Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > BSTS

Like Tree19Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Predaceous stink bug
 
HCA1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 143
Liked: 68 times
Stacking Ammo

If anyone cares to share, I'm curious as to how much ammo you think is reasonable to keep on hand at any one time.
HCA1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
Yellow Jacket
 
ancona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Waaay south
Posts: 3,370
Liked: 2046 times
You can never have too much. 25,000 rounds of .22, 10,000 rounds of .223/5.56, 5,000 rounds of 7.62 X 39, 5,000 rounds of various flavors of 9mm parabellum and Makarov, 1,000 rounds for the 30-30, plenty of shotgun shells.


I think that would be a very good start.

On top of that, enough cleaning supplies and oil to clean each weapon 2 or 3 hundred times.
HCA1961 and Jay like this.
__________________
All things being equal, the simplest answer is quite often the correct answer - Occam

Last edited by ancona; 11-09-2012 at 03:25 PM.
ancona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
Golden Cockroach
 
PMBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In Scrooge McDuck's vault
Posts: 7,027
Liked: 2449 times
Stored properly, ammo will keep for years. Assuming you aren't buying some obscure caliber/round, it can be looked at as a poor man's barter item/store of wealth.

Personally, I always think I don't have enough.
oppie2005, ADK and HCA1961 like this.
__________________
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Lao Tzu

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator
 
benjamen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Migratory
Posts: 1,620
Liked: 685 times
A nice base amount is how much you would typically use in one year, which can vary from person to person.

I found this website to be very nice to find who is selling ammo the lowest:
http://ammoseek.com/
ancona likes this.
__________________
I drive men mad
For love of me,
Easily beaten,
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #5
Ground Beetle
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Texan in Sweden
Posts: 549
Liked: 306 times
If you live in a fag country like me, a high-power BB gun is good for survival (but not defense).

You can hunt rabbits all day with a 1,000 rounds in your pocket.
__________________
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

H. L. Mencken

comparegoldandsilverprices.com
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
ADK
Predaceous stink bug
 
ADK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Backwoods of NY
Posts: 223
Liked: 123 times
I'm on board w/ PMBug... you just can't have enough.

I just keep buying when I have the spare cash. And, it could be a great barter item if either the SHTF or tax goes up on it too much.

We might need an ammo cost by weight chart at the top of the page... j/k

ADK
__________________
I like the idea of trading silver with the gentlemen while keeping gold like a king and always appearing as a peasant...
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Yellow Jacket
 
ancona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Waaay south
Posts: 3,370
Liked: 2046 times
When I think about SHTF and ammo, I always get just a little bit nervous, since I believe all production of civilian weapons and sale of same to regular folks will cease. In addition, I further believe there will be some sort of emergency moratorium on the sale and/or posession of ammunition. We regularly read stories of people who are arrested with a "cache" of weapons and "thousands and thousands" of rounds of ammunition.

To the uninitiated, this can be made to sound very scary and conspiritorial, yet the truth of it is that many of us have quite a few guns and many thousands of rounds of ammo. When you say "Joe Smith was found with five weapons and ten thousand rounds of ammunition", that could mean he was a champion Biathlete and had five match rifles chambered in .22 and twenty boxes of ammo, not quite the conspiracy "they" would have you think it is.

I regularly shoot five hundred rounds of .223 and 7.62 X 39 in a weekend and easily shoot five hundred rounds of .22 at the same time. For me too have thirty thousand rounds of .22 is a common occurrence, since I troll the wholesale sites and buy large lots when it is on sale. Same for .223/5.56, 9mm, etc. I could have seventy thousand rounds on any given Sunday, along with a "cache" of assorted weapons and magazines, yet I am not a terrorist or a criminal. In fact, I hold multiple clearances and have a spotless record. In a SHTF, will any of this matter?

Probably not.

Obummer is already rattling his saber about gun control and the UN small arms treaty, which if adopted will usurp our constitution, setting the administration up for a long and expensive constitutional challenge.

To segue back to the subject at hand, how much ammo you may need to stack depends on how you intend to use it. If you intend to hunt food with it, I suggest you use security and food acquisition as a primary metric. If you are one of the folks who have a mountain of food and merely need to augment with a little bit of protein, then security becomes the primary metric. In my case, it is security, then food, then practice and training.
PMBug, ADK and Jay like this.
__________________
All things being equal, the simplest answer is quite often the correct answer - Occam

Last edited by ancona; 11-09-2012 at 08:24 AM.
ancona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Yellow Jacket
 
DCFusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Floyd, Virginia
Posts: 1,682
Liked: 1233 times
Remember how they "got" Al Capone? Where I live, anything over 10k means you are supposed to register and pay an armory tax.

I usually only keep a couple k loaded, but with enough supplies to make more almost indefinitely - I buy brass and primers in 1k lots, and powder in 8 lb lots.

All I have to hide is some of the primers (easy) to avoid the armory tax issue.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Yellow Jacket
 
ancona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Waaay south
Posts: 3,370
Liked: 2046 times
An "armory tax" Just what in the fuck is that? Hell, ten thousand rounds of .22 is only twenty boxes for 'cryin out loud. That's absurd, where the hell do they have that ridiculous, intrusive and possibly illegal tax may I ask!?!?!?
__________________
All things being equal, the simplest answer is quite often the correct answer - Occam
ancona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
Jay
Yellow Jacket
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,511
Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
You can never have too much. 25,000 rounds of .22, 10,000 rounds of .223/5.56, 5,000 rounds of 7.62 X 39, 5,000 rounds of various flavors of 9mm parabellum and Makarov, 1,000 rounds for the 30-30, plenty of shotgun shells.


I think that would be a very good start.

On top of that, enough cleaning supplies and oil to clean each weapon 2 or 3 hundred times.
McKenzie -11yo Girl Sets New Record for Field Stripping AR15
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Jay
Yellow Jacket
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,511
Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by ancona View Post:
When I think about SHTF and ammo, I always get just a little bit nervous, since I believe all production of civilian weapons and sale of same to regular folks will cease. In addition, I further believe there will be some sort of emergency moratorium on the sale and/or posession of ammunition. We regularly read stories of people who are arrested with a "cache" of weapons and "thousands and thousands" of rounds of ammunition.

To the uninitiated, this can be made to sound very scary and conspiritorial, yet the truth of it is that many of us have quite a few guns and many thousands of rounds of ammo. When you say "Joe Smith was found with five weapons and ten thousand rounds of ammunition", that could mean he was a champion Biathlete and had five match rifles chambered in .22 and twenty boxes of ammo, not quite the conspiracy "they" would have you think it is.

I regularly shoot five hundred rounds of .223 and 7.62 X 39 in a weekend and easily shoot five hundred rounds of .22 at the same time. For me too have thirty thousand rounds of .22 is a common occurrence, since I troll the wholesale sites and buy large lots when it is on sale. Same for .223/5.56, 9mm, etc. I could have seventy thousand rounds on any given Sunday, along with a "cache" of assorted weapons and magazines, yet I am not a terrorist or a criminal. In fact, I hold multiple clearances and have a spotless record. In a SHTF, will any of this matter?

Probably not.

Obummer is already rattling his saber about gun control and the UN small arms treaty, which if adopted will usurp our constitution, setting the administration up for a long and expensive constitutional challenge.

To segue back to the subject at hand, how much ammo you may need to stack depends on how you intend to use it. If you intend to hunt food with it, I suggest you use security and food acquisition as a primary metric. If you are one of the folks who have a mountain of food and merely need to augment with a little bit of protein, then security becomes the primary metric. In my case, it is security, then food, then practice and training.
had this same conversation with my Blackwater neighbor who just got back from Iraq (a few years ago) and he just snorted and he said 10,000 rounds is just a good firefight.
ancona likes this.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Jay
Yellow Jacket
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,511
Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by mike View Post:
If you live in a fag country like me, a high-power BB gun is good for survival (but not defense).

You can hunt rabbits all day with a 1,000 rounds in your pocket.
Mike, you can do more with an air rifle than you might think.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #13
Yellow Jacket
 
ancona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Waaay south
Posts: 3,370
Liked: 2046 times
Jay,
My little girl [17 going on 18 actually] learned how to strip an AR-15 when I built my first rig some years ago. At 13, she could strip and re-assemble an AR-15 in juuuust under 60 seconds, and she was motivated by that video. Thanks for digging that one up!
__________________
All things being equal, the simplest answer is quite often the correct answer - Occam
ancona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #14
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 494
Liked: 280 times
She could have done it in under 20s with an AK.
PMBug, ancona and Jay like this.
dontdeBasemebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
Jay
Yellow Jacket
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,511
Liked: 671 times
Originally Posted by dontdeBasemebro View Post:
She could have done it in under 20s with an AK.
ancona likes this.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #16
Yellow Jacket
 
DCFusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Floyd, Virginia
Posts: 1,682
Liked: 1233 times
Yeah, but it would be an AK. Bring yours to my range to shoot against my '15's anytime - bring some money to bet on scores with.

