My kid....

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
.....,wants to go to the gun show this weekend with one of her AR-15's and a few 30 round mags, put a little flag on it for 2,500 dollars and see if anyone bites. Ever the opportunist, she reminded me that when Obama was first elected, retailers were out of both assembled guns and parts for over 6 months, but after a bit, they were once more available, and since so much demand was pulled forward, prices for components actually fell to below where they were prior to the election.

Perhaps she is being a bit greedy, but I say what the hell, we built it for under 650 dollars and it really isn't anything special. It has a 20" barrel, an A-4 stock and standard hand guards [polymer] and no optics.

I have seen some AR's on-line for over 2K and it appears at least for now, there are buyers at that price. Selling the rifle wouldn't even dent our preparedness, so perhaps she will get her asking price. We'll see.

I have seen some AR's on-line for over 2K and it appears at least for now, there are buyers at that price. Selling the rifle wouldn't even dent our preparedness, so perhaps she will get her asking price. We'll see.

If anything, it helps because you'll be able to use that cash on other items.

ancona, I have no idea whether that would work out (in the sense of getting significantly more $$$ than you put into building it), but that is a fantastic exercise in free-market economics. If your kid does it, let us know how it works out!

Sounds like any/all of your kids are getting a really good education on how the world really works.

:)

Perhaps she is being a bit greedy, but I say what the hell, we built it for under 650 dollars and it really isn't anything special.

She can always come down in price if it does not sell, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to go up in price after it sells. Better to be high and be able to come down than to be too low and take it in the shorts.

Yeah, it's different around here. At gun shows, good luck getting anything close to the value of the gun, compared to what you might be able to get from someone less savvy online - the people who go are into bargains only.

I've failed several times to get a good price for good guns at shows.
A 1911 - full custom (not a single colt part) IPSC gun - couldn't even get 1k for it.
Didn't sell it - have more than that in it.
A 50 BMG I paid 2k for - can't get 1k for it.

My (now ex) wife sold a pretty new Colt lady special .38 I'd paid $650 for two months previous, at a show for $300, then turned the money into junk jewelry and food before leaving the show. That would be more typical.

AR's are all over under 1k now, or close to 1k. This comes and goes. The local show usually also features products from a guy who builds some really nice uppers - all under 1k, brand new - any twist you want, built in brake or not, you name it. There are usually several dealers selling these, stock or modded ARs for in the 1k range - new. While they also have some for 2k, those are pretty exotic things, and I've never seen someone buy one.

You might get lucky there, but you wouldn't up here in VA.

You might want to start a little higher on that price... just sayin'

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...dy-hook-elementary-school-shooting-in/1267072

"The Hyatt Gun Shop in Charlotte, N.C., racked up more than $1 million in sales Tuesday for the best single-day performance since the store opened in 1959, according to Justin Anderson, director of online sales. Topping the list was the Bushmaster AR-15, the model used at Newtown that sells for as much as $4,000 and had almost sold out, he said."

ADK,
We're re-thinking even bringing it with us. It's not like we need the bread or anything, it was really just a sort of thermometer, if you will, to guage the potential out there right now. They are projecting record turnout this weekend, so we might not even go.

My take is you find more uniformed or "in a hurry" buyers in a gun shop than at a gun show. People at the show more often know their stuff and demand a bargain - and will wait if they don't see it. Just the nature of the venue. First time buyers usually don't get the notice/invites to gun shows for example - don't even know when or where one is. So they go to the retail store and pay the asking price, even if it's stupid.

Good point...

But, I am amazing at what they are bringing right now. Guns and ammo up, pm's down for the moment.

There is a show up my way this weekend, but I'm not going to bother with the crowds, etc. I'm thinking the same way.

ADK

ancona, I have no idea whether that would work out (in the sense of getting significantly more $$$ than you put into building it), but that is a fantastic exercise in free-market economics. If your kid does it, let us know how it works out!

Sounds like any/all of your kids are getting a really good education on how the world really works.

:)

my eleven year old is buying PM's!

When I was in Texas last summer you could get a new AR for $800.

typical of my town here in TX:
Bushmaster AR-15 A3 w/EoTech, Light and More!
Seller : gboshears

Contact Seller - Make Offer
seller's other listings
tell a friend
add to favorites
printer friendly
map this item

Price : $3,200.00
Ad Start : Dec 28
Ad Views : 101

I have a Bushmaster AR-15 A3 for sale with lots of accessories. The weapon has approximately 500 rounds through it and is an excellent shape. There is a little wear on the finish on the lower but barely noticeable. The weapon has an EoTech holographic sight, Yankee Hill forearm with rails, CAA grip, telescoping stock, CAA stock sadle, Blackhawk flashlight with mount, MagPul back up front and rear sights, AGG sling adapter and single point sling. I will include one 30 round magazine with the weapon. I also have a CAA vertical foregrip that I will include but it is not pictured or currently on the weapon.

One note, I am not interested in selling just the weapon. I want to sell the weapon as is with all of the accessories so please don't make me an offer for just the weapon.

$3,200 or best offer.

My take is you find more uniformed or "in a hurry" buyers in a gun shop than at a gun show. People at the show more often know their stuff and demand a bargain - and will wait if they don't see it. Just the nature of the venue. First time buyers usually don't get the notice/invites to gun shows for example - don't even know when or where one is. So they go to the retail store and pay the asking price, even if it's stupid.

It seems that the gun shows I've gone to here in Burnet, Marble Falls, Granite Shoals etc. are WAY overpriced. I've gotten a couple of good deals only because I new the person and would have bought the item outside the show anyway. example: a fellow tried to sell me a corpsman machete for 350, said it was extremely rare. Went home and found a zillion of them online for 60 bucks. DYODD.

Yeah, it's different around here. At gun shows, good luck getting anything close to the value of the gun, compared to what you might be able to get from someone less savvy online - the people who go are into bargains only.

I've failed several times to get a good price for good guns at shows.
A 1911 - full custom (not a single colt part) IPSC gun - couldn't even get 1k for it.
Didn't sell it - have more than that in it.
A 50 BMG I paid 2k for - can't get 1k for it.

My (now ex) wife sold a pretty new Colt lady special .38 I'd paid $650 for two months previous, at a show for $300, then turned the money into junk jewelry and food before leaving the show. That would be more typical.

AR's are all over under 1k now, or close to 1k. This comes and goes. The local show usually also features products from a guy who builds some really nice uppers - all under 1k, brand new - any twist you want, built in brake or not, you name it. There are usually several dealers selling these, stock or modded ARs for in the 1k range - new. While they also have some for 2k, those are pretty exotic things, and I've never seen someone buy one.

You might get lucky there, but you wouldn't up here in VA.

not to be misogynist, but sounds like it was worth 650 to get rid of her (although I'm sure it cost MUCH more....)

was over at an acquaintances house the other day for Christmas (his wife is my wifes friend), he doesn't think there is anything wrong with the economy, and he truly believes that if we run out of oil, "they" will invent something else to replace it. He was ridiculing me for making any kind of preps and with regards to the Obama gun ban thing, he said its just a marketing ploy to drive the price of guns up, just like when Clinton was pres and his friend made a fortune buying magazines... ho hum....

Back
Top Bottom