A word to the wise ...

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mmerlinn

Ground Beetle
Reaction score
... be careful who you talk to about your stashes and what you say about them. You don't want to wind up as these people did:

A Mount Pleasant couple lost at least $80,000 in silver and gold coins in a burglary last week, Cowlitz County sheriff's investigators said Monday.

Last Wednesday night, burglars stole a safe containing thousands of one-ounce U.S. silver eagle coins, Canadian silver wolf coins, one-ounce gold eagle and buffalo coins and a 10-ounce bar of silver, said Chief Criminal Deputy Charlie Rosenzweig. Also stolen were firearms and a four-wheeler.

Rosenzweig said the coins alone are valued at between $80,000 and $90,000 dollars. He said it is unclear why such valuable currency had been kept in the home.

Read more: http://tdn.com/news/local/mount-ple...291-11e1-a2ac-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1rcVclEpp

For me this is hitting pretty close to home, since I was born and raised a few miles from there.

Some folks have antiques around here that are worth that much.

mmerlinn, yes, have to be very careful.

Spread it around, our PMs are in 6 different places. Yes, my wife and kid know where. That's it.

I would add that we are probably past the point of cheerleading prepping to friends or anyone for that matter. When the SHTF, I for one, will no longer have any sense of humor and will have deeply buried any feelings of sympathy that may still exist in my rapidly cooling heart. I have preached self sufficience for a very long time now, and have goine as far as to help a guy build a beautiful 1,000 s.f. garden, which after two seasons, he has given up on and allowed to go fallow because it's "too much work".

My heart has grown colder as well ancona. I'm tired of suggesting people buy gold (etc.).

If things DO get really bad, ALL of us will be busy enough just trying to survive.

True enough DoChen, true enough. Nearly no one I talk to these days recognizes that subsistence living is incredibly hard work. You have to work all day long to produce enough food and clean water to simply survive, never mind make money. My garden is huge compared to 99% of small gardens out there at 6,000 s.f., and it takes every bit of four people to maintain it. Right now, we have a lot of stuff available to us to help make it easier, but without fuel for instance, plowing it up becomes a completely different chore.

Truly, some fuel stash should be part of your prep, and things like tillers and chainsaws be first priority for it, not some gas guzzling car. One of my neighbors keeps ~15 5 gal cans around for things like that - he does a lot of mowing (man's gotta have a hobby, he's a wood worker by trade these days) and other equipment work, so it gets rotated and never goes stale. But if things go bad (and he's aware of the prepping idea) - he's set, and so am I, we kind of coordinate our preps. I've got the food...and we both have no issues at all with water (we have springs we own the watersheds above, so they are clean, clean, clean).

Think how much you'd be glad to have even a 5 gal can of gas for things other than cars if the bad stuff goes down. Almost everyone has a gas can - just buy an extra and rotate through them so they don't get stale. 5 gal will chop one heck of a lot of trees, or till one pretty huge garden - or a lot of both. OR it will fill my nifty little inverter-genset about 5 times - and provide a week or more of true emergency power (you wouldn't run the thing just to run a computer or reading light - I mean in a real emergency).

I have a huge underground propane tank for cooking and electricity, but would also like to convert at least one vehicle to LNG so I can simply store propane in 50 gallon cylinders to use in the vehicle. That way, since propane stores indefinitely, I can store as many tanks as I wish for as long as I wish. I think twenty fifty gallon cylinders would do for a couple of years of uninterrupted vehicle and implement use. Our tiller is towed behind an ATV, which can be converted and the tiller itself is a little air cooled motor which can be converted as well. In any event, propane/LNG is the way to go IMHO.

I love my propane, even though some greenies don't like it much - they just don't realize that they're burning fossil fuels themselves, by proxy.

But that's a lot of converting to do, propane carbs and maybe preheaters. I'd just keep some gas too, as I can't imagine going to propane on the chainsaw (but I do have an electric one I really like).

I agree DC, but I also remember being at NAS Pensacola on a project cleaning up after Ivan when Katrina pounded NO, and there was no fuel to be found for weeks and weeks. We were cut off from a large part of civilization then. I ended up burning five gallon cans of automatic transmission oil in my diesel box trucks just to keep on keeping on. doing that cost a small fortune, and the guy at Trtactor Supply gave me a lot of sideways looks when I came back so often buying 50 gallon lots of ATF, but I never let my little secret get out, and was one of only a few guys in the area with a fully operational fleet. I also remember how much cash I made on the side. ;-)

Right on, bro! I do pretty well here in similar situations, or just the usual fact that all the 'necks around here are always going broke in winter and sell their stuff, then want to buy it back when they work again in spring. It's a good thing most of them can't figure out what my effective interest rate is on that one.

