complain about your phone here!

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Penn

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
The phone company is worried about $6 I owe them. I may even have to pay a late fee.

It better be only $6!! Bah

Yes- I have a landline- which is needed to have DSL.

I have the cheapest plan there is- which mean no features at all and every call is billed. There is a program called lifeline that issues a credit for those low income- usually the DSL runs me $19.99- and a separate bill for the landline- with the program is $7.47. For that amount I can make 3 calls a day- I figure. I use google voice for long distance- I could use it for local calls.. but most people have caller ID and want to see a local number. A few times I did run up a bill- tho it was still under $10. Some people seem to have to make 10-12 calls a day. I make 1-3 a day.

http://www.fcc.gov/lifeline

Got it paid- there will be no silver purchases this month.

penn, you can get dsl without a phone line now. they never seem to advertise it. i had to ask for it specifically. we wanted to get rid of our landline, because we never use it. its called dry loop dsl.

I may do that here, I've got a predatory monopoply phone co. My internet (fastest they offer as DSL, 400kbyte down, 125 up) is billed at $14 a month. Limited everything else brings the cost to $80+ a month before I call long distance, or worse, the next town over (far closer). When I complained about 25c/minute to call 40 miles, they insisted they were't ripping me off - just charging the max inter-lata fee allowed by law. It's cheaper to call India or Alaska for crying out loud.

I may go whine, but in a good-old-boy town, what's likely to happen if I insist on internet only for say $20 - they'll call their relatives over at the courthouse and remind them I'm not paying as much PP taxes as I might, or something like that.

These things must be done delicately. (Yes, that's the OZ reference)

To add:
Back in the day (way back, the early 70's) I cancelled some credit cards, enough of that crap. Well, I get a bill for like $1.20 from one. So I send them $1.20. They add a dime and say I owe them a dime, plus fees - about 35c. So I write them a check for 35c. Then...it kept on and on and on - this was right when they wanted membership fees on top of their already-ridiculous fees. I finally sent them another dollar. They refused the check, then added interest and fees to the 35c, and on and on and on. I told them to go screw, wipe my credit if they want - I didn't want credit, that was the entire point.

They did, I now have a "no credit rating at all". They never did get that last 35c though. Did you guys know that no credit rating is worse than a bad one if you do need credit? Found that one out too. I had to put up 50,000 worth of land as collateral to borrow 10k @ 6%. I prepaid. They didn't like that, so nothing still on the rating.

They offered to help me. Say I borrowed 10k, using my savings account there as collateral, and just paid the 6-7% for 3 years (minimum). Then I'd have a credit rating. I asked if I couldn't just give them the $6-700 (or even 3x that) right now and have the rating. No go. It's a racket. I refuse to participate in it anymore.

Last edited:
Op- the dry loop is not available any more. They phazed it out.

The phone company is worried about $6 I owe them. I may even have to pay a late fee.

It better be only $6!! Bah
May I suggest you try using smoke signals?

It's free and you could do your cooking at the same time.

I may do that here, I've got a predatory monopoply phone co. My internet (fastest they offer as DSL, 400kbyte down, 125 up) is billed at $14 a month. Limited everything else brings the cost to $80+ a month before I call long distance, or worse, the next town over (far closer). When I complained about 25c/minute to call 40 miles, they insisted they were't ripping me off - just charging the max inter-lata fee allowed by law. It's cheaper to call India or Alaska for crying out loud.

I may go whine, but in a good-old-boy town, what's likely to happen if I insist on internet only for say $20 - they'll call their relatives over at the courthouse and remind them I'm not paying as much PP taxes as I might, or something like that.

These things must be done delicately. (Yes, that's the OZ reference)

To add:
Back in the day (way back, the early 70's) I cancelled some credit cards, enough of that crap. Well, I get a bill for like $1.20 from one. So I send them $1.20. They add a dime and say I owe them a dime, plus fees - about 35c. So I write them a check for 35c. Then...it kept on and on and on - this was right when they wanted membership fees on top of their already-ridiculous fees. I finally sent them another dollar. They refused the check, then added interest and fees to the 35c, and on and on and on. I told them to go screw, wipe my credit if they want - I didn't want credit, that was the entire point.

They did, I now have a "no credit rating at all". They never did get that last 35c though. Did you guys know that no credit rating is worse than a bad one if you do need credit? Found that one out too. I had to put up 50,000 worth of land as collateral to borrow 10k @ 6%. I prepaid. They didn't like that, so nothing still on the rating.

They offered to help me. Say I borrowed 10k, using my savings account there as collateral, and just paid the 6-7% for 3 years (minimum). Then I'd have a credit rating. I asked if I couldn't just give them the $6-700 (or even 3x that) right now and have the rating. No go. It's a racket. I refuse to participate in it anymore.

DCF, I have a land line for DSL, (Verizon. 19.95 a month). Bing makes a lot of international calls (Philippines, Qatar, Saudi, etc.) so we use StarTec as our carrier, 3 cents a minute, anywhere in the world. However, they consider Marble Falls, 13 miles south of here, long distance, so one month when my 16 year olds girlfriend lived there I got a 60.00 long distance bill.

Solved that problem by saying I won't pay for any more phone bills; my 28 year old promptly put them all on his cell phone plan and everyone got a phone (except me). I think it costs him something like 200. a month. :rotflmbo:

Op verizon-

I could get cable- but you have to take the cable too- so it is more expensive

I could be completely happy with internet-only and something like Skype or Magic Jack. It's only offered in theory here - I know one guy who managed to get it (and a static IP on top for a couple extra bucks - which you need if you want to run your own www server). He was a more persistent PITA than I am with nothing else to lose, though.

Back
Top Bottom