclear weapons program.
It was an astonishing interview for recruiter Elliott Garlock. While screening candidate engineers for a crypto firm in February, Garlock encountered one applicant who raised almost every conceivable red flag.

The interviewee joined the Zoom interview with his camera off and had to be cajoled into turning it on. There was constant chatter in the background, like he was jammed in a small, crowded room. He claimed to be from San Francisco but, when pressed, wasn't able to pinpoint his location more precisely than "Bay Area."

It was a strange and unproductive interview. Worst of all, it was the first of many. Garlock, the founder of the Stella Talent Partners recruitment firm, soon encountered another, nearly identical candidate. Then another, and another and another.

"I got annoyed after a while, because it was a total waste of time," Garlock said. "I originally thought the scam was that they were offshore, trying to take advantage of remote work to just get a salary for not working."

Now there's a new hypothesis: The people interviewing for jobs were North Koreans trying to siphon money to the reclusive nation. That's in accord with warnings from both the FBI and the Treasury Department, which have cautioned about North Korea's escalating risk to the cryptocurrency industry.
The danger is more than theoretical, as one catastrophic hack in March showed. The Lazarus Group, a hacking outfit associated with North Korea's government, managed to drain over $600 million in crypto from a blockchain used by NFT game Axie Infinity. North Korean hackers stole $840 million in the first five months of 2022, according to Chainalysis data, over $200 million more than they'd plundered in 2020 and 2021 combined.

That is of extraordinary consequence. About a third of the crypto North Korea loots goes into its weapons program, including nuclear weapons, estimates Anne Neuberger, a deputy national security adviser in the Biden administration. It's also funneled to the country's espionage operations. When two South Koreans earlier this year were revealed to have been stealing military information for a North Korean spy, it turned out they'd been paid in bitcoin.

"Crypto is arguably now essential to North Korea," said Nick Carlsen, a former North Korea analyst at the FBI who now works for crypto security firm TRM Labs. "By any standard, they are a crypto superpower."

A crypto superpower with nuclear weapons, that is. A country whose crypto prowess, North Korea watchers say, is directly funding the development of those nukes, with the odds of a new nuclear weapons test growing. The rogue nation has been ratcheting up ballistic missile tests in the past 10 days: Over 5 million residents of Japan were told to seek immediate shelter on Wednesday after North Korea launched a missile over the island of Hokkaido. It's highly likely this, too, was funded at least in part by stolen cryptocurrency.

The Democratic People's Republic of Korea, as North Korea is formally known, has come to depend more on crypto since the pandemic began. It historically relied on black market trade, exporting coal, meth, cigarettes and labor to Southeast Asia, Russia and especially China. But the zero COVID strategy of leader Kim Jong Un has closed borders, thinning the country's already slight revenues. Trade with China, by far North Korea's biggest economic partner, fell 80% in 2020, and reports of food shortages abound. At the same time, cryptocurrency values have skyrocketed.

Despite the recent crypto crash, bitcoin is trading 250% higher than before the pandemic. Ether, the second biggest cryptocurrency, is up over 700%.

Garlock estimates he encountered a dozen candidates he now considers North Korean operatives between February and April. None of them got referred to one of his client companies, which is lucky. North Korean hackers have shown they can cause immense damage if they manage to dupe just one person.

One bad click​

A single corrupted file can leave disaster in its wake. The Axie Infinity hack that netted North Korea over $600 million in crypto started with just that: a tainted PDF.

Axie Infinity is a web browser game similar to Pokemon, except that the Axie creatures you battle are owned as NFTs and can be traded for crypto. To support this digital economy, developer Sky Mavis created its own blockchain called Ronin, whose sole purpose is to process Axie Infinity transactions. At its peak in August 2021, the game was generating over $15 million a day. A senior engineer who worked on Ronin was approached by North Korean operatives on LinkedIn earlier this year, according to a report from The Block. After several rounds of interviews, the engineer received a formal job offer via PDF.

The Ronin blockchain runs on a proof-of-authority model, wherein validation control is given to nine handpicked accounts. To gain control of the blockchain, bad actors needed to control five of these nine validator accounts. When the senior engineer clicked the infected link, he unwittingly gave North Korean hackers keys to four of those validators. Once they were inside Axie Infinity's computer system, hackers were able to get keys for a fifth. The $600 million was drained shortly after.

Sky Mavis didn't respond to a request for comment. But in a post-mortem published in April, the company said: "Sky Mavis employees are under constant advanced spear-phishing attacks on various social channels and one employee was compromised. … The attacker managed to leverage that access to penetrate Sky Mavis IT infrastructure and gain access to the validator nodes."

It's possible the North Korean operatives hired a middleman company to orchestrate the faux employer phishing scheme. That's what they did in 2019, paying an actor to play an executive in fake job interviews with the goal of infiltrating the computer systems of Chile's Redbanc. (North Korea never got to steal from the bank, thanks to an eagle-eyed IT guy, who saw suspicious activity on the network.)

It's tempting to write off the Ronin hack as a disorganized crypto company being exploited. But the same tactics have worked against world-renowned targets. The infamous Sony hack of 2014, a response to the studio's distribution of Seth Rogan's The Interview, a comedy about an assassination attempt on Kim, was achieved in much the same way. Hackers gained access to Sony's computer network by pretending to be a businessman, former assistant US attorney Tony Lewis told the BBC.

Crypto, crypto, unh...
wasn't blockchain BS supposed to be UN-hackable?
But — it seems like it's in the news every day about this crypto or that crypto lost millions of buckazoids to hackers.

But it's safe and secure. Just ask the pushers.