Any tips on keeping petrol 'fresh' ?

and on stopping that wierd algae that sometimes forms in diesel tanks ?

There's some stuff for gasoline called "Stabil" that is supposed to keep it from turning into jello, it works for a year or two. Better to just "rotate your stock". I'm not a diesel guy, so maybe someone else knows that one.

Do you see why I am a proponent of LNG/propane??????????

It keeps FOREVER and can be adapted to use in nearly any vehicle. The US army has vehicles that can be run with nearly ANYTHING and they are available for civilian purchase. They run diesel, gasoline, LNG, propane.........anything man!

Oh, I'm not going to argue against propane (though it'd really be a gas to see a propane chainsaw!). Just that if you've got some gasoline, you've got a barter item too, and more things can use it without modifications. You never know what a trade partner might want in return for something you want.

Lessee, I have 5 30lb and maybe 8-9 20 lb tanks here, and when one gets empty, it gets filled next errand loop. I don't get bigger ones, as where they get used I don't want to have to carry anything heavier. I only keep about 15 gal of gasoline around most of the time (outside of the vehicle tanks which I tend to keep full). But I do have that at all times. Normal use in lawnmowers, saws, tractor, and backup generator keeps that fresh. Though since I got those new solar panels, I'm not running backup generators very much at all anymore - I may have to institute a maintenance schedule to ensure they stay ready to go.

Oh, I'm not going to argue against propane (though it'd really be a gas to see a propane chainsaw!).

What about this chainsaw?... and yes you can purchase this for your ar-15.

Attachments

• chainsaw.jpg
    chainsaw.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 9
Myself, I am already converting into battery operated powertools only, another thing to consider. While batteries themselves have finite lifespan, I think it is still a safer option than collect cord-powered potential ballast (if the grid goes down.) Much easier and efficient is to recharge your batt.s from solar or even make some DIY 18V portable "franken-battery", that I will connect to my 18V Makitas via some cord, instead of the orig. batteries (if no longer available/too expensive to replace - they are Li-Ion, rare earths and stuff). Thinking about it now, 24V tools would make even more sense - just use two car batteries in series as this emergency "franken battery", job done. Plenty of off the shelf solar generators for 12V, either, to recharge them. Mine (18V) would require 3x 6V batt.s in series, more cumbersome and less popular than using 2 x 12V

For now, I have them on a fast-charger - amazing stuff, they charge fully in 25 mins. I only need two batteries, for every job at hand - you could not drain the whole battery quicker, than the other recharges - even when using circular saw (most juice-hungry, from what I have). Chainsaw would probably eat even more juice, I suppose. They have come a long way, these DC power tools. Just don't buy el cheapo ones, quality tools are essential.

Last edited:
I've been acquiring non-power tools for a while now.

Makita rocks. Best for any money on most of their stuff. Ryobi isn't bad - might be best for the money, both are all over my shop. The new Li-Ion batteries for the ryobi stuff are very good, if expensive, and unlike Makita, work on earlier tools too - while trying to get NiMh batteries for my older makita stuff is both difficult and very expensive.

And, you're right - with batteries to provide the really big peak power demands, you can charge batteries off "not much at all" with much lower power rate input. Though so far, the battery powered chainsaws are kind of a joke, that cheap remington electric they sell at lowes will run off that small honda generator, or the inverter in the back of my vehicles. I like that remington better than my big-bad sthil.

I carry a ryobi sawzall on my mowing tractor - a limb hits me, it's an instant goner.

Just for the hell of it, I'm going to throw in Hilti. We have several battery tools manufactured by Hilti and they outperform anything else in our tool crib; hands down. However, and this is a huge caveat, they are three times more expensive. But, if you are seeking longevity and a tool that you can absolutely beat the living hell out of and still have a working tool, Hilti is your brand. The reciprocating saw [sawzall] is unbelievable and will go full duty against an electric one by Milwaukee tools any day of the week for up to one hour non-stop. The batteries charge in an hour or so, so we got three of them for each tool. Two 18V drills, 1-24V hammer drill and one reciprocating saw. It's kind of nice when you can cost your new toys to "the job".

