ebay premiums for gold and silver

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DoChenRollingBearing

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Earlier today I saw at the 24hgold/eBay widget that the premium for Gold Eagles is a bit over 8% (for silver at something 48%!!!). 8% is a little high, but I have seen it at 19% (after they bashed gold in September).

The widget (for newer members here) is IMPERFECT (for various reasons I imagine), but is useful as one indicator of physical gold scarcity. You can find it at the bottom of this page:

24hgold.com

The ebay widget that pmbug is showing on the home page (logged in members can click the down arrow corresponding to eBay Market Data to see) from goldprice.org appears to have done a little better job on their filtering. They are showing a 23% premium for an ASE.

I messed around with ebay's developer system to generate my own table and I can tell you that the data is generated by submitting a search string. You have to be careful to filter out sales of graded numismatic coins and low cost items like plastic cases if you want to get decent data for bullion. Based upon the numbers I saw, I don't think that 24hgold is filtering out the graded numismatic sales.

Thread re 24hgold/eBay Widget

The imperfect 24hgold/eBay widget now shows the following premiums of Gold Eagles and Silver Eagles to spot:

AGEs: 13.6% (relatively high, typically is 5.5% - 8.5%)
ASEs: 32.4% (also pretty high, typically 19% or so)

At the bottom of their home page: 24hgold.com

Since I am too lazy to set up an Excel spreadsheet to track these premiums, maybe YOU could do this one PMBug! You know, with all that spare time you have... :)

I have noticed one pattern there at the widget: when gold is taken down, there is a BIG LAG in sellers lowering their prices (understandable). I am going to guess that there may not be too much useful info doing that, but since I have not really investigated I do not know.

ANYONE is invited to do this, I just am too pressed...

Back
Top Bottom