1 MILLION pounds of Food on 3 acres

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wow, I am so glad you posted this. I saw this very concept at work in documentary that I watched 20 years ago. I was obsessed with it then, and I am obsessed (deep inside) with it even now.

Centralization and collectivizing of everything, including agriculture and other food supplies, has made population control as much an inevitability as the collapse of the centralized, artificially collectivized currency.

No more family farms - agriculture, and indeed our ability to feed ourselves, is absolutely dependent on energy and a stable currency - both of which are ticking time bombs, either of which could cause the other to melt down.

I absolutely loathe the collectivist "centralizers" of the world, regardless of where they place themselves on the ideological spectrum.

In the long run, Aquaponics and like methodologies are better than gold and silver.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!

There are still a few family farms where I live, but they wouldn't feed the state, much less the country...we're fairly well taken care of, though. What's happening to these is when the patriarch dies, they get divvied up and sold in little plots at auction by the greedy kids who moved to the city, to retirees who want the nice country life, so that's diminishing some.

There are still a few family farms where I live, but they wouldn't feed the state, much less the country...we're fairly well taken care of, though. What's happening to these is when the patriarch dies, they get divvied up and sold in little plots at auction by the greedy kids who moved to the city, to retirees who want the nice country life, so that's diminishing some.

Which reminds me of "The Good Earth, by Pearl S. Buck" - one of the greatest novels I have ever read.

My thought isn't necessarily how to get everyone seeing the need for these NOW - any more than you can convince most people that fiat money=debt only, let alone seeing precious metals as anything more than "an investment" - like any other.

Nobody "cares" about such things, to the point where you actually have their attention, usually until it's too late, and they're scrambling for a piece of door for the love interest to float on as the hero gets pushed down, quite romantically, into the dark icy depths.

My thought is more on how to formulate and engineer this at the seed level, as a matter of emergency planning that is thought out well in advance.

Think of it like the movie Apollo 13. No rescue is possible - their survival depends exclusively on limited materials which are already available to them in orbit. Thus, the question, as a thought experiment well in advance, is how ordinary resources can be quickly and efficiently converted into something that will multiply and feed people in the shortest time possible. This MUST be thought out well in advance, because real hunger and no hope for getting food is a ticking bomb that clouds judgment and reasoning. A model must not only be in place, but also channels of logistics planning that allow other models to be rapidly constructed, which is seeded from the original - and then multiplied from there.

Anyway, something I like to think about. Place yourself in the catastrophe, not as the patriarch that died - because what your idiot kids do after the fact is beyond your control - but as the living patriarch who is right there with a working model, even as all hell breaks loose.

One nice thing is that for as fast as crashes happen, and for as much as chaos can hit - there is still a gap of time; not to think through and plan, but to ACT. There will be runs on everything for survival, but if you can offer a way out of hell, you can channel the runs on things that are most important for long term sustainability.

Last edited:
I like your analogy Steven. We are lucky enough to be aware of whats happening and at least have the means to use the resources we have available to us now to prepare for whatever happens.

Learning how to garden organically with only locally available inputs and no oil, fertiliser, pesticides etc. is the best possible solution for any impending food crisis. If you can start now and get organised you will be in a very good position to feed yourself and others by supplying them with food aswell as the knowledge and assistance to do it for themselves.

I'm lucky to live in a very rural part of Europe where I'm surrounded by farm land, farmers and like minded organic gardeners. We already exchange seeds and plants and help each other out, so at a push could hopefully survive on our own resources if it came down to it.

That of course is not factoring in roaming bands of hungry '2 legged predators' who might have a different agenda..

Having travelled extensively in Europe, I saw that nearly everyone had at the very least, a kitchen garden. It is dismaying that Americans do not have the same mindset, especially given that out cities have a three day supply of foodstuffs [at the outside] and any disruption to the transportation system means that people begin to starve in just a couple of weeks.

This is an excellent thread by the way.

I totally agree Ancona. Pretty much all of the farmers around here have a small vegetable garden, or grow a couple of rows of potatoes and some cabbages. I think its a long ingrained mindset and being able to feed yourself on even a small scale is just one of those life skills that everyone should practice, regardless of an economic armageddon happening or not.

Also really enjoying this thread and site. Really glad I stumbled upon it :)

Actually, the reason most folks gave when I asked was that they taste better htan the expensive, factory farmed foods in the stores, and they could'nt be sure what chemicals had been used for pesticides during the growing of the commersial veggies. A lot of folks simply like the convenience and price savings. The last tiem I was in Europe was two years ago. I went to Holland and Belgium with the family on holiday. The prices I witnessed in stores for staple foods and staple vegetables was shocking. Here in Florida, I have a 6k s.f. garden on the property occupied by my firm, and it sup[plies everything we need. We have 9 chickens [used to be ten, but a red tail got one] wjho will be laying eggs for us in a couple of months.

Welcome to the board, suibhne.

I don't think Americans have had the attitude to produce our own food since the victory gardens of WWII. In my case, that was 2 generations ago. Pretty sad really.

FYI - I added this to my Christmas wish list (and I'll post a review after I've read it should I be fortunate enough to be on Santa's nice list):

Last edited:
This post may contain affiliate links for which PM Bug gold and silver discussion forum may be compensated.
I just finished reading Aquaponic Gardening this weekend. Lots of good info in the book. I want to play around with a small scale system now.

Can you describe your prototype, or even ultimate, set up PMB ?

size of tank
no and type of fish
fish food /quantity/ source
anything to keep the fish happy
size of grow beds and make up of growing medium
pumps/ power source(s)
indoors / outdoors / management of environment

so i can get started (-;

Not yet. I have a bit more work to do figuring that all out.

Back
Top Bottom