IRS targeting physical gold and silver investors?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Hi Jim,

Three days ago something very bad happened to me. The manager from my US Bank branch left me a voice message telling me that my accounts were frozen until I called her and answered some questions. I called back and was told that I had a number of suspicious transactions and because this was a brand new account she was compelled to investigate. Specifically she informed me that I had two large wire transfers from Peru and two payments to American Precious Metals Exchange. She asked me to explain the nature of these transactions. I asked her if this was part of Patriot Act Compliance and she said that it was. She acted surprised that I even was aware of this process. I told her that I thought this was outrageous and that I would not give her this information. She told me that if I didn’t, that they would likely close my accounts. Having worked on Patriot Act Compliance in the past myself, I also understood that reporting would be sent to the IRS regarding “suspicious” activity regardless of whether I responded to her questions or not. I decided to cooperate and told her that the incoming wires were payment from my employer – a major mining company that is in feasibility stage for a large copper project in Peru. Then she asked me what I purchased from APMEX. I said that she could probably figure that out based on the company name. She said that wasn’t good enough and insisted that I needed to tell her what I had purchased. I said coins and that satisfied her.

Obviously, this left me in shock, but it gets worse. One day later my wife gets a notice delivered by UPS from US Bank. She has a different last name and the bank is a different branch. She has had the account open for almost 20 years. The notice said that they must speak to her immediately. She called them today and found out that her account had already been frozen and that they need to know why she had received a check from me for $6,000 and why she had written a check to APMEX. Just like me she was asked to tell them what she had purchased from APMEX and she told him. She was also asked why I had written her a check for $6,000 and she told them it was to pay bills. For the record, my wife voted for Obama twice and she is a hardcore Liberal. She is also public school teacher. She was almost crying as she related what had happened to her.

It is worth mentioning that this all occurred within weeks of me joining the NRA, National Association for Gun Rights (NAGR), Rocky Mountain Gun Owners (RMGO) and signing a number of petitions and contacting a large number of Senators and Representatives to encourage them to vote against gun control. In addition I have been selling off my gun collection and ammo on the ARMSLIST website here in Colorado. Clearly in my mind I have been targeted do to some combination of this activity.

I am now living in absolute fear that I’ve been targeted by the IRS and other government agencies as some sort of Right Wing extremist. I’m expecting my door to be broken down in the middle of the night or perhaps worse. I’m really scared for myself and my family. I am a law-abiding citizen. I pay my taxes and have nothing to hide. I have been subjected to both FBI and CBI background checks on numerous occasions connected with my work and for gun purchases and have never had a problem. What the hell is happening?!!! This is not America!

I honestly don’t know what to do. Should I contact the media? I want to get this out in the open in the hope that this will somehow protect my family. I’m freaking out! It’s like a bad nightmare only it’s real.

http://www.jsmineset.com/2013/05/16/jims-mailbox-1258/

Recent news reports about the IRS targeting conservative groups have indicated that getting lists of donors - identifying their base of support - was one objective. Is this just another prong in the SPLC/DHS attack on good Americans?

This is how it begins. It matters not who is in the presidency any longer. These agencies have grown far too large and unwieldy, and are now operating under their own directives.

It’s very sad how the government can stick their hands on our hard earned money. We are perhaps living in an illusion of a healthy financial system.

Back
Top Bottom