Very cool bunker!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

neat job.

You need stable and ideally free draining ground, to maintain that airgap long term though.

Telling the natives its for wine storage or perhaps a darkroom for developing analogue pics is a great idea too. A garden shed with flip up floor over the entrance and more discreet air vents and the jobs a good un.

Ive seen 40 ft shipping containers put to some interesting uses -

http://www.treehugger.com/modular-design/shipping-container-prefab.html (-;

Rblong, did you catch the part where he said "it's time to stucco the sides of the hole"? I wouyld use Gunnite, a sprayed on concrete that can be sprayed on a surface with wire mesh attached to it, forming a sort of vertical slab. I would then marsite the whole thing to make it water impermeable. Of course, living in Florida, I would have to build the thing above ground, then add a shitload of dirt around it to terraform a sort of fake hill.

yup gunnite spray would stabilise a lot of locations but not all. Any hydrostatic pressure trying to push it in would likely succeed, if you succeeded in getting it waterproof.

Its something of a compromise. If you do too good a job you might as well design and build a cellar or cover over an existing swimming pool.

The artificial hill hiding bunker 2 is a neat solution for disposing of the dirt generated by your other bunker though.

Gents...this is a good thread.

I am currently investigating feasibility of putting a shelter on some property and the shipping container option has come to my attention.

While I wouldn't bury it, at least the main shelter, the utility of the container seems to be excellent.

There are prefab containers out there that are already decked out with insulation, power and HVAC. See here:

http://www.pacvan.com/ground-level-offices

These appear to be very secure.

Alternatively, you have something like this:

Has anyone else attempted a project using shipping containers? What's the wisdom of the audience out there?

You can get a regular container, spray Icynene on the walls and ceiling, then finish out the inside. There's no puzzles here.

BTW, those guys have some nice set ups.

Why Switzerland Has 374,142 Bunkers (and likely more)​

Johnny Harris
Dec 21, 2022

I went to Switzerland to hunt for bunkers, something I’ve been planning and dreaming about for years. The result wasn’t just a wild trip through the mountains. It was an uncovering of something much deeper: the story of this peculiar country and the cost and benefits of choosing neutrality.
29:22

Check out all my sources for this video here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O...

I would have one deep and then have an entrance in the forest thru an old tree trunk like Hogan's Heroes.

In-Depth Tour of Quonset Hut Underground Built in 2011​

Premiered Sep 3, 2023

14:54

Then and Now - 12 years later! Zero water issues - zero moisture and same as it was when finished, which is quite rare for Undergrounds in the Pacific Northwest that rains constantly from November till May/June.
This Quonset Hut Underground was built around 2011.
In this video, we revisit the site for the first time since 2011 and share an in-depth tour of how it was built, reasoning for certain building techniques and address a few questions people have asked over the past few months.
If you have any additional questions, leave a comment or send us an email!
Thank you for viewing and click the Thumbs UP button if you enjoyed this video and found it informative!

Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@VikingShelters/videos

From luxury bunkers to tactical vehicles, the ultra-rich are preparing for the Big One​

In December, Wired magazine revealed that Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Meta and one of the richest individuals on the planet, was building a $100-million US compound in Hawaii.

The fact that Zuckerberg is undertaking a nine-figure renovation is hardly revelatory. The more telling detail is that the compound includes a bunker — 5,000 square feet, to be specific, with concrete walls and an escape hatch.

What does this tell us? It's a sign that at least some of the ultra-rich are anxious about global events and are making contingency plans for the Big One — whatever form that may take.

The feeling is very much in the air. Architectural Digest named "luxury bunkers" one of the real estate trends of 2023, and a finely appointed redoubt figured prominently in the recent Netflix thriller Leave the World Behind.

Brian Cramden, president of Hardened Structures, a Virginia-based firm that builds multimillion-dollar fortified homes and bomb shelters, said work has been "steady" for years but that he has seen a "major uptick in the last two, three months."

"With Putin and North Korea and what's going on in Gaza, I'm getting lots of inquiries," he said. "It's [wars], it's Trump, it's the divisiveness of the nation."

More:

I had forgotten this old thread existed when I posted about Zuck's bunker in a new thread:

The more telling detail is that the compound includes a bunker — 5,000 square feet, to be specific, with concrete walls and an escape hatch.
Does it have ventilation ducts that outsiders can pour gasoline into?

Back
Top Bottom