blue spruce in my yard stolen

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
the police and 2 reporters just left.

someone cut down and stole a blue spruce from my back yard. I am not having a good day.

Thats what happened.

I am becoming deeply depressed over this.

If you get that upset by a tree, maybe you need to re-examine your priorities in life and seek some counseling. I understand being pissed off a bit, but they didn't break into your house and/or hurt you or anyone in your family. They didn't take anything of real value just a tree which can be re-planted. Quit your sniveling and move on.

I am going to act like I did not read that post.

I live in the burbs and my "city" has a program twice a year where they give away (for free) tree saplings for several different native tree varieties for our area. You might try contacting your city hall of county extension office and see in there are any similar programs in your area.

My general feeling is what else are they going to came and take. Do I have everythin nailed down.

Over the summer the neighbor accross the street and I- both had damage from someone trying to break in.

Somehow I need better lighting.

Since I lived here My fence was stolen- someone stole the screen to my kitchen window- someone stole my patio door, someone dumped brush behind my shed- and someone busted the tail light on my car. Is that normal in the span of 8 years?

Anyhow- a goal of mine has to be better lighting.

I come up with the idea- to trim my trees in a way that they are less likely to be stolen. However -not a way which will kill them. No one will steal an ugly tree?

THE GREAT OUTDOORS;A Dose of Smelly Chemicals Keeps Tree Poachers Away

SOUTH BRUNSWICK— Crime is down again in New Jersey, the FBI reported last Monday. The car theft rate is falling. Murder is going out of style. Lost in all these encouraging statistics, however, is a minor but seasonally significant triumph of crime prevention: the theft of Tannenbaum-sized evergreens from the waysides and berms and embankments of the state's highways has all but ceased.

No one is sure exactly why this is. It may be linked to the drop in Christmas-tree prices over the past decade. It probably has a lot to do with highway agencies' well-publicized practice of spraying a repellent on trees that causes them to stink mightily at living-room temperatures.

Whatever the causes, officials, while they have no hard numbers to support their observations, report that Christmas-tree poaching, a fourth-degree misdemeanor, is just about under control.

"Eight or nine years ago, we were really getting hit," said George Schoener, the assistant landscaping foreman for the central section of the New Jersey Turnpike. "But it's come down, and now people don't steal them to sell anymore.

Officials in the Department of Transportation and the New Jersey Highway Authority said they had sharply scaled back their tree-spraying programs. But for the odd spur-of-the-moment tree shopper who happens to be carrying a chainsaw in the trunk, the turnpike still sprays several strategic stretches of roadside.

And so it was that seven days before Christmas, a couple of miles south of the Joyce Kilmer Service Area (named for New Jersey's poet laureate of tree preservation), a Turnpike Authority landscaper walked alongside a pickup truck outfitted with a power pump and a hose and misted a stand of recently planted Norway spruces with a deer repellent called Hinder.

The active ingredient in Hinder is common ammonia. Until three years ago, road crews sprayed a potion made from essence of bone tar oil, which packed a truly repulsive, gamy wallop but had the undesired side effect of nauseating nearby residents on warm winter days.

"There are people who live near the highway who don't want to smell bone tar oil," Mr. Schoener said. "We had complaints from schools."

After treating the cluster of about three dozen perfectly tapered seven-foot spruces, the crew moved a mile up the road and hit a grove of long-needled white pines.

Mr. Schoener said the saplings, planted along the side of a road-widening project, would cost more $100 apiece to replace. Why tempt the poachers and plant Christmas-type trees at all, then?

Two reasons. "For one thing," Mr. Schoener said, "we like diversity out here. The Turnpike Authority plants more than 80 species of trees and shrubs along the side of the road." The other reason, which might have troubled Joyce Kilmer, is that pines, with their low-hanging branches covered with impact-absorbing foliage, make good guard rails.

"If a car runs off the road and hits a bare-trunk tree, the car will wrap around that tree," Mr. Schoener said. "A pine tree will slow the car down and cause a lot less damage." He noted that evergreens, unlike trees that drop their leaves, also provide year-round sound barriers.

As his crew hosed down one last clump of spruces around the base of an overpass, Mr. Schoener revealed that some of those "Evergreen Trees Treated With Noxious Spray" signs are there just for show.

"It's impossible for us to hit every tree along the whole road," he said. "But it's like that sign that says, 'This house protected with a shotgun four days a week -- you try to guess which four.' "

Photo: Poachers beware: A turnpike maintenance worker sprayed treeslast week. (Dith Pran/The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/24/n...melly-chemicals-keeps-tree-poachers-away.html

so when your tree regrows or the replacement starts to look like it might be of interest, you need a sign that says all plants in this yard have been treated with noxious spray .......

rb- over the Summer I want a solar light in my car port.

I dont think a sign will do any thing constructive. I am going to trim some of the trees so they are less desirable to take.

I have 2 solar lights ordered. I looked around town for the tree and did not find it. Folks set them out at the curb and the city chipper picks them up.

I just contacted my home owners ins. I might claim this loss.

I intend to make more security in my yard and house. Dont forget someone tried to break into here and across the street over the Summer.

Back
Top Bottom