Last edited:
yep, Hilti is awesome, too, but like you said expensive. Makitas are also quite durable and will take some beating with grace. As with Ryobi, would second DCFusor that might be best for money (but not their el cheapo series, but their top range ones, of course), and I believe their newest batteries are these "nanophosphate" ones - I think it is either A123 Systems, or Toshiba technology (one of the two). They have both very high power densities, and superior longevity (I believe A123s nanophosphates have life expectancy in few thousands of full cycles, as opposed to other Li-ions being in few hundreds). A123's nanophosphates were used by RC DC fliers for quite a few years now, field-tested ;). Will take a shitload of power delivered in short time when fast-charged, also will provide a lot of juice when needed, without frying itself.

As for hand tools - I have plenty already, the thing is, they will not necessarily outlast good quality DC power tools (and certainly not, if we take into account the manhours, required otherwise to match them w/ hand tools only), and if I can be reasonably crash-proof with a newer and more efficient stuff, well, I'll take power tools, thank you very much ;). They are so much more fun!

Trying to be prepared doesn't necessarily meant getting back to a stone age ;). I'll try to get as little drop in efficiency as only manageable. DC powertools seem to be a decent compromise

you guys have obviously never heard of Silverline Tools ........

i price whatever i need into the job and its a bonus if its still working when ive finished (-:

And 'tool station' give me a replacement, cos theres a years warranty, although sometimes i have to buy a new pump or something so i can return a broken one :flushed:

then ive got two new pieces of silverline. :doodoo:

I can change brushes in their angle grinders in a few seconds .....as long as i kept the original box with the spare set.

'Mr Silverline' here is so 'set up' :paperbag:

just wish i could break the habit and buy some makita though :judge:

One of my makita half-inch 18 v drills lived through half a dozen falls off a 32 foot roof while building this place with it, being painted over (dropped into a bucket), and various other insults. Still fine. It's also broken a couple of my ribs when I stupidly tried to make a 3" hole saw into some plexiglass - it lifted me off my feet after punching me in the plexus hard going up. I also use it as the "electric start" on small engines - the flywheel nuts are all about the same size, and to drive lag bolts and so on, plenty of torque for that.

I also cost out all my stuff, I own a "machine shop" that does various tax losing things. I have to say that for portable tools, it's rare I'd pick up one with a cord on it anymore unless there's some very compelling reason - like my gear drive circular saw on really hard jobs.

Good stuff!

Somehow the ryobi stuff uses the same brush/commutator materials as the old lionel train sets and produces that same smell. Really takes you back...

Don't take me wrong DC, I'm all about Ryobi topo, it's just that when given the opportunity, and a huge tool budget, I dipped in to the glamour pool and picked up the Hilti stuff just to see if the hype was true. We have a full arsenal of battery stuff for working in and around environments that are very wet, so we've tried them all. For weight and battery bang, Ryobi is the solid shoice, but for sheer durability and power, my hat is off to Hilti. I have wondered however, what my total power loss is when inverting solar generated power in to AC, then plugging in a charger to convert it back to DC.

You can tell your power loss pretty easily, by how hot things get. It's pretty small on the scale of a system that can also run the house. Most batteries have about 30% round trip energy loss (and maybe some more in the charger), but in this case, it's way way worth it - 35% of next to nothing is not a worry.

I'd never even heard of Hilti - who carries it?

Hilti is a manufacturer of industrial class tools, more frequently they can be found being used by very llarge construction companies, power plants etc. They are a very old german company that makes and sells extremely high end, extremely well engineered tools and equipment. Their stuff is hard as nails.

Makita rocks.

Fusor - good feedback here. What are your impressions of DeWalt?

Rosenzweig said the safe weighs several hundred pounds, and it would almost surely take more than one person to remove it from the residence.

Read more: http://tdn.com/news/local/mount-ple...291-11e1-a2ac-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1rl4rJz3f

Couple observations here:
1. I would say the safe was undersized for the value of the contents.
2. Why wasn't the safe bolted down to secure it?

Their stuff seems mostly for woodworkers, which isn't what I do, so I couldn't say. Like everything, they have some fans. My woodworker friends use Makita and Ryobi mostly.

I've found Milwaukee variable - my worm drive saw totally kicks. But I burned out 3 of their tight-space angle head drills in warranty building this place drilling 1" holes in wood joists with it.

I used to have a Millers Falls worm drive saw, drill and router. They were the finest carpentry tools I ever owned. Next to that, I owned a Montgomery Ward router constructed of aircraft aluminum from top to bottom, that lasted me twenty years, until I loaned it to a friend who cocked it up because although he claimed he knew what he was doing, did not. I sincerely mourned the loss of that router. The Porter Cable router I replaced it with was pretty good, but not nearly as durable.

For many years, De Walt was the 'pro' version of Black & Decker, so had things like sealed bearings but in recent years it seems to have been re-marketed to more or less cover the old B&D diy ranges.
Lots of hype and yellow plastic and not much better than the old diy stuff.

I have had a DX450 hilti nail gun for ever and it still drives hiltis ( the best nails i know of ) into steel or old hard concrete as good as the day it was first used.

German engineering still seems to have the edge .......

I've been acquiring non-power tools for a while now.
Meat Power ftw!

I've been manualizing myself slowly as well. Saving money, building strength, acquiring skills, and a little patience too.

I understand powertools have their place, and if I ever have the opporunity to keep a Bridgeport mill I will do so, but not everything needs a motor.

I've had a DeWalt drill for about a decade. No complaints and it is fine for the diy stuff that I do. When I had access to a machine shop we had a fleet of cordless DeWalt drills that worked fine, but as you guys said there is better stuff if you want it.

It could be German craftsmanship more than engineering, but it's not like they stink at very much. A lot of the stuff I have to buy because I can't make it well enough - is German or Austrian (much of the more exotic vacuum gear). Go with the best, it saves time and money later.

Good insight on the 'pro' B&D, man. I bought about 2 B&D tools proximate to building this place. Brushes wore out on a jigsaw in one cutting up of a standard sheet of drywall...nasty warranty procedure = trash can is your friend.

I don't know how it might be in a full CNC shop (some guys on my board have that), but here we use a goodly amount of meat power. Those last tenths of a thousandth...But heck, I grew up with a dad who didn't know you could sharpen drills, and never replaced them till they broke. Needless to say, large holes + dull drills made me hate working with stuff - like the radios and amplifiers we were building (tubes).

But then decades of "bits only" output and I wanted to have stuff I could say - I did that - and get a good reaction, hence the shift. And now I can own sharp drills and other nice tools. Not sure if I wish I could send them to my own past, would have been interesting to see what that changed.

Ah, well, in vino veritas. Good thoughts to all.

...BTW, there are crazy sales going on AMazon US for some of the MAkitas, i.e.:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EYUQPK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: Makita LXT218 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 2-Piece Combo Kit: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jsfLd4G%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@51jsfLd4G%2BL[/ame]
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LNN2QO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: Makita Bare-Tool BSS611Z 18-Volt LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 6-1/2-Inch Circular Saw: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zQTtHN7qL.@@AMEPARAM@@51zQTtHN7qL[/ame]

...makes me wanna cry, seeing how cheap you can get good quality stuff in US... same stuff over here (in UK) would be at least twice as expensive. Nothing serves people better than import duties and VAT tax :mad:

Yeah, even with your higher tax rates, your governments on that side of the pond still spend more than they take in. Proves you shouldn't raise taxes, and just handle it with spending.

The guys on my board often buy/sell stuff across the pond. We just put it in crappy old looking boxes and declare it worth about the price of the scrap metal. So far, that works.

I paid about $300 each for my two makita 1/2" drills in NiMH - which is high for a drill, but not these drills. I might jump on that saw though, since they Ryobi isn't all that stout and I know the makita would probably not really need teeth on the blade to cut - those things have the torque.

...makes me wanna cry, seeing how cheap you can get good quality stuff in US... same stuff over here (in UK) would be at least twice as expensive. Nothing serves people better than import duties and VAT tax :mad:

I still buy lots of stuff from the US. Many companies will ship internationally and if not, then I have it sent to my Mom's and she sends it on to us. If you keep it under $400, you are almost never charged GST (General Sales Tax of 15%).

We just turned a friend here in NZ on to a website for herbs. She was amazed that things were 1/2 the price as in NZ.

I recently bought a couple of books from Amazon UK and saved a lot.

Back
Top Bottom