Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FPrice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 249 times
blue spruce in my yard stolen

the police and 2 reporters just left.

someone cut down and stole a blue spruce from my back yard. I am not having a good day.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Ground Beetle

Liked: 504 times
I guess they didn't want to pay for an X-mas tree?
11C1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
Yellow Jacket

Thats what happened.

I am becoming deeply depressed over this.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
Ground Beetle

Liked: 504 times
If you get that upset by a tree, maybe you need to re-examine your priorities in life and seek some counseling. I understand being pissed off a bit, but they didn't break into your house and/or hurt you or anyone in your family. They didn't take anything of real value just a tree which can be re-planted. Quit your sniveling and move on.
11C1P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
Yellow Jacket

I am going to act like I did not read that post.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
Golden Cockroach

Liked: 2449 times
I live in the burbs and my "city" has a program twice a year where they give away (for free) tree saplings for several different native tree varieties for our area. You might try contacting your city hall of county extension office and see in there are any similar programs in your area.

Important stuff: PMBug 101 * Forum Guidelines * Support PMBug
PMBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Yellow Jacket

My general feeling is what else are they going to came and take. Do I have everythin nailed down.

Over the summer the neighbor accross the street and I- both had damage from someone trying to break in.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #8
Fly on the wall

Liked: 16 times
Sounds like it is time for a security evaluation and probably an alarm system.
Penn likes this.
FPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
Yellow Jacket

Somehow I need better lighting.

Since I lived here My fence was stolen- someone stole the screen to my kitchen window- someone stole my patio door, someone dumped brush behind my shed- and someone busted the tail light on my car. Is that normal in the span of 8 years?

Anyhow- a goal of mine has to be better lighting.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:18 AM   #10
Jay
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 671 times
aim small miss small
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
Yellow Jacket

I come up with the idea- to trim my trees in a way that they are less likely to be stolen. However -not a way which will kill them. No one will steal an ugly tree?
Old 12-25-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
Yellow Jacket

THE GREAT OUTDOORS;A Dose of Smelly Chemicals Keeps Tree Poachers Away

SOUTH BRUNSWICK— Crime is down again in New Jersey, the FBI reported last Monday. The car theft rate is falling. Murder is going out of style. Lost in all these encouraging statistics, however, is a minor but seasonally significant triumph of crime prevention: the theft of Tannenbaum-sized evergreens from the waysides and berms and embankments of the state's highways has all but ceased.

No one is sure exactly why this is. It may be linked to the drop in Christmas-tree prices over the past decade. It probably has a lot to do with highway agencies' well-publicized practice of spraying a repellent on trees that causes them to stink mightily at living-room temperatures.

Whatever the causes, officials, while they have no hard numbers to support their observations, report that Christmas-tree poaching, a fourth-degree misdemeanor, is just about under control.

"Eight or nine years ago, we were really getting hit," said George Schoener, the assistant landscaping foreman for the central section of the New Jersey Turnpike. "But it's come down, and now people don't steal them to sell anymore.

Officials in the Department of Transportation and the New Jersey Highway Authority said they had sharply scaled back their tree-spraying programs. But for the odd spur-of-the-moment tree shopper who happens to be carrying a chainsaw in the trunk, the turnpike still sprays several strategic stretches of roadside.

And so it was that seven days before Christmas, a couple of miles south of the Joyce Kilmer Service Area (named for New Jersey's poet laureate of tree preservation), a Turnpike Authority landscaper walked alongside a pickup truck outfitted with a power pump and a hose and misted a stand of recently planted Norway spruces with a deer repellent called Hinder.

The active ingredient in Hinder is common ammonia. Until three years ago, road crews sprayed a potion made from essence of bone tar oil, which packed a truly repulsive, gamy wallop but had the undesired side effect of nauseating nearby residents on warm winter days.

"There are people who live near the highway who don't want to smell bone tar oil," Mr. Schoener said. "We had complaints from schools."

After treating the cluster of about three dozen perfectly tapered seven-foot spruces, the crew moved a mile up the road and hit a grove of long-needled white pines.

Mr. Schoener said the saplings, planted along the side of a road-widening project, would cost more $100 apiece to replace. Why tempt the poachers and plant Christmas-type trees at all, then?

Two reasons. "For one thing," Mr. Schoener said, "we like diversity out here. The Turnpike Authority plants more than 80 species of trees and shrubs along the side of the road." The other reason, which might have troubled Joyce Kilmer, is that pines, with their low-hanging branches covered with impact-absorbing foliage, make good guard rails.

"If a car runs off the road and hits a bare-trunk tree, the car will wrap around that tree," Mr. Schoener said. "A pine tree will slow the car down and cause a lot less damage." He noted that evergreens, unlike trees that drop their leaves, also provide year-round sound barriers.

As his crew hosed down one last clump of spruces around the base of an overpass, Mr. Schoener revealed that some of those "Evergreen Trees Treated With Noxious Spray" signs are there just for show.

"It's impossible for us to hit every tree along the whole road," he said. "But it's like that sign that says, 'This house protected with a shotgun four days a week -- you try to guess which four.' "

Photo: Poachers beware: A turnpike maintenance worker sprayed treeslast week. (Dith Pran/The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/24/ny...hers-away.html
Old 12-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #13
Yellow Jacket

Liked: 872 times
so when your tree regrows or the replacement starts to look like it might be of interest, you need a sign that says all plants in this yard have been treated with noxious spray .......
Old 12-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
Yellow Jacket

rb- over the Summer I want a solar light in my car port.

I dont think a sign will do any thing constructive. I am going to trim some of the trees so they are less desirable to take.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:43 AM   #15
Yellow Jacket

I have 2 solar lights ordered. I looked around town for the tree and did not find it. Folks set them out at the curb and the city chipper picks them up.

I just contacted my home owners ins. I might claim this loss.

I intend to make more security in my yard and house. Dont forget someone tried to break into here and across the street over the Summer.