Hoard of gold coins found at Israel Crusades site

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
2012-07-09T163028Z_271772237_GM1E87A01DS01_RTRMADP_3_ISRAEL.JPG

A 1,000-year-old hoard of gold coins has been unearthed at a famous Crusader battleground where Christian and Muslim forces once fought for control of the Holy Land, Israeli archaeologists said on Wednesday.

The treasure was dug up from the ruins of a castle in Arsuf, a strategic stronghold during the religious conflict waged in the 12th and 13th centuries.

The 108 coins - one of the biggest collections of ancient coins discovered in Israel - were found hidden in a ceramic jug beneath a tile floor at the cliff-top coastal ruins, 15 km (9 miles) from Tel Aviv.

http://news.yahoo.com/hoard-gold-coins-found-israel-crusades-114326841.html

Interesting. These are Arabic coins by the way. They only contain letters because pictures were prohibited for Muslims.

1000 years old and still worth something. Show me a 1000 year old FRN. Or better yet, don't.

Now to sell them at numismatic prices, buy bullion with the proceeds, celebrate by going on a cruise with the bullion (I'm sure nothing tragic will happen).

pretty awesome find, 14 oz's in total, not to shabby. i saw an expert valued the find at close to $500,000.

Back
Top Bottom