It's not a bribe, it's a business card

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pmbug

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
United-States
Hong Kong also seems to be a popular place for Chinese bureaucrats to store their ill-gotten wealth. In fact, one of the new trends we’ve seen and heard about from business colleagues in Asia is how mainland officials are now receiving bribes in the form of solid gold business cards.

Imagine you’re a businessman in Xian who needs some silly permit, and you have to grease a local bureaucrat. It would be untoward to deliver a suitcase full of cash… especially these days with all the internal scrutiny from the Bo Xilai incident.

So now what business people seem to be doing is minting solid gold business cards. When they want to bribe an official, they schedule a meeting, and hand them a business card or six. It’s so innocuous, nobody really notices.

For the bureaucrat, it’s much simpler to travel with a few ‘gold cards’ than cash. And Hong Kong is an easy place to store a collection of such cards… or even melt them down into other forms.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gold-cards-are-the-new-bribe-in-china-2012-10?0=moneygame-contributor

:gold:

I read this earlier today and it caused a big laugh at work. I work with a lot of people born in China and I guess bribery and seeing the vaule in gold is the norm over there. My coworkers thought it was funny that Americans made such a big deal about such a thing.

...again, different culture, different values... Bribery is commonplace in Poland, too - unfortunately. One of the reasons I've emigrated. One either lives by his values, or get's very bad mana over time!

I suppose it is always the case in places where officials have too much to say - the system got corrupted. And people born and risen in such system, see nothing strange or abnormal in such corruption.

Too bad for them.

Back
Top Bottom