So much prepping, so little opsec

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
It's better to be safe than sorry, which is why FEMA guidelines recommend stockpiling your pantry with three days worth of food in case of a natural disaster. Meanwhile, Paul Range and Gloria Haswell have enough in store to feed 22 people for 15 years — as well as enough guns, bullets and bug-out vehicles to wage a small war. The couple occupies nine steel shipping containers arranged in a castle formation outside Floresville, Texas. A system of windmills and solar panels powers the compound, and human body waste is used to generate methane, which serves as their cooking fuel.

It's all because they are worried Earth's magnetic poles might switch.

Range and Haswell are among those profiled in "Doomsday Preppers," a weekly TV documentary premiering on the National Geographic Channel tomorrow (Feb. 7) at 9 p.m., with a bonus episode at 10 p.m. following the premiere. The show takes viewers on a shocking tour of modern-day apocalypse paranoia, from Range, Haswell and their steel fortress to a Californian who has trained himself to survive off garden weeds in preparation for a major earthquake.

While the show may highlight a few of America's most extreme cases, apocalypticism — fear of the end of the world as we know it — is at a historic high point, according to Lorenzo DiTommasso, chairman and associate professor of religion at Concordia University in Montreal. The phenomenon has experienced peaks and valleys throughout history. Right now, "we're in a peak, and have been for the last 40 years," DiTommasso said.

Fear of nuclear obliteration started the rise in apocalypticism, but today, the main factor driving its continuing spread is the rapid exchange of ideas — especially scary ideas — on the Web.

More: http://news.yahoo.com/doomsday-preppers-show-highlights-extreme-survivalists-214404285.html

Map of Texas; check.
Marker; check.
Mark Floresville, Texas on map; check.
:paperbag:

I saw that as well. What are these people thinking? You may as well paint a bullseye on your back.

Dumbasses. What some people risk for a little bit of attention.

Nice find PMBug; it never fails to baffle me when I see people advertise their preps like this.

Fear of nuclear obliteration started the rise in apocalypticism, but today, the main factor driving its continuing spread is the rapid exchange of ideas — especially scary ideas — on the Web.

That's funny, I thought the Boy Scout motto was "Be Prepared", not "Be
Fearful". This is another example of subtle media manipulation tactics.

I think all of us at the PMBug prep more out of logical reasoning rather than fear.

Just one question. Who has an interest in making sure the bulk of the population thinks preppers are all paranoid crazies?

Just one question. Who has an interest in making sure the bulk of the population thinks preppers are all paranoid crazies?

Ahh Fusemeister:wave:, you must know the answer to this riddle already. A rhetorical question?

Last edited:
Of course. Could backfire on them - people might become afraid to beg and steal from us...Funny thing about the politics of fear - takes on a life of its own.

The PTB do not want a prepared nation, it isn't in their best interests to have millions and millions of people who do not need them. They want millions and millions of compliant little sheep, all of them unarmed and hungry.

The PTB do not want a prepared nation, it isn't in their best interests to have millions and millions of people who do not need them. They want millions and millions of compliant little sheep, all of them unarmed and hungry.

Mostly, they just don't want to maintain control. Anything beyond that is secondary.

maybe im over-reaching here...But, During that episode, they often referred to their setup as their "compound". Its their "compound" in Texas. They have alot of weapons, and perform weapons training for their survival. When i think of Texas, Compound, and Weapons, I think of the atrocities committed by some of the agencies.....i.e. Waco. Just thought it was a bad idea to broadcast to everyone that you have a compound that has alot of weapons.

So far - and I must stress that qualification, it's not just the "compound" and "the guns" that draw the ire of the agencies. It's the "we're withdrawing from your corrupt system" or "we are independent of your stupid system and practice our weird religion" that seems to be the trigger, just looking at Waco and Ruby Ridge for examples.

I'd heard there was an outfit somewhere in the west that even had a working tank, and made no secret of it - but they didn't preach the "wrong stuff" so they get left alone, but my memory may be of one of those unsubstantiated stories that float around.

They do tend to use weapons law violations as a trigger to repression, though - real ones in the case of Waco, imaginary ones (but a lot of stupid tough talk) in the case of Ruby Ridge.

I wouldn't advertise for completely other reasons - you just don't want to make yourself a target for looting and so on. And by golly, don't advertise tax avoidance, your hatred of the existing government and so on - and don't make enemies in your own neighborhood. For every Waco, there's several little groups that just fail due to scaring or angering the locals - we've had a couple of those here in Floyd I've watched in the last couple decades.

You really need community to pull that kind of thing off. If you make them all suspicious or frightened that's what brings failure (refusal to do business with you on good terms) or the cops (don't anger the other voters!).

I've found a big smile and a sunny disposition go a heck of a long way in that kind of situation, or just when I carry a gun openly. The smile just disarms everyone - pun intended.

Here I am in almost the same situation, but with no trash-talk of the kinds you hear about in the news - and the authorities appear to be as friendly as can be to what I'm all about. I'm just a homesteader trying to make it in a little bit different way than the rest, and succeeding, and they seem to think that's pretty cool. Just pay those taxes on time and don't anger the other voters seems to be the key.

Trash talking and drawing public attention to the fact you think that those in power are utter failures is never smart. Some might even call it insane.

Back
Top Bottom