Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Precious Metals and Economic News > Fiat Ponzi

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By ancona
  • 1 Post By PMBug
  • 1 Post By ancona
  • 1 Post By 11C1P
  • 2 Post By rblong2us
  • 3 Post By PMBug

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2015, 06:02 PM   #1
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Interesting Bitcoin thread

since the head of Mt. Gox was just arrested

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comm...e_first_mtgox/
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
I made the mistake of buying it recently. it takes 4 days to come and 4 days to go.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:59 AM   #3
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by Penn View Post:
I made the mistake of buying it recently. it takes 4 days to come and 4 days to go.
I don't get it. I thought it was electronic?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
I could never get my head wrapped around the whole idea of invisible money. When that guy managed to let a shit pile of it get stolen from "Mt. Gox" I think it was called, that's when I said Nope! I guess I'm too old and too traditional. If I can't hold that stuff in my hand, it doesn't really exist. Not in the actual existential sense of being anyhow.
11C1P likes this.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Ground Beetle

Liked: 502 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
I could never get my head wrapped around the whole idea of invisible money. When that guy managed to let a shit pile of it get stolen from "Mt. Gox" I think it was called, that's when I said Nope! I guess I'm too old and too traditional. If I can't hold that stuff in my hand, it doesn't really exist. Not in the actual existential sense of being anyhow.
I've never understood it either, and to me it's even more mind boggling when supposedly the people that are into this form of currency get into it cause they don't trust Govt. fiat currency. Now having a private form of fiat currency that can go poof anytime a server goes down, or your power goes out, no thanks. I was also further mystified by finding out how they "mine" the money for this stuff. You get a computer & program that are devoted to counting and keeping track of the currency, and that makes more currency!?!? When I read that I was wondering what nigerian prince you would have to mail the money orders to if you want to get in on it.
11C1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #6
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2444 times
Originally Posted by 11C1P View Post:
... I was also further mystified by finding out how they "mine" the money for this stuff. You get a computer & program that are devoted to counting and keeping track of the currency, and that makes more currency!?!? ...
As I understand it, the mining program runs an app similar to a brute force cryptography cracker. It tries to identify very, very large prime numbers or something like that. Each prime number is used to create a single, unique bitcoin.

For me, bitcoin has a few major flaws:
  • transaction blockchain - anyone with the computing power can follow the transaction flow of a bitcoin or a wallet
  • centralization - this was news a while back when an operator captured 50+% of the computing backbone for bitcoin
  • infrastructure - it requires a functioning electrical grid and internet access - it's no good when times are most desperate (natural disaster or SHTF)
11C1P likes this.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:56 AM   #7
Ground Beetle

Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
As I understand it, the mining program runs an app similar to a brute force cryptography cracker. It tries to identify very, very large prime numbers or something like that. Each prime number is used to create a single, unique bitcoin.

For me, bitcoin has a few major flaws:
  • transaction blockchain - anyone with the computing power can follow the transaction flow of a bitcoin or a wallet
  • centralization - this was news a while back when an operator captured 50+% of the computing backbone for bitcoin
  • infrastructure - it requires a functioning electrical grid and internet access - it's no good when times are most desperate (natural disaster or SHTF)
So that doesn't seem to be any more logical to me. Could you imagine someone saying U.S. currency is valuable, because the govt. spends lots of time creating very unique serial numbers for each dollar printed? They would lock you up in a loony bin, which itself is damn near impossible these days.

Also, the 3rd point you mention, was also one of my big problems with it.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
Golden Cockroach

It isn't valuable because of the time spent identifying the numbers. Scarcity (relative to market size) is what drives value. It's the computational limits of identifying these huge prime numbers that enforce a limit on the existence/growth of bitcoins.

It's a bit like saying that owning a bitcoin is like owning a (blockchain verified) claim to a (specific) huge prime number.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
Ground Beetle

Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
It isn't valuable because of the time spent identifying the numbers. Scarcity (relative to market size) is what drives value. It's the computational limits of identifying these huge prime numbers that enforce a limit on the existence/growth of bitcoins.

It's a bit like saying that owning a bitcoin is like owning a (blockchain verified) claim to a (specific) huge prime number.
Which is about as valuable as saying you own drawing of magical creature you created. Only IMO the picture would be more valuable to me, cause at least you could hang it on your wall and have something real to look at. By all means if you like bitcoin, go for it, it's just not for me, I'd just as soon try collecting smoke from campfires and call it valuable.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
Golden Cockroach

Well yeah, that's the issue #2 I mentioned above. The claim is only as good as the integrity of the blockchain system. When an operator (or a collusion of a handful of operators) can manipulate the blockchain, it's not the same as a "bird in the hand".

Old 08-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #11
Ground Beetle

Hmmm, 2 posts so far both links to some site I wouldn't click on if you paid me. Welcome to forum!
Old 08-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #12
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
Originally Posted by 11C1P View Post:
Hmmm, 2 posts so far both links to some site I wouldn't click on if you paid me. Welcome to forum!
Ya......definite doosh bag.
11C1P likes this.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #13
Ground Beetle

Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
Ya......definite doosh bag.
ancona likes this.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #14
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 871 times
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/k...is-head-17.png

then rblong is content
ancona and 11C1P like this.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #15
Golden Cockroach

We apologise for the spam in the discussion thread. Those responsible have been sacked (and the spam deleted). Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretti nasti...
ancona, rblong2us and 11C1P like this.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:09 AM   #16
Ground Beetle