New Investment

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Mark

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
Just invested in some Lead today. 500 rounds of 230 gr, LRN in .45 ACP for re-loading. Might turn out to be more valuable than silver here in the near future.

Make sure you buy plenty of powder & primers.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!

Good for you Mark!!

That was a wise move and one that will pay you back.

My kid and I have been "brass crabs" at our range for years now, and have a number of five gallon buckets with sorted brass discarded by those who have guns and shoot them, but no idea of the innate value of their spent brass.

Good for you Mark!!

That was a wise move and one that will pay you back.

My kid and I have been "brass crabs" at our range for years now, and have a number of five gallon buckets with sorted brass discarded by those who have guns and shoot them, but no idea of the innate value of their spent brass.

Perfect camouflage over your PM burial site. Make the area look like a sighting in spot and anyone with a metal detector will run away. Throw in some rusty nails too.

Went out to the Gun Club yeterday to crab for some brass. There was none to be had. I think Hitler's threats are causing widespread panic in the shooting world and everyone's going to start re-loading. Brass is the new Silver.

I also get lead back out of backstops.

Not to shill, but Dillon sells two very neat (and not too expensive) tools for reloading. One is a thing originally used in orchards to pick up nuts, but it works great on brass - even in fairly thick grass. Finds all sorts you can't even see, all you do is roll it over the ground and it winds up inside a basket.

The other one is a sorting sieve set that sorts brass by size. No longer do I have to sweat putting the .38 in one bag, the .223 in another, the .308 in another, the .45....you get the idea. You can simply shake-sort all your brass. The only sizes you can't tumble clean together is anything + .45 acp, which tends to get other shells jammed into its case mouth so neither gets clean.
(note, the stuff they sell in pet stores called lizard litter is the exact same thing they sell in reloading supplies - but at a far cheaper price. It's all still just crushed walnut shells)

Believe it or not, you can get into reloading for quite cheap prices with Lee stuff....their expensive stuff isn't so great, but their cheap stuff actually is pretty good, just more laborious to use than a dillon progressive. I have a few lee presses and dies here along with the rest. You could probably be set for under $100, even now.

The problem is, all the major mailorder places (midway, cabellas etc) are just flat out of things like primers - with no backorder accepted. I talked to Dianne Bishop of Bishop ammo (they are a small outfit that makes great reloads) and the word from her is that demand simply went ballistic (pun intended) and even she can't ship you much of anything - all sold out. They are still able to get brass, they use the rather expensive Starline brand, which may account for some of that.

So, you'd better get some primers at the next gun show if they have any at all. I always get 1000's of the various sizes, and right now I'm pretty fat on all supplies.
I even have a rather nice mold for casting handgun bullets for .38 and .45 from my scrounged lead, sizer and lube, all that. I haven't searched for gunpowder, but it seems everything or almost everything just flew off all the shelves everywhere.

Looks like the time to get ready was a month or two ago, and I was ahead of the curve.

DCFusor makes a great point. Preparation is an "always thing". If/when the present ammo (and re-loading supplies that some you are into) shortages abate, then keep buying, at least a little when you can.

I am pretty new to the guns & ammo arena, and so have not bought up as much as I would LIKE to have, but I probably have enough that is NECESSARY.

With precious metals, especially gold, I have had a LOT of time to buy (decades). But, I plan to keep on buying. This "gun run" because of Obama being likely to crack down may just be a warm-up for gold becoming difficult to get...

:gold: <--- Now!

I have had bad experience with Lee and don't like the owner. I stay away from Lee and others, also. Their reloading data destroyed a weapon of mine. Stick to Lyman, RCBS. Lee stuff is very cheaply made. The only problems with Hornady and Redding is that, although they are well made, much of their stuff isn't interchangeable with other makes (save for their dies). Lyman's the oldest and their presses are among the best made. You can usually pick up some pretty good, used Lyman and RCBS stuff on e-Bay fairly cheap. For shotguns, I find MEC to be great. Although MEC isn't not top of the line, other companies make MEC compatible accesories. I have an ancient "Versamec" that's phenominal. Of course, if your re-loading hundreds and hundreds of brass or hulls, Ponsness-Warren and Dillon are pretty hard to beat.

Question about new investment-

When TSHTF, the area I live in is between the so called have-have nots...ie; chances for mob-looting/violence are high. Concerning home-protection and legal firearms, it's an extremely firearm-friendly state. I've spent most of my efforts (am debt free!) ensuring fiscal security- which took a long time (forever). I've lived in parts of the world and the US where crime was outta control- and street smarts were developed and helped out a lot.

This is much different...for one, I am responsible for family; I'm not exploring the world alone but ensuring those whom I love make it through any WC scenario.

Three uncles and my father were WW2; my favorite uncle (still alive) was a minesweeper, first deployment operation overload (Omaha), I mention this to say I'm not 100% ignorant when it comes to things related to...those things. My best friend was a ranger (received the DSC for the mess in Somalia). We would talk about his experiences.

I had a beginners .22 single shot rifle when I was a child; which is the extent of my personal know.

I'm familiar with forums regarding the subject of home-defense. Like stacking, there are endless takes on the subject...it seems the most important presently is one of availability regarding ammo and cost. The two "schools" seem "get what u can handle" and "what is available". Me and 2 family members. I understand importance of practice. That being said...any recommendations/info sources? Budget is 5k.

Apologize if I'm in the wrong section, the firearm only forums are a different beast.

Ty

Question about new investment-

When TSHTF, the area I live in is between the so called have-have nots...ie; chances for mob-looting/violence are high. Concerning home-protection and legal firearms, it's an extremely firearm-friendly state. I've spent most of my efforts (am debt free!) ensuring fiscal security- which took a long time (forever). I've lived in parts of the world and the US where crime was outta control- and street smarts were developed and helped out a lot.

This is much different...for one, I am responsible for family; I'm not exploring the world alone but ensuring those whom I love make it through any WC scenario.

Three uncles and my father were WW2; my favorite uncle (still alive) was a minesweeper, first deployment operation overload (Omaha), I mention this to say I'm not 100% ignorant when it comes to things related to...those things. My best friend was a ranger (received the DSC for the mess in Somalia). We would talk about his experiences.

I had a beginners .22 single shot rifle when I was a child; which is the extent of my personal know.

I'm familiar with forums regarding the subject of home-defense. Like stacking, there are endless takes on the subject...it seems the most important presently is one of availability regarding ammo and cost. The two "schools" seem "get what u can handle" and "what is available". Me and 2 family members. I understand importance of practice. That being said...any recommendations/info sources? Budget is 5k.

Apologize if I'm in the wrong section, the firearm only forums are a different beast.

Ty

Good on you, Mark. And thanks for the info on the Lee, Mark. I actually was just about to buy one. Welcome, bugs. I want to say buy from a gun show, but I don't know if the prices are friendly anymore since the freak-out. Everything I've got has come from either gun shows or friends. The last two guns I acquired I traded silver for. Bough a "20 gauge" from the thrice convicted drug dealer across the street; turned out to be a 16 gauge. I'm still trying to figure out how he never noticed. But I live in a very gun friendly town, in a very gun friendly state. I did a mental survey of all the guns on my street. Counting the three militia groups, there seem to be an average of 20 guns per house, in a two block radius. Ammo is another story. Even the 86 year old lady across the street the other way (I live on a corner) has a pistol and quit a few rifles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom