Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Precious Metals and Economic News > PM Bug

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
PM Bug Supporter

Liked: 691 times
Platinum. Palladium. Holy Moly?

Platinum and palladium are the two "other PMs" that (few) people invest in (physical). Their charts are both fairly different. Both are down hard today though.

Platinum prices are back to 2009 levels! That metal, I read somewhere, is for optimists. I would guess that what they mean is that Pt use is correlated to business activity (as a catalyst in cars, trucks and oil refineries). Chart back to 2009 from finviz.com:

http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=PL&p=w1

Palladium has not had as bad a ride as Pt. It has been in a range of $600 - $900 since 2010. Chart:

http://finviz.com/futures_charts.ashx?t=PA&p=w1

Both are used as catalysts. Pt has the advantage that it can be used in diesel engines, last I heard Pd cannot.

Pd has interesting properties re HYDROGEN, (can "store" 900 x its volume of hydrogen, it is permeable to hydrogen but ALL other gases do flow through it).

Metallurgists (etc.) are looking very hard for alternatives to platinum as catalysts. Including use of the "rare earth" metals, but I have not looked at the rare earths for sometime.
DoChenRollingBearing is offline   Reply With Quote