• American Buffalo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canadian Maple Leaf

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Krugerrand

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Mexican Libertard/Onza

• Mexican 50 Peso (okay, it's 1.2057 oz)

• Austrian Philharmonic

• Australian Lunar

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Chinese Panda

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • generic rounds

• Total voters

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Who the hell likes the american eagle? I mean seriously.. Those aren't even that detailed of coins.

We need pictures.

I made the mistake of voting before reading that it was for Gold. I honestly thought the forum was bugging out and letting me vote a second time on the silver ounce poll.

If I were to vote on gold ounce, based on LOOKS alone, it would be for the Buffalo, the Lunar, or the Panda.

I voted based upon my investing preference FWIW.

I like the Krugerrands. Same specifications as the Gold Eagle, but cheaper premiums.

That's what I would have guessed. I'm also interested in the 50 Peso since it tends to have the lowest premiums, very low face value (if import duties counts it that way), and it is large and impressive.

As good as the 24kt coins look, I prefer the harder 22kt to avoid accidental damage.

^ lol - that's telling him!

I like the Eagle because it is the most recognizable... Also I can store them in those plastic US Mint tubes they come in (20 pcs / tube).

Although I like to handle PM's and like the 22kt coins because of their durability, IMO the 24kt coins are just so much sexier. They have a great yellow color where with the 22kt coins there is a slight red-ish color due to the copper that's added. Just have to make sure to keep the softer 24kt ones protected to avoid accidental damage.

This is my personal 1oz favourite for appearance, especially beautiful if a little old and worn (it's essentially a big fat Sovereign, but a much finer coin):

http://www.taxfreegold.co.uk/images/1893fivepoundbugoldrev400.jpg

...however Krugerrands are the quantity item over here. Those and maples - where available. Eagles can't really be found here without ordering from across the pond. Britannias are fine but the premiums are just stupidly expensive and they are not as authentic looking as the old £5 coin.

Although I like to handle PM's and like the 22kt coins because of their durability, IMO the 24kt coins are just so much sexier. They have a great yellow color where with the 22kt coins there is a slight red-ish color due to the copper that's added. Just have to make sure to keep the softer 24kt ones protected to avoid accidental damage.
I have to agree that the 24kt coins look great, especially the Buffalo.

My favorite one on the posted list is the AE, but I sure do also like the British Sovereigns too.

Krugerrands.
From my experience they are very well known arround the world. I´ve been to Asia and Latin America several times and people seem to prefer this coin. I don´t have any statistics, just my personal impression.

Krugerrands.
From my experience they are very well known arround the world. I´ve been to Asia and Latin America several times and people seem to prefer this coin. I don´t have any statistics, just my personal impression.

The political issues surrounding the coin is pretty negative so it's hard for me to like it. If you are wanting straight bullion without a premium, it's a logical choice.

Of the gold coins, I prefer the Eagle above all others.

However, I have some one ounce 50 pence pieces from Ascension Island. They are an extremely limited coinage of just a few thousand of each one. They are marine life themed and absolutely beautiful. i am very happy with them, even though I paid twenty pounds each for them in 2001. My game is the poor man's gold.

Back
Top Bottom