Of course, there's absolutely no comparison to my semi AR 10 in .308...but it's a bit heavy to tramp around with.
Jay likes this.

Last edited by DCFusor; 11-12-2012 at 09:47 AM.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #17
Ground Beetle
 
bushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 971
Liked: 554 times
Hey Fusor,

..but I suspect, that competition you mention is with regards to targeting only? nothing like good olde AK, when it comes to sheer penetrability, though (I mean, speaking about assault rifles)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
“...the issue which has swept down the centuries and will have to be fought sooner or later is the People versus the Banks.
Lord Acton
bushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #18
Super Moderator
 
benjamen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Migratory
Posts: 1,620
Liked: 685 times
Ahhh, ye ole AK versus AR comparison.

Generally, an AK is more reliable and less likely to jam.

Generally, an AR is more accurate at longer distance shots.

Depending on your terrain, you usually will not be taking longer than 2-300 meter shots. If I was going to be taking extremely long range shots, I would personally switch to a bolt action rifle like the K31.

My number one request from my firearm is it fires when I squeeze the trigger.

Combine everything together, I want whatever rifle that is most reliable while still being able to hit a target at 250 meters without a scope. I know both ARs and AKs that fit that bill.
__________________
I drive men mad
For love of me,
Easily beaten,
Never free.

PMBug 101 *** Forum Rules
benjamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
Jay
Yellow Jacket
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,511
Liked: 671 times
theres a pretty neat video of a guy on U-tube who buries his AR in the dirt, with the dust cover open, and drives over it with his jeep, then stops on top of the gun and turns the wheel. Only one jam in three magazines. But I can't find the video. did find some MolonLabe dust covers though!
http://www.molonlabeshop.com/AR-15-D...Doors_c_9.html
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
Yellow Jacket
 
DCFusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Floyd, Virginia
Posts: 1,682
Liked: 1233 times
My experience with AKs/SKS here at the range is that nope, they are NOT more reliable than almost any AR. Period. The only thing that has seen more jams here is a Tec-9 (more than one per mag every time). Now, this could be and probably is due to the fact that everyone and their mother makes AKs - and only everyone makes ARs, so the quality control is better on most ARs.

But really - penetrability? My AR, with a 40 gr plastic tip bullet (3700fps) easily perfs 3/8" thick steel. An AK just dents it. Speed kills, in this case.

I'm at 1/4 MOA in the AR's, and I've never seen an AK that was inside one moa.
This could just be my own experience - perhaps 20 guns worth have shot here where I could observe in detail.

My .223 and .308 bolts are well down into the 0.1 MOA range, if I have bags and time. Both are better than their semi cousins by far - no rough treatment of that handmade, low runout ammo on the way to the chamber really makes a difference.

No one ever takes an AK to a match. Lots of people take AR's. Must be a reason.

The big deal in design difference (other than the AK is much simpler so anyone can make one - advantage AK), is that the AR was designed to wound, the AK to kill.
The theory was that if you wound a guy, you take about 3 guys out of the fight, as his buddies will tend to him. This theory turned out to be wrong in many places ('Nam, for one), where they just left the guy there screaming and continued the attack.

This changed some with the change in twist and ammo for the AR to the heavier bullets that are now the current issue. But not that much. The much higher velocity of the AR is a fairly big deal when it comes to trajectory too. Given the accuracy and range issues - AK is for "they are at the end of the driveway", where the AR is for "you can just barely see them at the next ridgeline". At distance, the AK trajectory is more like a rainbow/artillery - they are just not a long range thing.

Of course, the 400 meter or so effective range of the AR is considered short by some. That's when the scoped bolt action heavies come out. You can't hit what you can't see -and if you put a big scope on an AR/CAR - you can't see anything close (pick up targets fast in real battle which is usually short range) and kinda defeat the point.

Different strokes of course, but the offer still stands. I don't own an AK, if I did, I'd probably find a way to make it shoot well, but that AK hasn't shown up here.
DCFusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has this election changed your stacking habits? HCA1961 PM Bug 6 11-09-2012 11:06 AM
Stacking 1 piece at a time- links- help- advice Penn STS 13 08-12-2012 01:24 PM
DHS buys a pile of ammo ancona STS 17 05-17-2012 02:53 PM
Serious coin stacking PMBug STS 2 11-10-2011 06:17 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® from Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Content of PMBug.com copyright © 2011 - 2019 Measuring Up. All Rights Reserved.