What’s Cracking In The Garden

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

My earlier post (number 158) could have been rerun here a few weeks ago. Got the garden in this weekend, for the most part. Another 50 berry bushes (25 each chokecherry and american plum). Got the last of it in around mid day today just in time for a bit of rain this afternoon/evening. We have a quarter inch of rain so far, with more in the forecast. Off to a decent start...

Here I am starting from scratch after moving last fall.

There were several overgrown gardens and none of them seemed like a good home for growing food. One of those gardens was a large wooden raised bed that was falling apart but it seemed like a good location. So I dismantled the wooden structure and dug out the soil and used that to fill various pits around the yard.

That left a nice clearing where I installed 2 32" tall 6'x2' raised beds and spread a thick layer of woodchips covering the ground of the old base.

Got those beds filled and planted onions and potatoes in one. I plan to plant peppers and herbs in the other. The onions are looking really happy and all the potatoes have sprouted and are growing very quickly.

So far so good. 2 more smaller container beds to place after I prepare a space for them.

Greens - Collard, Mustard and Chard have been doing well for me lately. I've already harvested a bunch from my tiny garden.

Cucumbers produced a bit then the vines yellowed and I had to yank them.

Okra is growing and starting to produce.

Green bell pepper has produced a few nice peppers for me.

One single habanero plant has been producing like a champion. I'm freezing more habaneros than I will be able to eat for a good long time.

Eggplants are starting to produce.

Tomatos are growing but have not produced anything yet.

I have basil growing in the ground like weeds - in the cracks in the walkways, between stepping stones in the gardens, etc. It's everywhere and I'm OK with it. I like basil.

We planted a squash vine that I don't know (or remember) exactly what it is. It grew faster than the cucumber vines and produced a lot of baby football sized (think spaghetti squash sized) melons that had a hard skin and the interior flesh was totally devoid of any flavor whatsoever. I yanked the vines and won't be planting them again. While they grew and produced, they took up massive space and the edible was not enjoyable.

I just hope that we don't have any more drought this coming summer like we did last year.

Always fun discovering what grows at a new property. I just found a pretty decent sized patch of asparagus in one of my overgrown gardens. Score! I wish I knew it was there when it was harvest time. I look forward to next spring.

Back
Top Bottom