Primate food for emergency preps

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

<SLV>

Big Eyed Bug
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score

Got this from the political joke thread (strangely enough), but I think it is brilliant. Talked it over with my wife, and she agrees we should make this part of our preps. Much cheaper than any other emergency food storage with excellent nutritional value. If we need to use it to survive we won't be too concerned with flavor (gotta be better than tree bark).

Planning on getting some food grade 5 gallon air-tight buckets and filling them and storing in the basement. Need to calculate how much we should have on hand.

I'd rather store a bucket of legumes than that stuff, but to each their own. BTW:

Planning on getting some food grade 5 gallon air-tight buckets and filling them and storing in the basement. ...

I'd rather store a bucket of legumes than that stuff, but to each their own. BTW:

But the nutrient value is optimized in these biscuits.

Screenshot_20230106_081852_Samsung Notes.jpg

Screenshot_20230106_081919_Samsung Notes.jpg

Screenshot_20230106_081834_Samsung Notes.jpg

Screenshot_20230106_081735_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I just personally prefer whole, natural foods for the base of my diet. YMMV.

It's like dry dog food in your airplane.

If you are flying and happen to survive in a crash situation you can survive longer if you have 10lbs of dry dog food on board until they find you.

In this case, you can survive on primate food. If it expires in one year, you can always feed it to your dog, or your monkey.

It's like dry dog food in your airplane.

If you are flying and happen to survive in a crash situation you can survive longer if you have 10lbs of dry dog food on board until they find you.

In this case, you can survive on primate food. If it expires in one year, you can always feed it to your dog, or your monkey.
I think the "expiration" is for peak nutrition. It isn't going to spoil (become rancid or toxic). In a true emergency (2+ years of no power grid) it would keep you alive even if it was 20 years old.

At $1.28/lb it is cheap emergency rations (last resort).

I also prefer natural, fresh, whole foods. But there may come a day where that is not possible.

I came close to ordering 100 pounds of it. $278 with shipping. $2.78 per pound. No mas...

I came close to ordering 100 pounds of it. $278 with shipping. $2.78 per pound. No mas...
Yikes. Maybe they have local distributors or LTL pricing for pallet size orders.

Yikes. Maybe they have local distributors or LTL pricing for pallet size orders.
Mazuri is owned by Land-o-Lakes. Retail partners include Tractor Supply, Petco, and Petsmart. I know it isn't a stock product, but a special order might be possible at one of these locations. I have both pet stores nearby, so I will check there.

Mazuri is owned by Land-o-Lakes. Retail partners include Tractor Supply, Petco, and Petsmart. I know it isn't a stock product, but a special order might be possible at one of these locations. I have both pet stores nearby, so I will check there.

<SLV>: I need 100lbs of your Mazuri branded primate food, please.

Petco/Petsmart: 100lbs?

<SLV>: I'm not monkeying around here!

<SLV>: I need 100lbs of your Mazuri branded primate food, please.

Petco/Petsmart: 100lbs?

<SLV>: I'm not monkeying around here!
100lbs is on the small side... :D

Results of google while searching Mazuri:

Are monkey nuts a healthy snack?

Monkey Nuts are a nutritious and tasty snack, containing a high level of fat to provide energy and a high level of protein which supports musculoskeletal health and repair.

I'm just an old farm boy who remembers when you simply could not run to the store. So I have already done prepping for infrastructure breakdown. It is a whole lot simpler than buying what are essentially doggie bone biscuits, and the stuff tastes good and is dang well guaranteed to be better for you.

Easypeasy list of stuff to store in a cool, dry place that will allow you to live in comfort with good things to eat for at least a year:

Rice by the 25lb bag. Get ten.
Dried beans by the largest bags you can find in the stores today. Match the rice.
Flour. At least 200lbs in ten pound bags.
Salt. At least 100 lbs.
Sugar. Same as flour.
Canned meats. Don't knock Spam.
Honey. Lasts years. (Good antiseptic)
Canola cooking oil. Get the large containers.
Box Milk
Dried yeast
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^All the above placed in black garbage bags.
Stuff like canned Pork and Beans (fat, sugar, starch) canned sardines (stack easily) etc.
Bottled condiments of all kinds. Good for decades.

I have my own water supply (no power needed), but if you do not -- get LOTS of water purification tablets.

