Watch Collecting with <SLV>: "Becoming a Collector"

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

<SLV>

Big Eyed Bug
GIM2 Refugee
Reaction score
casio calculator watch.png

BECOMING A COLLECTOR

When I was in 7th grade, I had a Casio calculator watch. I don’t remember where I got it; probably was a Christmas gift from one of my uncles. I do remember feeling that it gave me some sort of superpower. Like it was an external brain upgrade. Not only could I access the time and date at a glance (even in the dark with the light up function!), but I could also time things with the stopwatch, or I could perform basic math accurately as long as my fingernail could press the correct little rubber buttons. But best of all, I could spell “hELLO” upside down by entering the numbers 07734. This, of course, was very useful.

To keep my superpower somewhat secret I devised clever ways to wear my watch clandestinely, such as underneath a white and red Wilson sweatband on my wrist, or (my favorite) on my ankle – then I could cross my legs in math class and secretly access my superpower. Yeah, I was the cool kid in Junior High (I even carried one of my dad’s old suitcase style briefcases. Later I upgraded to a fanny pack.). The Casio calculator watch can still be purchased today for about $25.

In high school I went through a few fashion watches (“mall watches,” as they are ignominiously known by serious collectors), but eventually I quit wearing watches when I started carrying a digital pager or mobile phone in the late 90s.

Then in 2015 I started working with a successful businessman who purchased luxury watches as trophies to celebrate success milestones. He showed me the Rolex Oyster Perpetual (silver dial) that he was wearing, and I showed him the Samsung Gear Fit 2 that I was wearing. I’m not sure either of us was that impressed with the other’s choice. For a Rolex, I thought the stainless-steel Oyster Perpetual with silver dial looked rather plain and dull. I couldn’t understand why someone would spend $5,000 on it. He explained that he chose that particular model because it was very subtle and didn’t attract much attention. Ok, I guess.

This began to open my eyes and mind to a world with which I was only vaguely familiar due to occasional interludes with magazine advertisements seen in waiting rooms. I knew the names Rolex, Tag Heuer, and Breitling primarily, but I didn’t really know anything about them. I could see by the ads that very cool people wore them, and I surmised you had to be rich to own one. Of course, culture had informed me that Rolex was the best brand out there… assuming that “culture” itself is well informed.

Because I respected this businessman and wanted to form a bond with him, I sought to be more informed regarding luxury watches. I had a friend at church who was a watch enthusiast, so I asked him where to go to start learning. He pointed me to hodinkee.com, and thus began my journey to becoming a watch collector. As an engineer, precision metrology as well as the incredibly manufacturing techniques necessary to produce such tiny machines fascinates me greatly. On top of that, being left-handed I have an acute affinity for the artistic, and I discovered in mechanical luxury watches a melding of the pinnacle of mechanical engineering with the pinnacle of art and design.

Today I own about two dozen watches. Am I a watch collector? No. I don’t think so. I am an owner of watches, and this disappoints me. I have an assortment, but not a collection. I can look at my watches and trace my education in horology and the evolution of my tastes. I see purchases I regret and purchases of which I am fond. Even some of the watches I like (and will keep forever) are not watches I would buy today due to how I have grown in understanding and personal taste. However, I have an emotional attachment to them because of what they meant to me at the time I purchased them. But they just don’t get the same amount of wrist time anymore. The watches I regret are those that represented a brief phase in my journey where I was obsessed with a new niche of understanding. For the most part, they are very inexpensive and quirky watches that fall below the level of quality that I want to own in a watch collection. But they were cheap, and I bought them impulsively without thinking about whether they should be in a collection.

This begs the question, what is the difference between an owner of watches and a collector of watches? It can be summed up in two words: Intent and Discipline.

A true collector will have a clearly defined reason(s) for collecting that gives harmony to all the pieces in his collection. It could be a certain style of watch (like pilot or dive watches), a specific brand, a time period (for vintage collectors), unusual functions (like perpetual calendar watches, chronographs, or moon phase), etc, or any combination thereof. The possibilities are endless. The really hardcore collectors get so narrow in the focus of their collection that at first glance all of their watches look identical. However, under close observation minor variations can be seen to differentiate them. And I guarantee that you will find no group of people more obsessed with minor variations than watch collectors!

This brings me to the second point, discipline. A true collector with clear intent will exercise restraint in purchasing watches and will wait for the right buying opportunity for exactly the right piece. The collector will also understand that sometimes less is more. Just because a watch could be in the collection doesn’t mean it should be in the collection. Knowing what not to buy is possibly more important than knowing what to buy, because you will do a lot more “not buying” than buying. A restrained collection is more enjoyable than a broad-ranging assortment of watches.

(continued in next post)

Last edited by a moderator:
So how does someone go about defining the parameters within which their collection will be built? I don’t have a definitive answer, but I have some suggestions.

1. Know your style.

I live in a small farmhouse in rural Wisconsin along the Mississippi River Valley. I can appreciate a Southwestern-style stucco Spanish ranch house, but it would look out of place next door. However, it would not look out of place in Arizona. Likewise, I can appreciate the geometry and simplicity of ultra-modernist interior design, but it wouldn’t be the right style for my farmhouse bathroom.

I was looking at my “watch list” in Ebay recently, and I noticed that the 50 or so watches in my list all have some common aesthetic points. Subconsciously I have begun to favor certain points of design. After 7 years of obsessive research and many watch purchases, I am just beginning to figure out my style. Or better said, I am beginning to understand the role that style should play in my watch collection. There are a lot of watches out there that I absolutely love for what they are, but I should not own them. Somebody should (and will), but not me.

Things that factor into style include wrist size, typical activities, formality of fashion, personality, social status, etc. I am reminded of the scene from “Joe Versus the Volcano” where the limo chauffeur scolds Tom Hank’s character because he asked him where he should go to buy clothes. The driver says, “The clothes make the man, and you are asking me to tell you who you are.” Before you buy a watch just because it is an awesome watch, pause and ask yourself who you are, and consider if the watch is a match for your style.

Never, ever, buy a watch because it is popular! You can love and appreciate the design while understanding that it just isn’t you.

2. Find Your Niche

It is impossible to learn everything about all the different brands, their histories, patents, product lines, etc. But it is possible to learn everything about one particular brand or one particular complication. While you are learning about mechanical time keeping, something(s) is going to strike you as particularly interesting. Lean into it and dig. It could be that you have discovered a niche that will become the hallmark of your collection.

I personally enjoy getting off the beaten path (or bandwagon) and looking in the tall weeds for overlooked timepieces that are not popularly collected. Oftentimes these pieces are exceptional values because they do not see the same collector demand. What makes them even more attractive to me is that they fly under the radar when out in public.

3. Set Limits

How big should a watch collection be? How much should the watches in your collection cost? There is no right answer to these questions, but you should try to answer them before starting your collection.

Lately I have been thinking that I would like to reduce the number of watches I own to six. The number is somewhat arbitrary, but it seems to me that with six watches I should be able to have a watch for any occasion. Then again, maybe three is enough. A big idea in the watch collecting community is the “One Watch Collection.” I believe this is strictly theoretical because I don’t know anyone who is serious about watches who owns only one. It seems to be rooted in the pursuit of the perfect watch – one that fits every occasion or circumstance… and doesn’t exist.

The cost of luxury watches is truly astounding (and frankly, borderline profane). Even if I had the money, I don’t think I could morally justify spending the price that some watches command. Maybe only if I could justify it as an investment, but that would be quite risky and speculative. Taken further, because I live on a rather modest budget, it stands to reason that I should not be spending five figures on a watch. In reality, I have not even spent four figures on a watch, even though there have been times I could have. I have a hard time justifying spending that much on something I don’t actually need, especially when I consider other household upgrades that could be accomplished and better appreciated by my whole family. Now, my business associate, on the other hand, can drop $10,000 on a watch purchase without blinking, and it wouldn’t be a sacrifice for him in any way.

The thing is, we must all know our limits. The good news is that it is possible to build an interesting collection of hundred-dollar watches.

