Space-X launch today

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
Space-X will launch their Falcon 9 rocket today at 4:58 p.m.

Today's launch is the first beta test of the leg system that eventually will permit the main engines to land back at the space center after pushing the second and third stages high enough to make orbit. I'm not sure if they are merely flying it to test stability or if they are flying it to actually attempt to re-land the first stage and mains. Either way, I'll be there to watch.:wave:

I think it's awesome that private enterprise is finally making some strides towards space.

We're still on-track for an on time launch today. Range Safety is reporting good weather across the entire eastern range and all the way down to Ascension Island. This will be a good show, and anyone south of Atlanta should be able to make it out pretty well.

Yes! Private enterprise going into space is a great thing!

Have a great time at the launch, ancona!

I THINK that there is a total eclipse of the moon that starts tonight at about 2:00 AM US ET tonight. The first of four "Blood Moons" coming over the next two years or so.

Scrubbed. :-(

Next attempt will be Friday at 3:35. I don't think I'll be able to be at the Space Center on Friday, but I'm going to try. Hopefully I'll remember to bring my camera this time.

Flight now slated for 3:25. This is a "must launch" time, meaning the launch window is only a few seconds long. Remember, they are shooting that thing up to the space station, which is moving at 17,500 mph through space as the earth turns below it. I would love to see the math equation behind that calculation! For some reason, I picture a thin little man with dark rings under his eyes, horn rimmed glasses and five empty Red Bull cans laying around him. Oh yeah, and a slide rule sticking out of his pocket in a little leather sheath.

Just hope they remember if they are using standard or metric numbers when they calculate. Remember a few years ago they lost an explorer (I think a Mars lander) due to the fact that the guy who decided when retro rockets should fire, chutes deploy and release mixed some standard and metric calculations, and well apparently falling from a great height on Mars has a similar effect as it does on earth.

Back
Top Bottom