Burglars Steal Large Silver and Gold Stash

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

white&yellow999

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
A good friend just showed me this article he saw today. Thought it would be good to share. Just from what was listed in the article, at todays prices, is valued right around 600k from my calculations (including the cash).

http://www.kvoa.com/news/burglars-take-silver-gold-coins-from-sedona-home/

Burglars take silver, gold coins from Sedona home

SEDONA, Ariz. (AP) - Deputies in Yavapai County says someone broke into a Sedona home and stole thousands of silver coins, bars of silver, gold coins and $80,000 in cash.

A sheriff's statement says the break-in was discovered on Dec. 9 when a woman arrived home and found glass in her back door broken out.

Among the items stolen were 7,000 one-ounce 2011 American Silver Eagles Coins, 15 South African Krugerands, 20 ten-pound bars of silver, 20 five-pound bars of silver, 30 American Gold Eagles with Canadian Maple Leaves and $80,000 cash. The exact value hasn't been determined.

A sheriff's statement says the break-in was not initially made public because detectives were pursuing leads.

Anyone with information is asked to call the sheriff's office.

I feel terrible for this person and I really hope that the perp is caught. But IMO it's going to hard to trace the bars unless the owner still has the serial numbers and nearly impossible to trace the coins.

mmerlinn - agreed, and neither should it all be in one place, unless you are available and prepared to defend it 24hrs. The average person (sans bunker, perimeter, arms) may need to rely on less direct forms of protection. Math, obfuscation and statistics make good friends here.

At least they had some silver. Mine was lost in a tragic boating accident. Now all I have is a couple of coffee cans full of pennies and an old transistor radio.

This just happened to someone I know on the internet:

A couple of teenagers broke into a residence and stole some guns. Then they recruited some of their friends to pose for a pic with the stolen guns and posted it on Facebook. Then one of the thieves tried to sell one of the guns to an undercover police officer after the crime had been reported.

He wasn't successful.

He told the officer about the pic- which was on his phone- and all four were arrested.

The guns were recovered and returned to their owner.

16325946_BG1.jpg

Judging from the lack of trigger discipline in the photo, those kids are lucky they didn't shoot themselves/each other.

The OP brings up an important issue regarding home security. Security film on your windows/doors, storm doors with safety glass and door sentinels go a long way to upgrading the security of a home and deter thieves.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/152495939[/ame]

www.patriotcrimedefense.com

http://www.shattergard.com/

They didn't say what weight the golden eagle coins were or whether the maples were gold or silver and what weight. Tough to guess the exact value without knowing all that. I also wonder if they might be adding in a bit in hopes of getting more from insurance, not that it will necessarily work.

11C1P, it looks like around a half a million dollars worth of PM's and cash. These fuckers, if they are ever caught, should be skewered and roasted alive over a low fire in the town square.

That would be a solid and object lesson for other idiots who would decide to do the same thing. Then, after the pile of ash and bones cools, erect a small fence around it and install a small plaque describing what happened there.

While I am all for the death penalty, I don't think theft is an executable offense. Since our prisons are so overcrowded and cost so much, I would like to see them be able to sentence these $#!t bags to a certain amount of indentured servitude to their victims. They would pay back in labor to the victim an amount plus an extra punitive amount to the total value of property and any time lost to the criminals activities. Now if the homeowner had been home when the thief broke in, all bets are off, as you never know what they might do or try to do if someone is home, and it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

OK then, so we don't kill them. Instead, we do the ball and chain thing. Take a thirty foor bit of hardened steel chain, hook it to a 100 pound ball of iron then make them do all the shit work. I would love to see these dirt-bags walking the side of the highway, picking up all the nastiness thrown out of car windows by idiot travelers. I've heard stories about shitty diapers, depends adult incontinence pants, hypodermic needles and worse. In addition, how about sweeping crap out of the gutter along roads. Also, they can hand dig a bunch of fields and work a garden totally by hand, producing vegetables and such for local jails and prisons, thereby reducing what we have to subsidize as taxpayers.

I would really be interested in finding out more about this, cause this wasn't just some neighborhood prowler. Lets look at the weights given, we'll assume the gold eagles and the maples are all 1oz.

20 10lb bars of silver = 200 pounds
20 5lb bars of silver = 100 pounds
7000 1oz ASE's = 480 pounds
15 1oz Krug's = 1.03 pounds
30 AGE's & Maples = 2.06 pounds

That equals 783.09 pounds!

Then there is $80,000 in cash. Even assuming it's all $100 bills. That is a BIG wad of money, roughly only another 2 pounds which isn't a lot on top of a stack nearly 800 pounds, but it's size is still going to be quite large. Clearly this was someone who either had a good idea of what they needed to bring and how much time they would need to haul it all away, or it was some thief or thieves who got very lucky by stumbling across it while they had a vehicle close by to haul it AND time enough to find it and haul it away. Or maybe it's an insurance scam. Maybe it's cause I used to be in the infantry, but I think about how much stuff weighs and how hard it is lugging it around a lot.

Last edited:
OK then, so we don't kill them. Instead, we do the ball and chain thing. Take a thirty foor bit of hardened steel chain, hook it to a 100 pound ball of iron then make them do all the shit work. I would love to see these dirt-bags walking the side of the highway, picking up all the nastiness thrown out of car windows by idiot travelers FILTHY PIGS. I've heard stories about shitty diapers, depends adult incontinence pants, hypodermic needles and worse. In addition, how about sweeping crap out of the gutter along roads. Also, they can hand dig a bunch of fields and work a garden totally by hand, producing vegetables and such for local jails and prisons, thereby reducing what we have to subsidize as taxpayers.

Note the minor correction Ancona. Idiot travelers are not always pigs - they are just traveling idiots. I know because I am a traveling idiot, but I don't dump trash on the roads unless my motor/transmission/vehicle flies apart.

Merlin,
I am also a frequent traveler, often putting in 8 hours of "windshield time" in a single day, an I toss my detritus in the passenger floorboard instead of tossing it callously to the road side. My wife will bitch about it if I forget to clean it out and we have to go somewhere, but I remind her that I'm simply being a good steward and she will calm down. In Florida, it is a massive fine to get caught throwing a cigarette out a vehicle window, but only $75 for tossing a dirty diaper out. If the fine for littering was 500 dollars, and was strictly enforced, we would likely see far less shit along the roads.

One time many years ago my late uncle and I were going fishing, and when we stopped to gas up and get ice, etc. we grabbed some lunch to go and when I was done eating, asked if he had a bag to put the garbage in. He said just toss it out the window. I told him no, and we started arguing, and I said I'll just stick it in my pocket so it's not in your truck. Finally he said. "you threw that out the window I would have smacked you back all the way till you picked it up." This was shortly after I got out of the army and he was testing me to see if the army had ruined me.

Just did a quick search:
Yavapai Sheriff's detectives served a search warrant Tuesday in the 5100 block of South Mill Avenue, looking for a pile of stolen gold and silver. The loot was taken Dec. 9 from a rural home in the 11500 block of Boynton Pass Road, northwest of Sedona.

A suspect, identified as 33-year-old Oshin Thomas, was arrested in an apartment on Mill Avenue for the Sedona burglary.

In recent days, detectives had developed information linking Thomas to the theft, based on a prior business relationship with the victim and evidence gathered from the heist.

While in Tempe, detectives learned Thomas had buried some of the stolen property in a remote desert area. They eventually located the hole and recovered four boxes containing some of the stolen silver.

Wednesday, detectives continued their work to find remaining stolen silver and gold hidden in Arizona and California locations. Detectives expect to recover a majority of the stolen property, which has a total estimated value exceeding $600,000.

The stolen property includes 7,000 one-ounce 2011 American Silver Eagle coins in plastic sleeves, 12 bags of 1920-1963 silver coins at 5, 10, and 25 cents, 15 South African Krugerands, 20 10-pound bars of silver, 20 five-pound bars of silver, 30 American Gold Eagles and gold Canadian Maple Leaves, 10 ounce and 6 ounce bars of silver with Johnson Matthey and Engelhard stamps and $80,000 cash in bank envelopes.

The suspect was booked in Maricopa County on various theft charges.

http://verdenews.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&ArticleID=45376

If you have that kind of loot at your house, why in the hell do you allow anyone to know about it? And then, why was it not better secured?

If you have that kind of loot at your house, why in the hell do you allow anyone to know about it? And then, why was it not better secured?

Precisely. One of the reasons I was curious about the update on this story as that there were recently 2 big coin/pm thefts in our area. A few months ago one guy had an ammo can full of the stuff stolen out of his SUV. Then the other day they said a house was broken into and $40 some grand worth was stolen. I don't know if these are guys are pulling an insurance scam, people who can't keep their mouths shut about what they have and possibly where, or just simply VERY unlucky.

Back
Top Bottom