Have you purchased Eagles like this?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dave606

Fly on the Wall
Reaction score
I purchased over two hundred 2012 silver Eagles this year. However the last two tubes look really bad. The one on the right is from the last forty and the left all the rest. Anyone else purchased any aluminum looking silver Eagles

Attachments

• Bad Eagles..jpg
    Bad Eagles..jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 30
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. :wave:

Have you weighed them and verified their dimensions?

Mass 31.103 g (1.00 troy oz)
Diameter 40.6 mm (1.598 in)
Thickness 2.98 mm (0.1193 in)

If it's indeed fake, you should contact the US Mint / Treasury or Secret Service as they are technically legal tender and subject to the same counterfeiting investigations as with paper money.

~~~

Perhaps you got some proof coins?

http://lynncoins.com/proofcoin_article.htm

I am not sure what you mean by aluminum looking. I would weigh them. Have you done that? I have you compared the sizes to the other ones you think look good? Seems odd just posting a random pic of some coins asking if they are fake without discussing any work you have done.

What are you talking about asking if they are fake? Did you actually read my post? I am asking if anyone purchase any silver Eagles that LOOK like aluminum. I know for a fact they are legit. I have purchased like I said over two hundred this year and over a thousand in my life but never with a finish like these. I didn't post a picture for a validation of authenticity.

Yeah, I heard a rumor that 2012 ASE were coming looking different. Less like they used to and sloppy. As I said, a rumor. Thanks for the picture. Please consider following up with the particulars like PM Bug suggested - weight and dimensions. Maybe call your coin dealer and discuss the change in appearance. Maybe they know more and can help you understand the difference.

that spectrum of colours on the 'dodgy' one looks exactly like the set of colours you get on a hot chrome plated exhaust pipe or stainless steel flue pipe ........

not something i recall seeing on any silver but i have only ever seen old silver

The proof coins have that mirrored finish from what I'm reading/seeing. I've never bought one, so I can't say for sure.

All my 2011's are super shiny, like a Maple. They changed the finish from matte to shiny last year.

Matte vs shiny finish would explain it. For my part, I haven't got any Eagles so can't do a similar comparison. Coin shop dealer could answer your question the best. That's where I'd go.

All of the 2012 eagles that I saw at my LCS a few minutes ago had this "frosted" aluminum -look-...

FWIW.

Back
Top Bottom