Summer 2012 redux, giant buyer btfd in gold+silver today

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

swissaustrian

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
Rarely ever have I seen such a massive rally from intraday lows as today.

Gold spiked to a low of 1624.9 during London trading and is now 30+ $ (1657) or 2% higher
Silver made a spke low at 29.14 and is now trading one dollar + higher at 30.2 or 3,6% higher.

At the surface, this smells like short squeeze. However, the way the lows were made looks like a giant physical buyer stepped in during London trading. The lows were tested multiple times and somebody just picked everything each time. This is exactly what happened during last summer when gold just couldn't break below 1520 and silver couldn't fall below 26. Numerous market commentators said this was due to Asian central banks buying. The action today is looking very similar. :mrt: If that's true, we have another solid bottom at 29 and 1620. :popcorn:

2eptvh1.gif

5bej4h.gif

Another observation: Silver is about to close green today. Platinum is unch, palladium down 1% and gold down 0.3%. That's a very strong showing by silver :silver: During the last weeks, it looked like it could close below 30 two times. In both cases, somebody just rushed in and ramped it up above 30.

Last edited:
Add to that that the miners had a late hour ramp job which is usually a good omen for the upcoming week:

t

So far.. My mining account is up 5%, down 4.85% and up 4.30% in consecutive days. I need a drink.

It almost looks like there is a big fight going on between the pm bulls and bears.
I'm looking forward to next weeks COT report which will cover this weeks trading activity.
Today's report just covers Dec 24th-31st:

6a0120a6002285970c017d3f7ea537970c-500wi

There's nothing special in it as this was thin holiday trading with closed exchanges on the 25th, 26th, 28th and 29th. It basicly just covers two trading days: the 27th and the 31st of December. Notable however is the fact that the activity in silver points to mild short covering on behalf of the commercials whilest nothing comparable happened in gold.

Last edited:
Silver is outperforming gold today on the downside which is pretty rare. It's holding 30 again so far.

Back
Top Bottom