Epic letter from company owner to employees

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

benjamen

Yellow Jacket
Reaction score
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ceo-workers-youll-likely-fired-131640914.html

"Subject: Message from David Siegel

Date:Mon, 08 Oct 2012 13:58:05 -0400 (EDT)

To: [All employees]

To All My Valued Employees,

As most of you know our company, Westgate Resorts, has continued to succeed in spite of a very dismal economy. There is no question that the economy has changed for the worse and we have not seen any improvement over the past four years. In spite of all of the challenges we have faced, the good news is this: The economy doesn't currently pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is another 4 years of the same Presidential administration. Of course, as your employer, I can't tell you whom to vote for, and I certainly wouldn't interfere with your right to vote for whomever you choose. In fact, I encourage you to vote for whomever you think will serve your interests the best.

However, let me share a few facts that might help you decide what is in your best interest.The current administration and members of the press have perpetuated an environment that casts employers against employees. They want you to believe that we live in a class system where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. They label us the "1%" and imply that we are somehow immune to the challenges that face our country. This could not be further from the truth. Sure, you may have heard about the big home that I'm building. I'm sure many people think that I live a privileged life. However, what you don't see or hear is the true story behind any success that I have achieved.

I started this company over 42 years ago. At that time, I lived in a very modest home. I converted my garage into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you. We didn't eat in fancy restaurants or take expensive vacations because every dollar I made went back into this company. I drove an old used car, and often times, I stayed home on weekends, while my friends went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business - hard work, discipline, and sacrifice. Meanwhile, many of my friends got regular jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a nice income, and they spent every dime they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into this business --with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford to buy whatever I wanted. Even to this day, every dime I earn goes back into this company. Over the past four years I have had to stop building my dream house, cut back on all of my expenses, and take my kids out of private schools simply to keep this company strong and to keep you employed.

Just think about this - most of you arrive at work in the morning and leave that afternoon and the rest of your time is yours to do as you please. But not me- there is no "off" button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have that freedom. I eat, live, and breathe this company every minute of the day, every day of the week. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. I know many of you work hard and do a great job, but I'm the one who has to sign every check, pay every expense, and make sure that this company continues to succeed. Unfortunately, what most people see is the nice house and the lavish lifestyle. What the press certainly does not want you to see, is the true story of the hard work and sacrifices I've made.

Now, the economy is falling apart and people like me who made all the right decisions and invested in themselves are being forced to bail out all the people who didn't. The people that overspent their paychecks suddenly feel entitled to the same luxuries that I earned and sacrificed 42 years of my life for. Yes, business ownership has its benefits, but the price I've paid is steep and not without wounds. Unfortunately, the costs of running a business have gotten out of control, and let me tell you why: We are being taxed to death and the government thinks we don't pay enough. We pay state taxes, federal taxes, property taxes, sales and use taxes, payroll taxes, workers compensation taxes and unemployment taxes. I even have to hire an entire department to manage all these taxes. The question I have is this: Who is really stimulating the economy? Is it the Government that wants to take money from those who have earned it and give it to those who have not, or is it people like me who built a company out of his garage and directly employs over 7000 people and hosts over 3 million people per year with a great vacation?

Obviously, our present government believes that taking my money is the right economic stimulus for this country. The fact is, if I deducted 50 percent of your paycheck you'd quit and you wouldn't work here. I mean, why should you? Who wants to get rewarded only 50 percent of their hard work? Well, that's what happens to me.

Here is what most people don't understand and the press and our Government has chosen to ignore - to stimulate the economy you need to stimulate what runs the economy. Instead of raising my taxes and depositing that money into the Washington black-hole, let me spend it on growing the company, hire more employees, and generate substantial economic growth. My employees will enjoy the wealth of that tax cut in the form of promotions and better salaries. But that is not what our current Government wants you to believe. They want you to believe that it somehow makes sense to take more from those who create wealth and give it to those who do not, and somehow our economy will improve. They don't want you to know that the "1%", as they like to label us, pay more than 31% of all the taxes in this country. Thomas Jefferson, the author of our great Constitution, once said, "democracy" will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

[More From CNBC: The Most Expensive Apartments in New York City]

Business is at the heart of America and always has been. To restart it, you must stimulate business, not kill it. However, the power brokers in Washington believe redistributing wealth is the essential driver of the American economic engine. Nothing could be further from the truth and this is the type of change they want.

So where am I going with all this? It's quite simple. If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company. Rather than grow this company I will be forced to cut back. This means fewer jobs, less benefits and certainly less opportunity for everyone.

So, when you make your decision to vote, ask yourself, which candidate understands the economics of business ownership and who doesn't? Whose policies will endanger your job? Answer those questions and you should know who might be the one capable of protecting and saving your job. While the media wants to tell you to believe the "1 percenters" are bad, I'm telling you they are not. They create most of the jobs. If you lose your job, it won't be at the hands of the "1%"; it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country.

You see, I can no longer support a system that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, so will your opportunities. If that happens, you can find me in the Caribbean sitting on the beach, under a palm tree, retired, and with no employees to worry about.

Signed, your boss,

David Siegel"

And yet he is being vilified by the lamestream ultra liberal press. Imagine that.

He benefited from the fed created bubble, he does time shares. Hypocrite whining about the free drugs being cut off. Nice try.

The first business I started failed. The second business I co-founded failed. The third business I started failed.

The fourth business (our bearing import company in Peru) that I helped start with my in-laws is the only one succeeding. 21 years under our belt. And doing great.

I'm with the entrepreneur. Further, I would NEVER start a US-based business again. Being 56 and lazy, of course, would have NOTHING to with that though...

:)

Dislike me all you want. I call them like I see them, and did some research on this one. I am also a business owner, and have started/run 3, all successful till we decided to stop for various reasons. The last one was, well, we didn't need money anymore, it was time to retire - some of my guys only in their early 30's got to retire right then. They think that was pretty cool. Their homes, since they didn't have delusions of grandeur, are all paid off as well.

Could have been luck, could have been skill. There's no question it was insanely hard work. You do spend every waking moment and some of your dream time on a business you run, that is, if it's going to be successful. That part is true - there is no time off, you might lose a marriage or two around it, and so on. I know I did. The personal cost is high.

Interestingly, none of his issues (come on, don't you know time-shares are a scam?) applied to me. I gave every single worker a choice - here's how that goes.

"I can bill customers X dollars an hour for your work. Would you rather have the money, neat (and handle the rest on your own), or take say, 60% or so of that if I call you an employee instead of a contractor, and take out all those disability/unemployment/health insurance etc fees?"

Not one chose to be an employee on those terms - all contractors, the original libertarians. I didn't fool around with the money - they got what I billed for their time, and I got what I billed for mine, end of story, except I got a dirt cheap trailer and kept the power and heat on = free to them, nearly free to me, because I didn't fall for the real estate boom in the first place. I didn't skim like most business owners do - including this guy. Or you could say I skimmed negative numbers (that roof and electricity and computers and heat).

In doing so, I saved my own costs to commute to work, as it was here. It seemed like an OK deal at the time. I treated my people right, because any enlightened business owner knows they ARE The Business, the most important part.

The lucky kids, if you can call it that, were the ones priced right out of the market so never got a loan they couldn't pay off. Housing costs far too much these days - the old ripping off the young, and it's immoral, even at the current pricing levels.
Did the seller really create those square feet of ground to build on, build the house, cause it to be worth double what he paid? I kind of doubt it, yet people demanded that kind of profit on their homes, and still try. Finally, Mr Market comes along and revalues things more fairly, and people whine? Sorry, I'm not real sympathetic.

I built the home I live in, it's not a palace, but it cost ~$20/sq foot - including labor. The land was a few k an acre (I have lots of those - they are cheaper in bulk).
I don't plan on selling it, ever. When I get too old to fend for myself, maybe I'll give it to a care-giver in exchange for care, dunno.

So, I kind of have a clue what I'm talking about. This guy is whining because he can't afford to finish construction on about the most expensive home ever built.
A pretty classic case of utterly bad timing, one of the things he gets paid to be good at - but obviously was not.

Wow, what a hurt - and he's gonna fire people so he can finish it, using politics as an excuse. What a great dude, what respect for his people who shilled for him so he could make all that money. I stand amazed. And I stand by what I said.

Property flippers who didn't know how to tell when they couldn't get away with it one more time before the steamroller hit, should have known better. He didn't.

Telling your people how to vote, disgusting. How can he ensure that one candidate will make his business prosper better than the other one? It's a failing model due to Mr Market, so maybe he should encourage them to vote for a market destroyer instead?

And let's remember, that none of this is really partisan, there's plenty of blame on both sides of the aisle for the un regulation of banks, and the results. This partisan crap, the false distinction, makes me ill, personally. Two heads of the same monster, talking social wedge issues as if all else was solved and hunky-dory? Puleese.

In the letter, the author appears to predicate his argument on the raising or lowering taxes as the driver of economic growth. It's a bit naive. We are struggling under the crushing deflationary effects of bank credit destruction. It's not a tax issue. It's a monetary/banking issue.

A big thanks to DoChenRollingBearing and DCFusor for their insights on small business ownership!
:clap:

After almost a decade of college at night while working, I am within 60 days of being done. I have to take a hard look at international work versus something here in the U.S. I know a lot of people that are planning on moving their careers to places like South America, Asia and Africa.
:popcorn:

benjamen, smart move - if you are young, energetic, unencumbered - the Asia is the place to look at & think about HARD.

To Mr. Market (from DCFusor's post), I'd just add Mrs. Demography, and the long -term picture (and one's resulting career opportunities) is pretty obvious.

Back
Top Bottom