Any one here have a suppressor?

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

11C1P

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
United-States
Or have much experience with them? I have little experience and that was many years ago. I want to get one in 22LR, mainly for a pistol. I've been looking at them for a while now and there are so many now it makes my head spin.

My ex wife tried it for many years ( suppressing me )

I remained steadfast :wave:

I haven't gotten one yet, but they're readily available. Be prepared to give a shitload of personal information to BATFE, and when you sign the bottom of the application and pay the 200 dollar "fee", you are giving them the right to "inspect" the suppressor any time they want......literally. If they want to yoke you up out of bed at three in the morning, that sheet you signed agreed to let them do it. Also, no one else can possess that weapon without a transfer document, another application and another fee.

For my money, it ain't worth the hassle.

If you want the .22 to be quiet, then shoot CB caps.

surpressors

You may consider Hawk Hill Customs in Virginia. They are some real up and comers in the pro precision shooting circuit. More and more winners are using their barrels. I've been to their machining shop and they are legit. I recently ordered a can through them for my .300 blackout. The price out the door for a custom made on the spot can with cerakote was $550 out the door. Shawn, the owner, doesn't even charge sales tax - or its just included and he doesn't mention it. At any rate, he says you are already having it stuck to you by the government with the $200 stamp, he doesn't need to get you again. I'm sure the .22 will be substantially less. They have a web page and a facebook page.

You may consider Hawk Hill Customs in Virginia. They are some real up and comers in the pro precision shooting circuit. More and more winners are using their barrels. I've been to their machining shop and they are legit. I recently ordered a can through them for my .300 blackout. The price out the door for a custom made on the spot can with cerakote was $550 out the door. Shawn, the owner, doesn't even charge sales tax - or its just included and he doesn't mention it. At any rate, he says you are already having it stuck to you by the government with the $200 stamp, he doesn't need to get you again. I'm sure the .22 will be substantially less. They have a web page and a facebook page.

I see muzzle brakes and other stuff on their site, but not suppressors. Do they only make custom ones? Right now I'm leaning towards the SpectreII which is about $300, and has a lot of good reviews. I wonder what a custom one would cost?

http://www.silencershop.com/shop/swr-spectre-ii/

They will make up a lot or two when there is general demand, but otherwise, as far as I can tell, they'll just make you exactly what you need. If you are serious, I'd recommend contacting them. They usually respond within a day or so. You might be surprised at their pricing, even if it is "custom".

There is a company down here called Going Quiet, and the owner is a regular shooter at our gun range, as well as being an instructor and IDPA competition regular. I understand that his suppressors are quite good as well as being very reasonably priced.

Suppressors are the first thing I would like to see off of the NFA list, but I don't want to deal with the hassel and expense of it all.

Suppressors are the first thing I would like to see off of the NFA list, but I don't want to deal with the hassel and expense of it all.

The whole thing is so stupid and contradictory with all the stuff they complain about now it would be funny if it weren't being forced upon innocent and supposedly free people. The original act banned stuff like sawed off shotguns and others stuff because it wasn't in "common use by the military". Now they don't want you to have any guns that look like the ones the military uses let alone function like them. Anytime I think maybe hope is around the corner for our country crap happens to take 10 steps back. I'm not catholic, but certainly understand the role the pope plays in politics, and now he's against free speech. All the people think the govt. should be able to listen to everything we say and do and store it all forever, because it will make them "safe". They had ALL the info on the Boston bombers, and those morons facebook and youtube etc. was FULL of stuff that made it clear they were up to no good and they still couldn't figure it out, so even if you want to sacrifice your freedom for safety, it just shows that Franklin was right, you will not have, nor deserve either.

Remember, if you do not shoot sub-sonic ammo, the suppressor is no good. And on the larger weapons (ones that can actually kill, like a 1911), you'll not silence the ejection and re-chambering. The slid is pretty loud. Probably the quietest weapon (and in my opinion, best for defensive purposes) is the Ingram. Make sure you get the open bolt design.

Remember, if you do not shoot sub-sonic ammo, the suppressor is no good. And on the larger weapons (ones that can actually kill, like a 1911), you'll not silence the ejection and re-chambering. The slid is pretty loud. Probably the quietest weapon (and in my opinion, best for defensive purposes) is the Ingram. Make sure you get the open bolt design.

Mark, that's not quite accurate. I belong to a large gun range here in my state. There is a man who runs a small fab shop called Going Quiet, and he brokers/builds/sells suppressors. What I have witnessed first hand is that a .22 with a suppressor can be as quiet as a powerful air gun. A 9mm can be reduced by half and a .45 can be reduced by about 40%. For a suppressor to belike those portrayed on TV, they would have to be so long and would cause so much turbulence that I doubt the bullet would fly straight. Now, am I still a fan? Damn tootin' I am. When you're on the line, and there are twenty others in the other lanes all firing their weapons, it sounds like fucking Iwo Jima, so suppressed firearms would likely raise the overall safety level and improve the quality of our time spent on the range in the first place.

Remember, if you do not shoot sub-sonic ammo, the suppressor is no good. ...

As Ancona said, a suppressor without a .22lr/subsonic ammo isn't going to make a firearm 100% silent, but it does offer significant noise reduction which can be huge for your ears. Especially in a home defense scenario where you don't have time to grab (or really want to use) hearing protection.

I actually use a pair of supressors when I go to the range and even though I'm shooting super-sonic ammo, my suppessors quieten things down quite a bit. I bought mine at Wal-Mart. I don't know who makes them but the box says "Ear-Muffs" on it.:rotflmbo:

Back
Top Bottom