Another cool project

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
Back a few years ago, Shuttle Mission STS 124 was the heaviest shuttle ever to be launched in to space, and as a result of that, she was held down longer than any other to achieve the thrust needed to clear the tower and remain upright. The harmonics that occurred lent to the failure of huge areas of refractory brick along the east flame trench wall, causing bricks to be ejected up to a half mile away at near the speed of sound. Enter my firm. We were contacted by Lockheed Martin, pad managers at the time, and asked to drop out of the sky IMMEDIATELY [as in we want you here an hour ago] to begin to effect repairs and remediate sixty tons of asbestos containing bricks and debris.

Naturally we agreed, although cost plus work is usually always welcome at my firm. Anyhow, we worked rotating 24 hour shifts for three weeks to perform extensive repairs and set up the missing brick areas for an application of six inches of refractory cement [Fondue Fyre].

Flash forward to Thursday.

I received an invitation to bid which will see us removing all of the vertical refractory bricks from all surfaces of the entire flame trench [about an acre and a third of brick my friends] and to remove the entire steel and refractory cement flame diverter structure that sits immediately below the Shuttle main engines and boosters to deflect the flame and heat out and away from the space ship. In addition to this, there is a water deluge system that sprays a million gallons of water across the plume to instantly create a plume of dense steam, designed to dampen the insane sound waves generated by millions of pounds of thrust and cool the exhaust a bit. This fucker is comprised of dual feed pipes that lead in to a 7' diameter manifold. From the manifold, the water is piped down to five dozen nozzles which distribute the water evenly across the plume.

My first impression upon cruising through the plans is that this may in fact be a two and a half to three million dollar job, which is nothing to sneeze at. Our portion of that would approach around a million bucks.

In addition to all of that, there is an asbestos containing epoxy adhesive behind the bricks that can only be removed by using our 40,000 psi hydro-blaster using .0012" jewel tips on hornet nozzles at the gun tip.

The RFP details a 190 day window to perform the work, this prepares the trench for the next RFP they intend to issue which covers the application of stainless steel 2" flat mesh as a support grid for 5 - 6" of refractory cement to be applied in place of the brick.

The site visit is Monday and will include only the IDIQ contractors [there are six short-listed contractors, four of whom will participate] and three of them are our regular clients.

FINALLY, a job where we are virtually assured of getting the work, and getting it at a realistic price, instead of "the whores' price" that we have been getting lately.

Wish me luck 'fellas.:cheers::wave:

Benjamen,
It's always cool to work out at the launch pads, whether they are on the Air Force side or on the NASA side. The Shuttle Pads are exceptionally neat places, with a lot of hidden features. I have been down in the catacombs and all through the sub-basement areas and have seen some very wild shit.

We are also looking at a pretty huge project inside the VAB, which is the largest single story structure on the planet. Years ago we removed five and a half acres of asbestos roofing during a nearly two year project. There were times when you could stand on the roof under clear blue skies and look over the side at nothing but clouds. When the cloud deck was at roof level, it was like standing in dense fog, and you would get soaked through in seconds.

Good luck Ancona. We are sure you will do a top notch job.

And part of that cool $1 million will buy quite a bit of shiny metal. :clap:

Good luck Ancona. We are sure you will do a top notch job.

And part of that cool $1 million will buy quite a bit of shiny metal. :clap:

Well, out of that million, 700 large would be direct cost, 200 more would cover general and administrative overhead, and if we make no mistakes, do not overlook something, and we get the productivity we figure in our estimate, then 100 large ends up as profit.

Then, if we take a distribution, it is taxed as corporate profit [last year we paid an effective rate of 16.5%] which leaves 83,500.00. When we take a dividend distribution, lets say it's split down the middle for simplicity, each partner gets 41,750. Then, it is taxed again as regular income. So, after paying what will average an dditional 25%, the distribution has now shrunk to 31,312.50, and that's before paying my accountant his fees.

When I was younger, and heard about companies doing five and ten million a year, I assumed the owners must be millionaires. Boy was I all wet. So you see now that a hundred grand in profit from a million dollar contract boils down to a pretty small number once Uncle Stosh peels some skin off of your ass first.

After all, someone's got to pay for all of baby daddies kids.

Well, out of that million, 700 large would be direct cost, 200 more would cover general and administrative overhead, and if we make no mistakes, do not overlook something, and we get the productivity we figure in our estimate, then 100 large ends up as profit.

Then, if we take a distribution, it is taxed as corporate profit [last year we paid an effective rate of 16.5%] which leaves 83,500.00. When we take a dividend distribution, lets say it's split down the middle for simplicity, each partner gets 41,750. Then, it is taxed again as regular income. So, after paying what will average an dditional 25%, the distribution has now shrunk to 31,312.50, and that's before paying my accountant his fees.

When I was younger, and heard about companies doing five and ten million a year, I assumed the owners must be millionaires. Boy was I all wet. So you see now that a hundred grand in profit from a million dollar contract boils down to a pretty small number once Uncle Stosh peels some skin off of your ass first.

After all, someone's got to pay for all of baby daddies kids.

Crap, well part of that cool million will buy maybe a handful of silver eagles. The boat will have to wait until later. We feel for you bro.

hey, thats a sweet place to be working Ancona.

I sometimes try to explain to idiots how you have to do a £100k of work with NO further mishaps, to put right a £5k fuckup, when you are on tight margins .........

And that work is now not able to earn any money, just correct their idiot mistake.

Good luck with this one !

Awesome. That should keep you busy for a week or two. ;)

Back
Top Bottom