Cellphone tracking....

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

That's only a tip of the iceberg. The Feds are violating at least the spirit of many laws by buying data from things like banks and credit agencies that they are not allowed to collect without a warrant, normally. But pay a credit agency and buy the stuff? Legal.
Sort of. But very much done.

I ditched my cel a long time back. Too many interruptions for my wa.

You can always remove the battery from your cell phone when you aren't using it to prevent it from being tracked.

You can always remove the battery from your cell phone when you aren't using it to prevent it from being tracked.

What about some of the newer phones that you can not take out the battery; ah la Iphones? :shrug:

You can buy a thin jacket for the phone that does not allow a signal to pass through. I think they are just a bit of copper screen sewn in to a piece of fabric. Sort of like a mini Faraday Cage.

That sounds like a better solution.

Shielding your phone so it loses tower contact will cause it a long re-connect delay, prevent incoming calls (yay?) and cause the battery to run down very quickly as it increases it's transmit power to the max trying to get hooked up with a tower.

All it does is raise flags and still report where you were when you put the shield on, or took it off...

^ That's assuming you leave the phone turned on.

Yes. Shortly after 9-11 I got a small consulting job to make a cel phone detector for use by first responders. Even if you're dead and buried in rubble, the phone trying to stay in contact with the tower makes it transmit max power, and a small directional antenna helps them locate it - and your remains.

Of course, if you're going to keep your phone off - why not toss it and get rid of the bill as well? Turning it on and off just gives them a nice easy to handle trigger event that you're doing something interesting, or just did. So unless almost everyone does it, all that does is make you stand out - as someone with something to hide.

Maybe I just like preserving battery power and only use my phone for outbound calls.

The point is to not get their attention. Give me 6 lines written by the purest man alive and I'll find a way to hang him. Which they will do even if they find out you weren't the droid they were looking for, just to CYA. Been there. Only some very cool stuff in my FBI dossier saved me, once I got them to go read it.

I guess I've never related the story of my little visit from the DEA here, based on profiling. No drugs found. But they took all my guns out, stacked them on the bed, and got some bags of white powder out of their truck, piled those on, and took pictures, just in case they needed them for something.

It's quite a story, and I ought to write it up for here so people will know what to expect if a bunch of guys dressed in black show up with guns - and where they *didn't* look...as well as where they did. They broke every law in the books, BTW.
Refused to ID themselves. Didn't have a warrant until 45 min *after* the no-knock breakin. Stole things. I beat the snot out of them in court later (they did find some contraband, and charged me for it, but it wound up null-prossed - it never happened).

been on the edge of my seat ever since you first referenced this unwelcome visit DCF ........

as you often say, the best strategy is to be lost in the fog of everyone elses behaviour patterns, rather than taking steps to hide as that only serve to highlight a possible reason to hide.

Think its fairly to be a sheep when you know you are being watched but not so sure how to smokescreen all that profiling they can do, using your e trail.

Im actually working on having a public front that says 'wierdo' with nothing worth taking

turns out to be quite easy (-:

We kind of do the same thing Rblong. I have let the yard go to hell and no longer give a damn about "curb appeal". While I have been checked out by every single government agency out there, and hold multiple levels of clearance, I still believe that I am on a "list" somewhere. I have worked on active space shuttle launch pads, around vehicles in the VAB and OPF, around Atlas, Titan and now the Falcon space vehicles, yet I still have to take my fucking shoes off at the goddamn airport. WTF?? You trust me around a twelve billion dollar spacecraft, but you don't trust me not to bring an H-bomb on a fucking airplane? Give me a small fucking break please.

Last edited:
The point is to not get their attention. Give me 6 lines written by the purest man alive and I'll find a way to hang him. Which they will do even if they find out you weren't the droid they were looking for, just to CYA. Been there. Only some very cool stuff in my FBI dossier saved me, once I got them to go read it.

I guess I've never related the story of my little visit from the DEA here, based on profiling. No drugs found. But they took all my guns out, stacked them on the bed, and got some bags of white powder out of their truck, piled those on, and took pictures, just in case they needed them for something.

It's quite a story, and I ought to write it up for here so people will know what to expect if a bunch of guys dressed in black show up with guns - and where they *didn't* look...as well as where they did. They broke every law in the books, BTW.
Refused to ID themselves. Didn't have a warrant until 45 min *after* the no-knock breakin. Stole things. I beat the snot out of them in court later (they did find some contraband, and charged me for it, but it wound up null-prossed - it never happened).

DC - let's hear this story.

More importantly, best practices for dealing with this kind of thing when you're the subject of the warrant...

but you don't trust me not to bring an H-bomb on a fucking airplane?

excuse me sir, is that an H-bomb you are carrying ?
its not that we dont trust you .....
just some of the other passengers are getting a bit anxious ....

Hey its only a little one, bout 10% of that old Hiroshima little boy jobbie
im taking it to a bloke in Damascus to get it defused ..........

oh, ok hope it all works out
sorry to have troubled you

:rotflmbo:

http://phys.org/news/2012-02-cell-hackers-track-knowledge.html

"Using an inexpensive phone and open source software, the researchers were able to track the location of cell phone users without their knowledge on the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) network, the predominant worldwide network."

"n a field test, the research group was able to track the location of a test subject within a 10-block area..."

:paperbag:

Back
Top Bottom