Rare Earth Metals

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Adamas forecasts an under-supply of neodymium, praseodymium and dysprosium oxide from 2022 onward. Global shortages of NdFeB alloy and powder will amount to 48,000 tonnes annually by 2030 – roughly the amount needed for some 25 to 30 million electric vehicle traction motors.

Also neodymium, praseodymium and didymium oxide demand will collectively rise to 16,000 tonnes in 2030, an amount equal to roughly three-times Lynas Corporation’s annual output, or three-times MP Materials’ annual output, of neodymium and praseodymium oxide (or oxide equivalents).

I wonder how much their forecast relies upon a growth in the electric vehicle market. Growth forecasts for that market might be questionable given current conditions (pandemic, economic stress, political uncertainty, etc.).

Top uranium miner Kazatomprom looks to boost capacity on non-Russian shipping route​

Adis Ajdin
October 26, 2022

Kazatomprom, the world’s largest uranium miner, is looking to boost the capacity of its alternative shipping route to reduce the risk of the potential impact the growing list of sanctions on Russia could have on its exports.

The Kazakh company, which ships most of its products through Russian territory, said in its latest trading update that its third-quarter volumes went via St. Petersburg port “without any disruptions or logistical or insurance-related issues.”

However, it noted that the Trans-Caspian International Transport Route (TITR), which the company has used as an alternative route since 2018, could help mitigate the risk of the primary route becoming unavailable for any reason.

The global race to secure critical minerals heats up

9 Dec 2022|David Uren

The World Trade Organization last week ruled that Indonesia had no right to ban the export of nickel or to require that raw nickel ore be refined in Indonesia.

Handing a comprehensive victory to the complainant, the European Union, the WTO decision highlights the clash between national security and global trade rules over critical minerals.

At least 14 nations, including Australia, have drafted special national-security-focused arrangements governing investment and trade in critical minerals. Nickel—a crucial input of batteries and stainless steel—is on seven of those lists.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo made clear that the WTO ruling won’t be the last word on the matter. ‘Even though we lost at the WTO on this nickel issue … it’s okay. I have told the minister to appeal,’ he said.

More:

The World Trade Organization last week ruled that Indonesia had no right to ban the export of nickel or to require that raw nickel ore be refined in Indonesia.

By what right does the WHO have to ban anything a sovereign nation decides to export or import. Isn't this putting the cart before the horse? ...

In a related topic, I hope the US Mint or RCM starts minting uranium or plutonium coins for sale.

According to preliminary data released by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), global rare earth minerals (REE) mine production in 2022 is estimated at about 300,000 tonnes of rare-earth-oxide (REO) equivalent, up 3.4% from 2021 (290,000 tonnes).

Rare_earth_0203_3.png

Global REE mine production, tonnes of REO equivalent. 2022* - preliminary estimate. Source: USGS.

According to the report, the contribution of other countries’ mine production in global REE output declined in 2022 and accounted for 30% (90,000 tonnes of REO equivalent) of the world’s total REE mine production (300,000 tonnes of REO equivalent), compared to 42% in 2021.

Rare_earth_0203_2.png

Largest REE producing countries, tonnes of REO equivalent. 2022* - preliminary estimate. Source: USGS.

In a remote and heavily forested region of northern Maine, a critical resource in the fight against climate change has been hiding beneath the trees. In November, scientists with the U.S. Geological Survey, or USGS, announced the discovery of rocks that are rich in rare earth elements near Pennington Mountain. A category of metals that play an essential role in technologies ranging from smartphones to wind turbines to electric vehicle motors, rare earths are currently mined only at a single site in the United States. Now, researchers say a place that’s been geologically overlooked for decades could be sitting on the next big deposit of them — although a more thorough survey would be needed to confirm that.

As DCF explained at the beginning of this thread, finding/mining Rare Earths isn't the issue. The USA has plenty of them. It's the pollution from refining them that is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom