Think I'm done with my LCS

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

11C1P

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
United-States
So the last 3 times I've stopped in, they're closed. There are 3 people that work in the store an older guy and 2 younger ones (sons I believe) The old guy is always an ass, 1 of the younger guys is sort of a jerk some of the time, then the one guy is usually pretty decent. Today I was shocked to see they were actually open, but the younger decent guy was walking out, & only the old guy was left. This was right at market closing time so silver spot was right around $22.50. I asked how much were Silver Eagles & Maples. He said ASE's were $26.75 and CSM's were $26. After catching my breath I asked about junk silver he said his silver dollars were $28.00! Hey at least 1/2's were only at $9.50 now that's a bargain! This is the only real coin store in my area so it looks like I'm going to be doing all my purchases online now. Which sucks for my cause when I have some free time and I see silver at a value I like to put my hands on it and buy it. Guess I'll just have to fondle what I have pretending it's new as I place my orders online.:paperbag:

past few times- I went- he had nothing. it isnt worth the gas to pop in.

Be sure when you compare the LCS prices to the online retailers, you factor in S&H for online sales. I've found that my LCS prices seem high, but when I do the math for smaller purchases, it works out about even. If I'm interested in a larger purchase, the LCS will give me better prices so it works out to be about the same.

I agree with Bug on this, but I also think that if my LCS was a dick, I would quit going to him. Part of my thing is going in to get my weekly round and having some conversation with like-minded folks. Recently, he set up a sizeable display for Mountain House products, which he says are selling like hotcakes. He's got the family -of-four buckets with X quantity of freeze dried stuff, cases of individual product and mixed cases. It's led to some pretty good conversations lately, since he gets decent walk-in traffic.

So, as much as I probably could save by doing all my business on-line, the time spent in the store jaw-jacking with friends is even more valuable.

I agree with Bug on this, but I also think that if my LCS was a dick, I would quit going to him. Part of my thing is going in to get my weekly round and having some conversation with like-minded folks. Recently, he set up a sizeable display for Mountain House products, which he says are selling like hotcakes. He's got the family -of-four buckets with X quantity of freeze dried stuff, cases of individual product and mixed cases. It's led to some pretty good conversations lately, since he gets decent walk-in traffic.

So, as much as I probably could save by doing all my business on-line, the time spent in the store jaw-jacking with friends is even more valuable.

there is an OLD TIME hardware store in Austin named "the Hardware store". This place is the real thing, an OLD hardware store. Last time I was in there (I live 45 miles away) he had all kinds of survival food in bucket and #10 cans, and stuff you need for your own canning and other long term storage. he also has a gun shop in the store, and up until last visit an awesome selection of bumper stickers. They were gone the last time we were there, and that was actually the only reason we went, since our bumper stickers had faded out. So now we are bumper sticker less, but my kids are happy because they say the cops hassle them less. My LCD guy is pretty decent, he's a "doomer" and has his own website. Apparently he does good business (I've never bought anything from him) cause he's constantly advertising for product and can't keep anything on the shelf. There's a local Cambodian guy here that calls me and sells whatever silver he has at spot that day. He never wants a premium; I figure he's raping somebody for the silver he comes by from time to time.

I like to think of PMBug as my local LCS for the conversation part of buying a coin, or metals, and use a reputable internet company like APMEX for the actual transaction. You get the best of both worlds. Might take a day or two longer, but then you can always kill some time hanging out here chatting away while you are waiting for the coins to arrive. Seems a bit safer too because you never know who might have a coin store staked out and follow you home.

Back
Top Bottom