The Swallowtail Hummingbird

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Goldhedge

GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
Thanks for the Hobbies forum! What a great idea!!

Here's what I do in my spare time when not playing pickleball....

I made the inlay out of pieces of yellow abalone, red-lipped abalone, black-lipped abalone and the tail feathers are from the edge of the shell. Pearl dot eye. I forget what the branch is from - abalone of some kind.

IMG_5504.jpg

The wood is from Jamaica where the Swallowtail Hummingbird lives (among other places)

IMG_5506.jpg

Spruce makes a great soundboard because of it's straight grain

IMG_5507.jpg

Sound hole has abalone dots and black (died) wood in a diamond shape, maple is the whiter wood.

IMG_5569.jpeg

The 'dots' are little humming birds

IMG_5524.jpg

IMG_5525.jpg

This is how I cut them out using a jeweler's saw and Black Lipped abalone. Printed out birds on computer and glued to shell.

Router bit was to cut the hole they sit in.

IMG_5505.jpg

Here is a picture of a Swallowtail Hummingbird (Trochilus Polytmus) in the wild and where I got the idea

Trochilus Polytmus 3 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have a next door neighbor that built guitars (in his garage) for a living. He got divorced and moved away. The (ex-)wife is still there. She doesn't make guitars though. /csb

That guitar looks great. Nice work.

I made the inlay out of pieces of yellow abalone, red-lipped abalone, black-lipped abalone and the tail feathers are from the edge of the shell. Pearl dot eye. I forget what the branch is from - abalone of some kind.

View attachment 1364

The wood is from Jamaica where the Swallowtail Hummingbird lives (among other places)

View attachment 1366

View attachment 1367

Sound hole has abalone dots and black (died) wood in a diamond shape, maple is the whiter wood.

View attachment 1368

View attachment 1369

View attachment 1370

This is how I cut them out using a jeweler's saw and Black Lipped abalone. Printed out birds on computer and glued to shell.

View attachment 1365

Here is a picture of a Swallowtail Hummingbird (Trochilus Polytmus) in the wild and where I got the idea

View attachment 1372
Simply exquisite GH. Standing applause!

View attachment 1364

View attachment 1366

View attachment 1367

View attachment 1368

View attachment 1369

View attachment 1370

View attachment 1365

View attachment 1372

Beautiful work.

Back
Top Bottom