Stack Transport

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Related to my very first post on this website:
http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f3/silver-storage-661/

I have over the past few months gotten back into buying silver. While I am a big fan, silver lacks the concentration of wealth of gold or platinum. Unless you are fairly wealthy, you can still find random places to split up your stack and store them in your house/bank/ect. However, when you start thinking about moving your stack it makes you ponder the viability of silver.

Example 1: What if I were to take a long term international job assignment? How do I even get a large quantity of silver through the clutches of the TSA?

Example 2: SHTF situation; you need to get out of dodge quickly and not come back; Are you really going to be able to cart 100, 200, 500 pounds worth of silver with you?

Discuss!
:popcorn:

I hope to have the 200-500lb problem some day! At the point silver becomes too overwhelming, trade some for platinum or gold!

While not discussing weight or quantity, I was transporting my stack recently in a boat, and we hit rough water in a sudden squall which sunk the boat in very, very deep water. The stack was lost forever to Davey Jones's Locker, but we managed to escape with our lives because we were all wearing U.S. Coast Guard approved life vests.

I hope to have the 200-500lb problem some day! At the point silver becomes too overwhelming, trade some for platinum or gold!

Consider the average retirement advice tells you to save up $500,000 or more. Now consider 500 pounds of silver at current prices is ~$192,000. You really do have to start switching over to platinum or gold at a certain point.

With crazy things happening the U.S. such as:
http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f9/you-have-kidding-me-1187/

I am seriously considering international work next year. Hopefully the conversion rates are not bad, because I would most likely convert my silver prior to moving.

Last edited:
While not discussing weight or quantity, I was transporting my stack recently in a boat, and we hit rough water in a sudden squall which sunk the boat in very, very deep water. The stack was lost forever to Davey Jones's Locker, but we managed to escape with our lives because we were all wearing U.S. Coast Guard approved life vests.

I don't know if I have a worse one or not. My kid likes to play with the few ASE's I have (had) and took them outside the other day. Threw them into a pond that is down the street. I couldn't believe it. It is really not safe to go in and get - not sure I would ever be able to find it anyways. Oh well, mark it up to experience.

Consider the average retirement advice tells you to save up $500,000 or more. Now consider 500 pounds of silver at current prices is ~$192,000. You really do have to start switching over to platinum or gold at a certain point.
Agreed.

What? You were wearing U.S. Coast Guard approved life vests? You did not protect your stack with U.S. Coast Guard approved life vests?

I knew I should have posted a footnote about assuming no watercraft accidents!

Back on topic; How would you move a hypothetical stack quickly an/or long distance?

Keep your precious metals in ammo cans. That's the easiest and most convenient method I have found to safely transport heavy, bulky items. Guess that's why Uncle Sam packs bullets in them.

Melt the silver down, make them into 20" rims - Bling bling! 22" and 24" are the "in" thing now, so they won't get stolen. You will just blend into the crowd then.

Keep your precious metals in ammo cans. That's the easiest and most convenient method I have found to safely transport heavy, bulky items. Guess that's why Uncle Sam packs bullets in them.

Ammo cans are for ammo ONLY. Sooooo, make silver bullets and ammo cans will work just fine.:rotflmbo::rotflmbo:

...all the riot aside, there is no real physical alternative for moving that size of stacks, other than water transport ;)....

Practically - why do you think gold historically was for big boys/welth preservation - the correct way of looking at this, is; gold's scarcity, making it so much more valuable, was making it much more convenient/practical, to preserve LARGE sums/significant wealth.

Silver, while I believe in certain scenarios may represent much higher INVESTMENT return in the years to come, in practical terms, is not that great for wealth preservation - exactly for the size/price factors. Certainly, not when mobility is cosidered as an important factor.

Speaking of extreme measures, like melting it - if you are to melt several hundred pounds of it, why not melt it into the boat's ballast? Practically, undetectable. And you could also clad it with lead. Just imagine - fake lead, with silver core :rotflmbo:

Last edited:
... Speaking of extreme measures, like melting it - if you are to melt several hundred pounds of it, why not melt it into the boat's ballast? ...

Be super careful who you pick for your boating crew.

200px-Bob_Denver_as_Gilligan.jpg

hmmm

i begin to see the advantages of digits
collect enough hard drives to make ballast then if / when you need geld, go mining for bitcoin (-:

hmmm

i begin to see the advantages of digits
collect enough hard drives to make ballast then if / when you need geld, go mining for bitcoin (-:
...you need fast & multiple cores for that, not the disk space ;)

I don't know how anyone plans to transport their stack...
But Please,don't sew a monster box into your clothes,especially if going boating.
This was a public service announcement.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

I rather like the idea of something made of gold or silver, then painted up to look like something utilitarian. What about a solid gold knee brace that has been chrome plated to look like a standard brace? No one would ever question it. How about solid silver crutches, or a silver wheelchair?

I keep enough silver to get me through most SHTF scenarios (to be used for spending). I now have enough silver for that. I would not even consider carrying my silver anywhere unless I were to MOVE there.

I very much agree with some of the sentiment above to use gold or platinum (but especially gold) as your wealth protection through time. Platinum might bhe a better speculation (I have some), but "Gold Standard" speaks for itself. Its value is timeless, as it is not used (much anyway) in industry. Platinum IS used in industry, which has its pluses and minuses.

Does anyone have experience trying to take PM with them on an international flight? There has been an increasing chance of me landing an international job next year and I am concerned about trying to move PMs.

Ideas? (serious ones :pffftt:)

Does anyone have experience trying to take PM with them on an international flight? There has been an increasing chance of me landing an international job next year and I am concerned about trying to move PMs.

Ideas? (serious ones :pffftt:)

We have a thread about having to declare bullion as a monetary instrument when traveling, somewhere on here. I was thinking, though it may be expensive, what if you shipped it to yourself using FedEx or UPS. Just send it to your new address, by the time you get settled in you would get a knock on your door (Just make sure you are there for the delivery, as you dont want that sitting on your front step all day).

I figured out a way to trim the cost, trade the silver in for gold before you go and then ship it.

I actually got to play with a full ASE monster box this weekend. Wow, those things are heavier than you expect! This really reinforced my idea that silver isn't the best for concentration of wealth. It would be much easier to move 8 ounces of gold or 9 ounces of platinum.
:cheers:

Melt the silver down, make them into 20" rims - Bling bling! 22" and 24" are the "in" thing now, so they won't get stolen. You will just blend into the crowd then.
I think that's how Goldfinger smuggled his gold from country to country - made Rolls Royce body parts out of 10K or 18K gold.

While it is much easier to carry your wealth in gold bars if you keep your stack in silver i feel that you will have a better return on your investment.

I knew I should have posted a footnote about assuming no watercraft accidents!

Back on topic; How would you move a hypothetical stack quickly an/or long distance?

hide it in a bale of marijuana....

Back
Top Bottom