Mercury Dimes

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

superhero

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a bag or three of 90% coins.

The premiums on Walking Liberties and Franklin Halves have shot up $0.50 in the past 2 weeks, so Mercury Dimes are en vogue.

What's the opinion on Mercury Dimes around here?

@ superhero

Seconded! Just don't buy all your silver at one time. Scale in. Buy now, buy later!

Don't forget about fractional gold (1/4th oz, 1/10th oz, etc.), although 1/10th oz Eagles are now not available in the city where I am.

Like Penn said, love em, got a bunch. Bough some rolls when junk silver wasn't cool (think it was 50-60 dollars a roll.) Boy those days are gone. Interesting video out there about how the average wage for most of mankind was one dimes worth of silver a day.

The deal with Mercury dimes vs. other forms of 90% is [potential] wear. If you are buying based upon face value (ie. buying a bag of $100 face or whatever), you can get shorted a bit on silver content if the dimes are well worn. It's best to buy Mercury dimes by weight (troy ounces).

The reason half dollars usually command a slight premium for 90% is because they are generally in great condition (little wear) and retain their full silver content.

easier to read the date for those of us older- where as roosevelts can be hard to read

heres ONE video about it, there are many out there....:

snip:
The silver value in a denarius is $2.40. That is the very most an average ancient worker was paid per day. If you make significantly more than $2.40/day, you are doing LIGHT YEARS better than the worker 2,000 years ago. Sounds like silver is a bargain to me.

The retailer in mind must be reading my posts. They increased the premium on walking liberties when I was getting ready to purchase, now they've increased the premiums on Mercury dimes just as I'm getting ready to buy.

FWIW, when I first joined the site, I was figuring out what would "cost" the least in terms of premiums if I bought and sold, i.e. what premium do I pay when I buy, and how much over spot do I get back if I sell.

My conclusion then and now is buy maples and ASEs from Goldmart and sell to APMEX. You lose $0.89 per oz. 90% silver used to make sense, but 90% seemingly becoming more scarce and premiums going up, it doesn't pencil out anymore.

Right now I am paying a 3% premium for dimes, quarters and halves at my local coin shop. No shipping or insurance cost either. Is this typical?

BTW: the last time I went into my local shop, he said that he is running out and no one was selling. Is this also happening around the country?

Back
Top Bottom