Awright... the above NoKo crap is the last straw for me. Y'all know I have been carefully neutral about crypto. Up until today.

At the risk of pissing off those into crypto, I have got to admit that I cannot agree that they are doing the right thing holding it any longer.

The human ability to cheat keeps easy pace with the locks and tricks of programmers. This is a stone cold KNOWN fact worldwide.

Here is the definitive last line:

If you have a whole Bitcoin, please hold it up. I will stand next to you holding some of my PM's of "equal" worth.

If there is a collapse of the current economic setup due to the obvious hyperinflation elephant right there behind you in the room (which seems not just likely but really now flat out impossible to avoid)...

Please take your bitcoin to the bank Business Marketplace and get some PM's for it. Use them to buy what you would have traded the now-useless Bolivar/Pengoe/USD/Francs for.
If the bank Business Marketplace does not accept electric dots and codes to be of any value or use -- note that all of humanity has accepted useful PM's every single day of every single year since Ur of the Chaldees. And probably before that.

The NoKo's or any other tribe in human history still want riches... but they just cannot manufacture PM's.

They can, essentially, effectively "manufacture" YOUR cryptos out of your electric cubbyhole for themselves without leaving their computer screens in Pyongyang, leaving you with no dots and blips on any chart you can find. We awake yet?

There It Is.

Last edited:
Newsflash... Bitcoin cannot be "hacked". Now, exchanges and bridges are another story. Self custody is paramount.

Newsflash... Bitcoin cannot be "hacked". Now, exchanges and bridges are another story. Self custody is paramount.
Newsflash Extra... Gold cannot be "hacked". Nor does it forever disappear in an electrical storm. Nor does it require exchanges and bridges to EXIST. It just is.

Double Newsflash Extra... Gold does not need electricity to exist or to be usable. Civilization needs gold to exist -- those who continually make themselves unaware of this fact do not understand the basis of our civilization and how computers exist.

At one small (non-essential) corner of our current civilzation we have found a truly neato way to manufacture a peculiar number set. <-- This has its appeal, and without human chicanery, it would be totally safe and useful.

Just as there has never been one friggin' day since Ur of the Chaldees wherein there has been no human chicanery, there has been no method or store of value that has withstood man's incredible cheating ability -- except gold.

The Philosopher's Stone has not yet been found**

What man can create, he can manipulate. Man can create bitcoin. It does not occur in severely limited amounts in nature.

Until it IS found (and it may well be someday) gold will remain something in man's universe that he cannot create from nothing.

**IMNHO, considering the advances in technology at all levels since I was a kid, I do not at all rule out the eventual ability of mankind to manufacture gold. When that happens, just like electrically defined cryptos and intricately drawn dollar bills, gold will no longer be a dependable, durable human standard of value.

But unlike cryptos and cleverly printed paper... gold will still have the properties necessary for advanced human existence.

Last edited:
Unlike gold and cleverly printed paper, Bitcoin cannot be stolen, confiscated, or counterfeited.

This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
I don't have any idea if crypto survives long term but I think you can probably make a crap ton of money betting on one of these miners once Bitcoin finally bottoms. I heard MARA is gonna got tits up so the choice would be RIOT?

I don't have any idea if crypto survives long term but I think you can probably make a crap ton of money betting on one of these miners once Bitcoin finally bottoms. I heard MARA is gonna got tits up so the choice would be RIOT?
It is my understanding RIOT and other miners are not ESG compliant and in this upside-down wacky world, that could become an issue. Be careful, bro.

It is my understanding RIOT and other miners are not ESG compliant and in this upside-down wacky world, that could become an issue. Be careful, bro.
Not going the KYC route so I guess the only other option would be GBTC. Between the move from discount to premium it drove me nuts and it's not like you can use discount/premium as a contrary indicator with that crap anyway.

If you lose your BitCoin wallet that would be considered confiscated as you no longer have it.
I think that would go to the adage of " A fool and his money". I could lose my wallet daily and it wouldn't affect my holdings. It's the 12/24 word seed phrase I would have to lose or forget.

NKorea hackers steal billions in Bitcoin…​

Unlike gold and cleverly printed paper, Bitcoin cannot be stolen, confiscated, or counterfeited.
assuming the prior is true. Where did they put it and why couldn't one 'find' it if the latter is true?

NKorea hackers steal billions in Bitcoin…​

assuming the prior is true. Where did they put it and why couldn't one 'find' it if the latter is true?
You're going to have to run this one by me in crayon, please.

You're going to have to run this one by me in crayon, please.
LOL!

"NKorea hackers steal billions in Bitcoin…"​

(The 'prior' ^ msg) - assuming the 'prior' is true...

If they 'stole' the bitcoin... where did they put/store it?

the 'latter' ^ msg

If it cannot be stolen... why couldn't one 'find' it?

It has to be 'somewhere'...?

LOL!

"NKorea hackers steal billions in Bitcoin…"​

(The 'prior' ^ msg) - assuming the 'prior' is true...

If they 'stole' the bitcoin... where did they put/store it?

the 'latter' ^ msg

If it cannot be stolen... why couldn't one 'find' it?

It has to be 'somewhere'...?
Somebody stole Billions and put it in a wallet from which nothing can be stolen. Oh. And if you lose Billions in Bitcoin because you went to use it... that does not count as a loss -- since by definition Bitcoin cannot be stolen.

We up to date now?

Now if the NoKos go to spend some, then they get a second chance to steal their own bitcoin again plus whoever added to the pot?

Why is crypto (bitcoin) dumping today or lately?

Damn, FBI hacks BitCoin. NorKor hacks Bitcoin !
Glad I never got into BC.

Back
Top Bottom