The History of Gold as Money

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

More fun history:
... did you know North Carolina has a strong history of gold and sound money?

Here are three fun facts about North Carolina and our history of gold and sound money so you can know a bit more on the subject.

First gold rush in North America

North Carolina is home to the first gold rush in North America, which was kicked off with the initial discovery of a 17-pound gold nugget in Cabarrus County in 1799. This treasure of a find was discovered by 12-year-old Conrad Reed while he was fishing in his family’s creek.
Bechtler gold dollar

North Carolina is where the United States had the country’s first gold dollar coin created, accomplished by a private mint known as the Bechtler Mint in Rutherfordton.
Charlotte Mint

The early success of the NC Gold Rush and the Bechtler Mint inspired the US Mint to open a mint in Charlotte in 1835. This mint location was one of three opened that year: The New Orleans Mint, the Dahlonega Mint in Georgia, and the Charlotte Mint.

The only coins produced at the Charlotte Mint were gold coins, until 1861 when the mint was closed for Civil War efforts.

More:

I have been buying pre-1933 on sale to put together a type set because I wanted one. There is a reason the indians and St. Gaudens are so popular. Hold a circulated one in your hand and think about black & white movies.

I did not buy any dollar gold coins because the premiums were 40%+ even when gold was sub-$2000 and they are so small like 1/25th phils.20240419_191019.jpg

Back
Top Bottom