Trump considering yuge blow to the "inflation tax"

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
President Donald Trump said he’s considering a capital gains tax break by issuing a regulation that would index gains to inflation.
The capital gains change would slash tax bills for investors when selling assets such as stock or real estate by adjusting the original purchase price for inflation. The change has been a longtime goal of Trump’s top economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, who says the policy would spur job creation and economic growth because people wouldn’t be taxed on what he’s called “phantom income.”

https://www.sfgate.com/business/art...ing-About-Indexing-Capital-Gains-13194688.php

This could have huge implications for precious metals investing. It's an interesting end around to the whole sound money issue.

:popcorn:

In computer terminology, that would be known as a 'hack' which is something used to AVOID fixing the REAL issue. The real issue is the LACK OF DISCIPLINE when money is not defined by some real, SOLID asset, typically GOLD.

Indexing is an end run around the REAL issue, but DOES enforce some discipline UNTIL the government fiddles with the numbers. And make no mistake, if indexing is enacted, the government WILL fiddle with the inflation numbers even more than they do now.

Yes, I agree, but I think there isn't sufficient political will to effect a proper solution at this time. I'm hopeful that if indexing becomes reality that more of the unwashed masses might begin to understand the fundamental underlying issue.

Back
Top Bottom