World food prices/availability

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no Google ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
http://thenewamerican.com/world-news/item/12705-world-food-prices-spike-10-percent-in-july

"Food prices and availability have long been considered the ultimate barometer of political stability. When people cannot afford food or when there is a famine, either revolution or draconian oppression has often ensued"

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48848864

"World food prices jumped 10 percent in July as drought parched crop lands in the United States and Eastern Europe, the World Bank said in a statement urging governments to shore up programs that protect their most vulnerable populations."
:eek: :flail:

How many here can produce their own food?

How many here can produce their own food?

Self sufficiently? Not even close for me and my family. I have fantasies about what I'd like to do, but I'm not there yet.

In the global markets, food, AFAIK, is priced in dollars - the currency, that (if my memory serves me well :grin:), has seen some quite serious printing/depreciation recently - but it must be mere coincidence, surely - and the big bad drought is all that matters here?

Last edited:
One of my neighbors boldly told me they did not want anymore tomatoes that I grew.

If you go by that stance- we have enough food.

One of my neighbors boldly told me they did not want anymore tomatoes that I grew.

If you go by that stance- we have enough food.

way back during the civil war, the first time I was married, we had a bunch of chickens. Gave about a dozen eggs a week to the old, non english speaking german woman next door. One day she just freaked out and was yelling "no more eggs, no more eggs". We had visions of her refrigerator overflowing with eggs she couldn't eat..... :)

If it were just me, between stretching my stash and improving my garden and hunting, I think I'd do OK, but it would basically take all my time as well.

If it was everybody - no way. Too much hunting pressure, too much theft from gardens etc.

Theft is a big worry here as well. We have a good group of folks, but wil definitely be forced to rely on preps more than I would like. We now have fourteen hens that lay about 110 - 120 eggs a week, and we are allowing three of them to brood. We hope to have 25 birds by the winter and thirty by spring. By January, our first eight [survivors] hens will become roasters, so we think we have the cycle pretty much figured out so we get enough eggs for everybody. Our problem will be meat and high density protein beyond grain.

Thievery is an altogether unpleasent reality of collapse. It becomes normalized.

Our greatest fear is having our entire garden overrun and stripped out, leaving us nothing to can. I cannot imagine the effort we would have to put in to protect this resource, just as we would have to have a 24 hour guard on the birds.

I do not look forward to the great re-set.

Have you thought of setting up a green house? It would be easier to secure than a regular garden.

Having spent more hours than I can remember on 'guard duty', I'd like to volunteer that even just one set of attentive eyes and ears on an area is better than none. If the situation was getting progressively worse, you'd certainly take the precautions to protect that perimeter. A well trained "working bitch" is what I'd suggest from the get go. (A trained dog) Combined with a rested human on rotating shifts, of course whatever you can manage with the depth of your roster @ the location. You wouldn't need day timers, because you'd be in the area working, but someone that will split nights with you, still getting each of you a decent 4, 5, or 6 hours of sleep between dust and dawn. If something does happen, the sleeper will more than likely wake up or be woken up and be available to support. Your enemy is really the state of unconsciousness. Always have one person up.

I really do concur with the hunting issue though, because everyone up here thinks they are the best new thing to ever happen to the sport of deer hunting. =(

way back during the civil war, the first time I was married, we had a bunch of chickens. Gave about a dozen eggs a week to the old, non english speaking german woman next door. One day she just freaked out and was yelling "no more eggs, no more eggs". We had visions of her refrigerator overflowing with eggs she couldn't eat..... :)

How old are you Jay? :)

Back
Top Bottom