Cheapest place to buy silver coins?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

escobar

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
I am planning to buy some silver coins for presents and just to hold when I get blue, jaja.

Any suggestions on places online w the lowest premiums. I dont plan to buy many so Tulving is out.

Thanks

It really depends upon what coin you are wanting to buy. Premiums and S&H can vary a lot and given the low cost of a coin (compared to 1 or 10 ozt gold bars anyway) it can make a big difference.

I'd suggest comparing the costs (including credit card fees if applicable and S&H) from provident metals, goldmart, etc. You might also check the silver price comparison tool for other suggestions.

If you aren't looking for Maples or Eagles, you might also check Scottsdale Silver. Their Omnia rounds are nice.

ok thank you. have you used Gainsville? They have some Buffalo Head rounds that look nice, appear to be the cheapest on there. premium seems to very but last i checked was around$1.85 or $2 per coin.

Some LCS will sell "Junk" for a serious discount. It depends on the budget. Also, I have had pretty good luck walking in to pawn shops and starting a conversation. Many of these guys have been sitting on piles of junk since thge early nineties, and can be talked in to selling at or below spot.

It's worth a try.

No, I have not personally used Gainesville yet. I have read some negative things in other forums, mostly with regards to customer service when packages arrived damaged. YMMV.

I was real surprised that at the last gun show I went to, one of the coin dealers (most of whom are mostly very rip-offy priced) was selling bags of junk silver about 5% over spot - though they may have been playing the troy vs normal ounces game on top. I almost went for it, but didn't. For funnies, they were also selling "certified" copper ingots as a PM - they were pretty to be sure. But I already have perhaps a couple tons of copper in already-useful forms...(flashing, pipes, wire).

Back
Top Bottom