US Mint sales of gold and silver eagles

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
With 6 business days remaining in 2011, US Silver Eagle sales are at 39,868,500, only 131,500 ounces away from 40 million ounces sold for 2011.

Month to date the US Mint has sold just over 2 million ounces, putting sales totals on pace to end 2011 at approximately 40,600,000, shattering the mint's 2010 record sales total of US Mint Gold Eagle sales for 2011 have hit exactly 1,000,000 ounces sold (includes 1oz, half, quarter, and 1/10th oz coins- total number of coins sold=1.48 million).

Unlike Silver Eagle sales which smashed previous records, 2011 Gold Eagle sales are actually down 20% from 2010 which saw 1.22 million ounces sold, and down 30% from 2009, which saw 1.435 million ounces sold.

More: http://silverdoctors.blogspot.com/2011/12/2011-us-gold-eagle-mint-sales-hit-1.html

Interesting that US Mint sales confirm what Turk and Sprott have been saying about dollars going in to silver and gold at a 1:1 pace. GSR @ ~53 is heavy on gold when demand appears to be 1:40 right now.

Your post just catalyzed a question in my mind PMBug...

Does anyone here have any idea how much money is invested in (physical) silver vs. gold?

Maybe the $ value of the Eagles is a reasonably good proxy for the public at large.

1:1. To me, that is a little bit of a surprise. My Au is about 78% of my PM holdings ($ value). But, silver IS more affordable...

Sales data compiled by the U.S. mint shows that 412,000 ounces in various denominations of American Eagle Gold bullion coins were sold in the first quarter of 2021, up more than 88% from the first quarter of 2020.

This is the largest sales pace for the mint since the third quarter of 1999.
The latest mint data is in line with what Ronald-Peter Stoeferle, fund management at Incrementum AG, said he saw in the precious metals market. In a recent interview with Kitco News, Stoeferle said that investors are trying to protect themselves against the rising threat of inflation.

He noted that in February, Comex delivered 113 tonnes of physical gold to investors, which is about five times the historical average.

Back
Top Bottom