Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > BSTS

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Liked: 685 times
Different take on a Bug Out Location

I see many people talk about the idea of having a seperate property far away from cities to retreat to called a Bug Out Location (BOL). Assuming you live near water, has anyone ever thought of a sailboat as a BOL?

For similar, or even cheaper, price of a land based BOL, you could buy a sailboat capable of sailing far away from the SHTF incident.
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/

Discuss!
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2444 times
Arrrrrr matey. The sea is a cruel mistress.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
vox
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 65 times
Boats are freaking money pits.

You have your monthly maintenance, and then your quarterly maintenance, and then your annual maintenance. Towhich, let's not forget your standard, random maintenance.
ancona likes this.
vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 131 times
You're pretty much defenseless in a boat.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
ancona likes this.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BigJim View Post:
You're pretty much defenseless in a boat.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
What exactly is going to attack you 5+ miles offshore? If it is the military you are worried about, you have just as much chance (zero) of defending yourself at land based location.

If a Japan type situation happens, you can not move your BOL out of the fallout path.

Basically, instead of digging in, this is more of a leave the danger zone strategy.
Never free.

Last edited by benjamen; 06-01-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Predaceous stink bug

Originally Posted by benjamen View Post:
What exactly is going to attack you 5+ miles offshore? If it is the military you are worried about, you have just as much chance (zero) of defending yourself at land based location.

If a Japan type situation happens, you can not move your BOL out of the fallout path.

Basically, instead of digging in, this is more of a leave the danger zone strategy.
Someone with a bigger,faster boat & more guns than you.
If you can get 5 miles out,so can the bad guys.
Think pirates,drug runners,etc...

GOD BLESS & BRING OUR TROOPS HOME!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Golden Cockroach

No one needs to attack you if you are holding PMs and out on a boat.

http://www.pmbug.com/forum/f9/why-th...ccidents-1027/

Duh!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Predaceous stink bug

Another thought.
If the boat springs a leak or power/sail is disabled,good luck walking back to land.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BigJim View Post:
Someone with a bigger,faster boat & more guns than you.
If you can get 5 miles out,so can the bad guys.
Think pirates,drug runners,etc...

GOD BLESS & BRING OUR TROOPS HOME!!!
Using the same logic, a group with more guns and personnel than you can over run any location on land.

For both scenarios they would have to both know where you located and have a reason to want to attack you.
Never free.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
Golden Cockroach

A boat would be great for a short term solution if you want to escape society. Not so great for the long term if you enjoy eating more than fish.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
A boat would be great for a short term solution if you want to escape society. Not so great for the long term if you enjoy eating more than fish.
Very true; The hypothetical SHTF situation would either be short term (perhaps 90 days or less) or long term. For the longer term situations, the boat would be used to relocate to another area. The worst situation for this solution would be a long term and worldwide event.
Never free.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
As a used-to-be sailor, yeah, "a boat is a hole in the water you attempt to fill with money".

You're damn exposed in a boat. Fire is death. Bullet holes don't have to be in you to kill you either. You're very easy to find and stand out like a sore thumb on radar. There are a lot of cases now of piracy of private boats by bigger/faster drug runners who want your boat. Not like on land in rough terrain where you might not be very visible, or stand out so much.

I'll stick with my remote bugout in Floyd, myself, where I bugged out to in '79, and am just now really getting the true prep together, it takes time to learn the ways of working with nature (instead of failing to dominate it). While yes, a swift attack by a group of law enforcement DID temporarily overwhelm me, that was pretty expensive for them to put together, and they had a specific destination. But "zombie hoardes", not the same thing. No similar armed and skilled group seems much of a threat because they are quite rare, and there are richer targets easier to get to than me, and they don't know I'm here anyway. And I have friends...lots...who are all ready and who all stay in touch about anything the looks like a threat coming into the neighborhood. You'd have to get past half a dozen of them to even get to me, and my phone would be ringing off the hook long before that.

I'm not a huge fan of the "remote bug out" place while you continue to live in a city and feed the beast. You can't learn what I've had to learn that way, so when you get there (if you do) you'll still be pretty doggone helpless, won't have the network, the right tools and skills to use it well. Of course, that's just IMO - but if you think you can read half a dozen books and know how to survive in the remote country, you're delusional - it's not pure knowledge, it requires wisdom and is a way of life, not a game or something you can just turn on and off.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #13
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 871 times
Totally agree DCF.

So the answer to Benjamens OP is to put submarines on his ebay watch list (-:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1960...item1e6e97ab09

now theres some stealth
Old 06-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 68 times
I had a great bug-out location. Approximately 100 acres with three cleared fields of about 5 acres each. 700 square foot cabin on a 1/2 acre pond. The long side of the property is bounded by a sizeable stream. And its all very remote. Only problem through the years has been keeping people from breaking in. Nevertheless, I always considered it my retreat location.

Unfortunately, a tornado came through in March and dropped two giant white oak trees on the cabin, which is now destroyed.
Looking on the bright side, at least I still have the property!
HCA1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 2046 times
I dream of a place like that HCA. I have a very good and long time friend with some deep woods property in Florida that we use for a hunt camp. I recently scored a bunch of 1/2" Transite panels to replace the tin roof with and am collecting Transite panels to replace the T 1-11 panels with to make it completely fireproof. What we don't have is sweet water. Our well is heavy with sulfur and iron, but we can filter it for drinking and aerate it for washing. It's a little rough, but all in all it is a pretty good location. We have plenty of hogs and other critters in the woods and fairly arable land. We want to have some goats but are not there often enough to properly care for them.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #16
Super Moderator

I guess my idea lines up with my idea of the SHTF situation being our own government running amok. I would like the option of simply leaving (good luck getting your valuables through TSA).

Example:
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/for...ic-enforcement

Despite being expressly forbidden by the Constitution, the top general in the army wants to start policing "domestic terrorists"
Never free.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
Super Moderator

I guess my idea lines up with my idea of the SHTF situation being our own government running amok. I would like the option of simply leaving (good luck getting your valuables through TSA).

Example:
http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/for...ic-enforcement

Despite being expressly forbidden by the Constitution, the top general in the army wants to start policing "domestic terrorists"
Related story I just found:
http://www.thedailybell.com/3929/Ant...to-Declare-War

"The US military staged a mock drill in violation of 130+ years of the Posse Comitatus Act that bars domestic forces from active use on US soil.

It wasn't just the US, either. Some 90 nations supposedly participated in the drill, which aimed to "rescue" Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn, supposedly kidnapped by terrorists. There were helicopters overhead and a tactical assault showed up by water. Then special ops teams invaded a "terrorist village" near the Convention Center and rescued the mayor, who said he was grateful."

"The Secretary of State seemed to inform the conference that the State Department now had the unilateral authority to declare a limited state of war via an expanding liaison with US Special Operations Forces. Here are some direct quotes:

... We created a new Bureau of Conflict and Stabilization Operations that is working to put into practice lessons learned over the past decade and institutionalize a civilian surge capacity to deal with crises and hotspots.

Experts from this new bureau are working closely with Special Operations Forces around the world ... Our diplomats also saw that the UN staff in the region could be useful partners. So they worked through our team in Washington and New York to obtain new authorities for the UN officials on the ground and then link them up directly with our Special Operations Forces to share expertise and improve coordination."
Never free.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
Super Moderator

http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/06/...obal-by-p.html

"But deep down I don't believe that a remote farm is necessarily safe, defensible, or a better bet than being mobile."

"Totalitarianism is my biggest survival concern."

Discuss!
Never free.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #19
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 1233 times
At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that "news" is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different – in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness.
–Robert Heinlein

While I understand the lust for a perfect solution no matter what - that's a pipe dream. Heinlein said it best. You'd better be your own best bet.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DCFusor View Post:
At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that "news" is not something that happens to other people. He might learn how his ancestors lived and that he himself is no different – in the crunch his life depends on his agility, alertness, and personal resourcefulness.
–Robert Heinlein

While I understand the lust for a perfect solution no matter what - that's a pipe dream. Heinlein said it best. You'd better be your own best bet.
Here is what happens when the safe policeman makes sure your food comes from the supermarket:
http://www.newson6.com/story/1880272...-edible-garden
Never free.