What's Crackin' in the GARDEN?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Getting ready to plant a small garden (in the burbs, so space is very limited). Got some tomatos, various peppers, eggplant, celery, greens, etc.

Did you punch drainage holes in the buckets? Do you put a layer of rocks in them before adding soil?

I've got a several (small) raised and framed beds right now - planting with the square foot gardening method.

Did you punch drainage holes in the buckets? Do you put a layer of rocks in them before adding soil?

I've got a several (small) raised and framed beds right now - planting with the square foot gardening method.

Yes and yes.

I've got 45 acres to play with and I still prefer container gardening. Here are some 100 gallon water tanks turned into gardens. We plant potatoes in them.

IMG_3884.JPG

What's holding those 4x4's up?

After you load six 5 gal buckets with water and soil... will it hold the load?

What's holding those 4x4's up?

After you load six 5 gal buckets with water and soil... will it hold the load?

There are 2x4's on edge running under the center of each bucket. Plus the two on either side of the tops supporting. Each 2x4 in this orientation has a moment of inertia of 5.36 in^4. Shouldn't be a problem. If I were worried about it, I could always use 2x6's instead. Each one of those would have a moment of inertia of 20.8 in^4. But I think that would be overkill.

Got some sand cherries and elderberries coming along nicely...
elderberries.jpg
sandcherries.jpg

Raspberry runners are coming in nicely this spring...
raspberries.jpg

Mulberries forming on the branch...
mulberries.jpg

Got some nice shots of rain this past week, and things are taking shape nicely.
We'll be getting most of the garden planted in the next couple of weeks...

The zucchini onslaught has begun. Picked the second one today. The first one is pictured (in part) here, on the grill:

1687731124551.png

Also been eating radishes, and a few strawberries. The strawberry plants are not yet well established; we'll get a few this year, but should have a nice crop next year.

Also have a big crop of mulberries. Did a batch of mulberry syrup the other day, and made a mulberry crisp. Probably another batch of syrup in the near future.
1687731340410.png

1687731366200.png

We have enjoyed celery, cucumbers, eggplant, jalepenos, chard and okra. Tomatoes didn't produce this year (it's way too hot for them already).

Coming along nicely. The zucchini onslaught is continuing. Can't stop that now. Picked a few cucumbers, but most of them are a ways away yet. Picking a few strawberries here and there. Beets and radishes producing nicely in a raised bed.

Lettuce also doing well in a raised bed:

1688502850439.png

A few cherry tomatoes getting close. The full size tomatoes will be a while yet, but some of the romas are forming on the vine.

1688502916424.png

Squash is forming on the vine. Acorn and butternut shown here...spaghetti squash also taking form.

1688502976037.png
1688502998488.png

Raspberries are starting...getting just a few, but another week to ten days and we should be picking nice bunches of raspberries.

1688503052930.png

A few peppers formed on the plant...

1688503087376.png

Corn and beans looking good, but still a few weeks away for the beans and longer for the corn.
Mulberries are about done, but I did get another batch of syrup done. Sand cherries will be next, but a couple weeks away yet.

Might do another picking of rhubarb...I could go for another rhubarb crisp right about now...

Picked up a few best-in-class awards in the open division at the local county fair. So I would appreciate it if everyone would henceforth refer to me as "county fair award winning gardener Jarrod32". :cool::rolleyes:šŸ˜

Admittedly, a small county and not a lot of entries. Some of the divisions may have been uncontested.
But that is not going to stop us from referring to our squash and raspberries as "award-winning".

1690770758456.png

Picked up a few best-in-class awards in the open division at the local county fair. So I would appreciate it if everyone would henceforth refer to me as "county fair award winning gardener Jarrod32". :cool::rolleyes:šŸ˜

Admittedly, a small county and not a lot of entries. Some of the divisions may have been uncontested.
But that is not going to stop us from referring to our squash and raspberries as "award-winning".

View attachment 9555
How awesome and fun! Well done sir.

My back and shoulders are sore. I spent the better part of yesterday (late morning/early afternoon) and today (early morning) spreading 3 cubic yards of mulch on our landscaping using a shovel and a bucket. I failed to mulch last year, so the beds sorely needed it right now to help the soil retain moisture with this infernal heat wave + drought we are having.

In the veggie gardens, our eggplants seemed to just stop producing around a week ago and the eggplant fruits that had started growing just stopped and weren't worth eating (super bitter). The only plants in the veggie gardens that are still producing anything edible are okra and jalepeno peppers. Everything else is just wilting in the Texas summer heat wave.

Winding down for the year, as we had our first freeze a couple nights ago. We've picked the last of the tomatoes, but have canned a lot of pasta and pizza sauce. We picked the last of the squash, and we had a good crop of squash this year. The cucumbers we done a while ago, but we put up several jars of pickles again. Some beans and corn in the freezer as well. Lots of raspberries as well, but they are done now too. We had a really good crop of apples on our best tree, so we have been canning a lot of apple butter. Gotta do a lot of it in the good years, because the tree doesn't produce every year.
1697682503551.png

We have a good batch of pumpkin as well, so been busy baking and puree the pumpkin for the freezer. And always set aside some for a couple loaves of pumpkin bread...
1697682726588.png

1697682767232.png

Soon time to mow down and till in the garden for the winter...

Sounds awesome! Unfortunately we had an unusually harsh summer here with record heat (2 months straight with 100+degF highs) and drought (zero measurable rain). Pretty much everything except the Jalapeno and Okra died on me months ago.

Back
Top Bottom