monthly silver/gold subscription

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm considering something like this:
http://www.montanararities.com/silver-saver.html
or
http://bullion.nwtmint.com/monthly-accumulation-program.php

Basically you put up like $100 a month and they ship you the whole quantities and roll the fractions over.

Anybody have experience with something like that?

It looks like an interesting idea, but I would wonder:

a) What if you want to diversify into multiple metals?

b) Are their prices better than anywhere else when you factor in their free shipping?

c) Privacy concerns?

I read through the first one, and while I appreciate what they are trying to do, the few items I am familiar with are over-priced. IMO, you would do better just buying a little each month on your own.

A lot of places have pretty cheap shipping. If you want to do something automatically, you could probably talk to a salesperson at some of the online dealers and have them give you a call once a month.

Have you tried talking to your local coin shop? I believe that many of them will set up regular purchase programs like this and you might get a better deal on price.

Have you tried talking to your local coin shop? I believe that many of them will set up regular purchase programs like this and you might get a better deal on price.

Really depends on the state you live in. If you are in Texas, you are better off doing large purchases to avoid the sales tax. When I lived in Oregon, it was best to go local.

I'm a big fan of dollar cost averaging - but I think paying someone else to have discipline is a bad idea. If you develop your own, you get other payoffs in other areas too, so it's a better idea to do that for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom