3-d printable magazines...

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dali lambone

Predaceous Stink Bug
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you guys caught this article on Ed Steer's Gold and Silver daily. But for those that didn't, this is pretty slick stuff.... using 3-d printers at home to make rifle mags and gun parts...

The good doctor (Ron Paul) has said in one of his books, I forget which now, that guns will never disappear because the technology itself exists...

www.defcad.org

3D printing surely is the hot newsie fad for awhile.
I have a lathe, and a mill. I can make real guns from scratch, nearly. What I can't do, and 3d printing is unlikely to ever be able to do (even with lasers/e beams and metal powder) is make good barrels. It's practically an art form to drill that skinny and deep a hole smoothly and impart lands and grooves to it. Luckily, for now, this isn't seen as a threat, and premade gun barrels are still cheap...and unregulated.

I'd just as soon have the pretty and low stressed parts be wood, which the mill takes care of in grand style - not many people think of it as a woodworking machine, but it's darned good at that - including complex shapes.

Back
Top Bottom