Premiums

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

superhero

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
When I become interested in something, I usually do a lot of research and comparison shop, looking for the best price around. With PMs, you can always go to www.comparesilverprices.com, or www.comparegoldprices.com, but they don't list Goldmart, and the sites don't don't mention minimums. So I put together a small table with 3 retailers that offer competitive pricing in the quantities I usually buy in.

I got rid of a few, e.g. Tulving because I don't buy in those quantities, and a few others, e.g. Kitco, BullionDirect, Silvertown because I didn't like their method of payment (wiring $ is expensive), high premiums, or high shipping fees.

.................Goldmart.....Liberty CPM.....APMEX*
Platinum Bar.....+$54.99......+$73.00.........+$69.99
Gold Bar.........+$24.99......+$31.00.........+$44.99
Gold Buffalo.....+$62.99......+$66.56.........+$79.99
Gold Maple.......+$42.99......+$40.00.........+$54.99
Gold Eagle.......+$62.99......+$66.56.........+$79.99
Silver Bar........+$1.49.......+$1.80..........+$2.49
Silver Buffalo....+$0.89.......+$1.10..........+$2.49
Silver Maple......+$2.09.......+$2.30..........+$3.59
Silver Eagle......+$2.59.......+$2.75..........+$3.99

* APMEX prices are assuming purchasing 20-99 oz of silver, 1-9 oz of gold.

Goldmart is usually the cheaper option, but once in a while, APMEX will offer deals along with free shipping that sways things in their favor. Liberty is an hour away if I decide I don't want to pay for shipping on small(er) quantities.

Am I forgetting anyone?

My local coin shop charges 5.5% - 6.0% almost everytime I buy, whether 1 oz or three ounces.

EDIT:

That would be 1 oz American Gold Eagles.

Mine charges:

$65 on gold Maples
$85 on gold Buffaloes and Eagles.
$2.50 on generic silver
$3.50 on silver Maples
$4.50 on silver eagles

I don't buy from him much.

I list Goldmart on my site :D

I also index only the price for one coin. Do you mean that some of these sites that list the price for one coin, actually require you to buy 20, for example, when you try to buy it?

If you guys have any suggestions for info you want to see in my tables, just let me know. I aim to please.

EDIT:
Are the premiums reflected in the prices, or do you not see the premium until checkout?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom