Vid/ EMP/ power grid

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

If a Nuke hits close enough to your power grid infrastructure for EMP waves to disable it, you will likely have bigger problems than just a lack of electricity.

That said, natural disasters can also take out (local) power grids for a time. I live on the Gulf coast and have had the power out for several days after a hurricane. I was fortunate though. There were parts of the Houston area that had to wait for 3 weeks to get power back.

It was not fun, but it's manageable, especially if the power outage is localized to a small area. A wider spread outage without hope for short term fix would be devastating to civilization. IMO, society breakdown likely occurrs within 3 days or so when the vast majority of people start getting desperate for clean water and food. $.02

If a Nuke hits close enough to your power grid infrastructure for EMP waves to disable it, you will likely have bigger problems than just a lack of electricity.

That said, natural disasters can also take out (local) power grids for a time. I live on the Gulf coast and have had the power out for several days after a hurricane. I was fortunate though. There were parts of the Houston area that had to wait for 3 weeks to get power back.

It was not fun, but it's manageable, especially if the power outage is localized to a small area. A wider spread outage without hope for short term fix would be devastating to civilization. IMO, society breakdown likely occurrs within 3 days or so when the vast majority of people start getting desperate for clean water and food. $.02

The issue with an EMP is that instantaneously knocking out a section of the grid, destabilizes the balance by throwing synchronization efforts into disarray, resulting in a domino effect.

Golden Regards
Uncle

Back
Top Bottom