Precious Metals Forum

Go Back   Precious Metals Forum > Bunker Talk > STS

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #21
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2438 times
I suppose that the surveillance state will be tolerated by the "unwashed masses" as long as abuses of the system don't register in the public consciousness. That's what made Snowden's revelations so powerful. There really is no way to stop the progress of technology (without sending global civilization back to the stone age). I think the best we can really hope for is a very strong dose of sunshine/transparency and stringent procedures/controls to prevent abuse. I have my doubts about the long term viability of that though because the system affords too much power to be ignored.

Edit: ... and yeah, I miss a lot of peeps who used to contribute regularly. DCF has been MIA for years now (don't see him posting on his own forum either ). ancona popped in a couple of months ago - he's still kicking but doesn't visit regularly like he used to. Unobtanium is still around ( ) but mostly lurking.
rblong2us likes this.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #22
Predaceous stink bug

Liked: 42 times
LOL, I just posted in another forum and used the term "unwashed masses" in it... great minds think alike.
You're right, transparency is just a word that means nothing. Kinda like freedom, liberty, honesty, integrity, lawful and justice.
PMBug and rblong2us like this.
singleshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #23
n00b

Liked: 0 times
The government is just becoming too powerful to be stopped. All we can do is give our votes to people who promise to cut some of that power and hope they keep their promise. Slim chances of that happening, I know, but I don't see any other way.
Tetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #24
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 869 times
Tetter, welcome aboard.

some suggest that not voting or spoiling your vote is a way of showing that you do not support any of the 'choices'.

Power corrupts and once taken from people, is never given back by choice.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #25
Big-eyed bug

Liked: 344 times
Hey Bugs, I'm still hanging around and enjoying the World of Bug. I don't post that much anywhere any longer. Work and life got really really busy a few years ago and is just now getting back to "normal". Nowadays I skim a few forums and headlines to keep up with what is going on, and try to spend the majority of my free hours just trying to enjoy life as much as possible.

I'll still try to post a little bit here and there from time to time.

Cheers,
Unobtanium
PMBug and rblong2us like this.
Unobtanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #26
Golden Cockroach

The push to collect biometric data in the USA is really heating up. It's not just biometrics like fingerprints and facial recognition. There is a big push happening right now to build a nationwide DNA database (from databases collected from various sources).

Quote :
Arizona could soon be one of the first states to maintain a massive statewide DNA database.

And if the proposed legislation passes, many people — from parent school volunteers and teachers to real estate agents and foster parents — will have no choice but to give up their DNA.

Under Senate Bill 1475, which Sen. David Livingston, R-Peoria, introduced, DNA must be collected from anyone who has to be fingerprinted by the state for a job, to volunteer in certain positions or for a myriad of other reasons.

The bill would even authorize the medical examiner's office in each county to take DNA from any bodies that come into their possession.

The Department of Public Safety would maintain the collected DNA alongside the person's name, Social Security number, date of birth and last known address.

Any DNA in the database could be accessed and used by law enforcement in a criminal investigation. It could also be shared with other government agencies across the country for licensing, death registration, to identify a missing person or to determine someone's real name.

It could also be provided to someone conducting "legitimate research."
No other state has anything this expansive in place, according to David Kaye, an associate dean for research at Penn State University who studies genetics and its application in law.

Kaye said the proposed bill is one step away from requiring DNA from anyone who wants a driver's license.
More: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...se/2873930002/

Old 02-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #27
Golden Cockroach

Forgot to add:
Quote :
Last August, President Trump signed into law the Rapid DNA Act of 2017, which allows the FBI to issue “standards and procedures for the use of Rapid DNA instruments and resulting DNA analyses.”
https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...1-bd3b021f9f63

Old 02-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #28
Ground Beetle

Liked: 498 times
Originally Posted by PMBug View Post:
Forgot to add:

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...1-bd3b021f9f63

I'm fine with faster processing times, but what I'd be worried about is are cops going to start carrying around DIY DNA kits like they do with breathylizers & what will be the criteria for who they can test? There is a link in that story that detectives are using it now. Will anyone at a crime scene be compelled to give a sample like you are for DUI's in most states? What level of cause will have to be shown to get a court order to compel someone to take the test? How easy is something like this for a beat cop or detective to screw up or falsify? There are crooked cops, the header on that link had a story to one right in the area where they are testing this. Depending on its accuracy & how it's controlled, it could end up causing just as many problems as it solves. I just watched some of those "New Detective" shows & many of them are about how they end up freeing a guy who has been in prison for years. One case the guy got locked up when he was about 22 & finally released at 47. Then they give him $100k for a settlement, which his lawyer probably got 1/2 of. Fuck that! I'd just start robbing fucking banks until they either caught me, killed me or I felt I had been reimbursed a fair amount.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/cr...8-523dad048365