Holy shit!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

For those of us that can't get the video to work, can you give us the cliff notes?
Guy got stopped by police with 20000 USD in cash with him in his car. He agreed to get searched :flushed: Police seized the money "because he couldn't proove it wasn't drug money" and had been suspected of cocaine posession 20some years ago. He actually wanted to buy a car with it. The retarded police officer even agreed to talk about it on camera. The victim got his money back months later after he pressured them with the media. He claims the police falsified the report on the search. Now he left the state to live in New Jersey.

It has also been going on for quite some time now. Even Ron Pauls guys have been picked up and ripped off for carrying cash - legal tender. And a whole lotta other people unable to work the court system to get it back...

We've let the DEA keep the things they steal, so they are no longer under government control (RICO act, misused). We put the patent office on "fee only" basis - same deal - they only get paid if they grant even bogus patents, used by the bigs to prevent competition by the smalls.

Isn't the definition of fascism the getting together of government and big money so you can't tell the difference anymore, the loss of all the checks and balances? Well, here we are. Frog all boiled now, stick a fork in it.

His mistake was:
a) admitting he was carrying large amounts of cash. (not the policeman's business), and
b) in allowing the police to search his car without any warrant or reasonable suspicion.

Saying no to a cop who wants a search now constitutes reasonable grounds for suspicion, didn't you know that? It's much more true in the south (near the border or within 500 miles or so) but it's true everywhere in the US, and has been for a long time.

All they need is to decide you look hinky - or black, or hispanic, or well off but not the type of grooming most well off people (used to) show.

There are many, many reports of this kind of thing, going back some years, this is not new news at all - it's commonplace. You also lose all civil rights within a few hundred miles of any border crossing, and that one has survived court tests.

This has been reported for many years on various web sites, including those dedicated to "security" that have some credibility, not just the tinfoil hat ones.

Saying no to a cop who wants a search now constitutes reasonable grounds for suspicion, didn't you know that? It's much more true in the south (near the border or within 500 miles or so) but it's true everywhere in the US, and has been for a long time.

All they need is to decide you look hinky - or black, or hispanic, or well off but not the type of grooming most well off people (used to) show.

There are many, many reports of this kind of thing, going back some years, this is not new news at all - it's commonplace. You also lose all civil rights within a few hundred miles of any border crossing, and that one has survived court tests.

This has been reported for many years on various web sites, including those dedicated to "security" that have some credibility, not just the tinfoil hat ones.

Sort of...clearly anything is suspicious to some retard that is looking to advance his career by bringing in the goods as opposed to using sound judgement on the street, as is the case in the video. But even suspicion isn't probable cause, which is what he would need in order to search without permission.

For those that don't know, there are 7 exceptions to the warrantless search, and easily memorized using the acronym A.C.H.I.E.V.O.

Abandoned property
Consent
Hot Pursuit
Incident to arrest
Emergency/Exigent circumstances
Vehicle - sort of a long story but based on the Carroll Doctrine from the bootlegging days
Open View

I can go much more into detail about any of these if anyone is interested.

This guy, unfortuantely, gave consent to search. The policeman then had the legal right to be digging around in the car, however, as we all know here, he was completely in the wrong for seizing the money. Police routinely ask for consent to search just to see what they find. They don't need a reason to ask for consent, all that is important in that instance is that you either give it to them, or you don't.

I was a cop a long time ago and did this quite a bit while on night shift and actually had some success in drug interdiction. You'd actually be suprised at the number of people who will let you search their person or vehicle while they are holding contraband!

This type of police work isn't consistent with my current views, as they have changed dramatically with age. I do, however acknowledge that there is a time and place for it.

DCF - I would challenge the search of my vehicle on the grounds that my vehicle is my private and personal property just like my house.
Commonplace or not, that action by the police is just plain wrong.

Back
Top Bottom