Oh... If you want to cook your stew/cookies/biscuits/rice and you do not want to use fuel, get one of these -- They are quite inexpensive. I tested mine out in my front yard with a roast beef with baked potatoes. Came out great:

1673125779649.png
Lastly, think long and hard about sanitation. I have a spa filled with water for flushing toilets. Can be refilled from a nearby pond. <-- Set up something like this now, in comfort, with plenty of availability for what you will need.

[/Old Farm Boy]

What about wheat berries? How many lbs 200? Also a grist mill.

I prefer grains that require minimal processing to be edible - rice and oats. Both just need some hot water. Frankly we would all be healthier if we ate less wheat.

On a philosophical level, we must reevaluate the underlying value system that guides our feeding. It is largely inculcated by culture (and to a large degree commerce). Most people are flavor-oriented eaters; we eat what tastes good. We ought to be fuel-oriented eaters; eating what is ideal to support the many biological systems in our bodies.

Even those who are health-conscious generally give first priority to flavor and second priority to fuel. Ideally it should be the other way around. This Primate food is developed with a fuel-focus (maybe not enough of a flavor component).

Frankly we would all be healthier if we ate less wheat.
I think the 'problem' with wheat is it's been genetically altered for Roundup™. If we could acquire old world wheat we would be better off.

I prefer grains that require minimal processing to be edible - rice and oats. Both just need some hot water. Frankly we would all be healthier if we ate less wheat.

On a philosophical level, we must reevaluate the underlying value system that guides our feeding. It is largely inculcated by culture (and to a large degree commerce). Most people are flavor-oriented eaters; we eat what tastes good. We ought to be fuel-oriented eaters; eating what is ideal to support the many biological systems in our bodies.

Even those who are health-conscious generally give first priority to flavor and second priority to fuel. Ideally it should be the other way around. This Primate food is developed with a fuel-focus (maybe not enough of a flavor component).
"EAT TO LIVE - DON'T LIVE TO EAT"

Sorry gang, I will not just eat to live. I have a cache of LDS and other freeze-dried foods in Mylar pouches, pantry cans and #10 cans. I have a two year supply for two people with extras such as brownie mix, cake mix, frosting mix, freeze dried yogurt, freeze dried steaks, chicken breasts, shrimp, diced beef, chicken and turkey, and pretty much anything I normally buy fresh or keep in my freezers. I use them to cook with and incorporate them into my everyday cooking. I don't like powdered milk but I can make hot chocolate that is tolerable and use it in recipes.

Bump...........

Overkill???

Edit to add:

Last edited:
I am ready for the zombie apocalypse. I got a 6-pack of Lowenbrau and a can of cheese wiz. Bring on the democrats.

We have two dogs and stockpile dry food for them as well as canned.

Purina One True Instinct is one of two brands we choose.

91793_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1674761456_.jpg200861_MAIN._AC_SL1200_V1674761508_.jpg

Last edited:
I think the 'problem' with wheat is it's been genetically altered for Roundup™. If we could acquire old world wheat we would be better off.

We have a large supply of wheat (hard red winter, some hard white spring) purchased from Efoods while they were still in business. They sold to the Mormon community mostly. Some of the wheat was purchased a few decades ago, in #10 cans marked 1987, while I was living in SoCal . Two big buckets (6 gal) of Ezekiel Mix purchased from Rainy Day Foods. All organic.

I still have Five 5 gallon buckets I bought from a Mormon farmer in Southern Colorado prior to Y2K. He didn't even have the equipment to spray his fields, and he even knew the protein content. Here is a picture of me doing little scythe work on my brother's wheat field in the South Valley of Albuquerque back in the early 90's. I know for a fact the field was not sprayed with anything.

SCYTHE WORK.jpg

Last edited:
So I finally decided to order a couple bags for testing. I got one bag of Growth and Repro, and one bag of Basix. The Growth and Repro costs 50% more, but is favored by body builders. I thought I would test the Basix to see if it is a good cheap alternative for emergency preps. One difference in the formula is that Basix has sucrose, where the other does not.

Screenshot_20240309_094558_Gallery.jpg

So, the Growth and Repro taste 50% better. Kind of like citrus. They are actually tasty - would be great with a cup of coffee. The Basix are tolerable, but drier and more earthy.

Back
Top Bottom