4. Don’t Settle; Save

The watch industry is full of copycat designs. Even among the luxury brands. Good style becomes widely accepted by the consumer, then it is “borrowed” by other brands. The day will come when you fall in love with an ideal timepiece that requires you to save (maybe for a year or more). While you are saving, you will discover another excellent brand that has a very similar watch for a much lower price. Inevitably, it will be an inferior timepiece in some way, but you will feel a strong urge to convince yourself that you will be just as happy with the similar watch as you would be with the original watch you really want. This temptation will be amplified by the fact that you already have enough to buy the similar watch. Don’t. Do. It. This is the primary way that watch collection regrets occur.

In fact, never collect any watch because it looks like the nicer one you can’t afford. If you really want an Omega, don’t buy the Citizen that looks similar. Every time you look at the Citizen you will be reminded that you can’t afford (or didn’t save to buy) the Omega you really want. If your elbow itches, scratching your knee won’t help. But if you want to add a Citizen to your collection, the buy the Citizen for what it is, not what it isn’t.

If the price of the watch you really want falls within the limits you have set for your collection, then save what it will take to buy it. When you finally make that purchase you will appreciate it so much more.

5. Research, Research, Research… then spend

After I started reading Hodinkee and researching all of the brands I waited a year before making my first purchase, and it was only $250. I am glad I bought this watch, even though it isn’t something I would likely buy today because my tastes have evolved.

When I think back to my initial prejudices 7 years ago, it is funny that I now prefer brands that didn’t interest me at all back then. I also prefer watches sized much smaller (39-42mm instead of the 42-46mm I used to prefer). Back then I didn’t realize how much I would prefer lightweight titanium watches to stainless steel, how that watch thickness would be more important to me than diameter, and that I would grow to appreciate simple dials over complicated designs. I am still constantly learning. I research brand websites. I scour eBay to see what second-hand prices are doing.

In hindsight, maybe being an owner of watches is a necessary step toward becoming a collector. The experience of handling and wearing the watches is something greater than just looking at pictures or reading reviews. Someday I hope to have a collection rather than an assortment. I am still figuring out what that collection should look like. But I am pretty sure I know what it shouldn’t look like. And that is why I am selling three watches on eBay right now.

I also had one of those CASIO calculator watches. In my case, I know exactly how I got it. I bought it myself with money I had saved (as a kid).

tenor.gif

I also had one of those CASIO calculator watches. In my case, I know exactly how I got it. I bought it myself with money I had saved (as a kid).
It was really the original smart watch!

Her I thought the thread was going to be a video about you starting collecting Gold and Silver or maybe even Pre-82 Pennies!

Watch Collecting with <SLV>: "Becoming a Collector"​

Boy, was I mistaking......

tenor.gif
I had one at some point too. No recollection of acquirement though.

Does bring back pleasant, previously vaulted memories though. (y)

I am hoping to do a weekly series on the topic as time allows. Might not be much interest in the subject, but I enjoy puting my thoughts down in writing. Maybe someone else here will start collecting. Who knows.

I have recently gotten into collecting vintage Japanese watches. I have a dealer in Thailand and one in Vietnam where I get pretty good deals on vintage JDM Seiko and Citizen. I prefer 1965-1973.

20240314_143432.jpg
Screenshot_20240309_165635_Messenger.jpg
IMG-20240307-WA0005.jpg
20230821_185555.jpg
20231016_163148.jpg

Jacobs and Co putting out some pretty fine watches. Around the 1/2 mil mark but I can see them being worth some serious money in the future.

Jacobs and Co putting out some pretty fine watches. Around the 1/2 mil mark but I can see them being worth some serious money in the future.
Yes. The Bugatti Chiron watch is fascinating. My daughter loves the Astronomia series. But these watches are huge and impractical - they really are just excessive jewelry.

My favorite is the Twin Turbo Furious.

However, my budget favors the $100 vintage Seiko and Citizen watches.

My dad had a Timex with twist-o-flex band.

Back
Top Bottom