Falcon launch delayed

Welcome to the Precious Metals Bug Forums

Welcome to the PMBug forums - a watering hole for folks interested in gold, silver, precious metals, sound money, investing, market and economic news, central bank monetary policies, politics and more. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Why not register an account and join the discussions? When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, market data/charts, access to trade/barter with the community and much more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ancona

Praying Mantis
Reaction score
Well, I got up EARLY today because I wanted to go watch the Falcon rocket launch. What a friggin disappointment. I get to a great spot, pretty close to the pad, actually as close as you can get without being in an unauthorized area, set up my lawn chair with a couple of my "pad rat" buddies and waited. We're listening in on a web link as the countdown gets close to zero, we see the glow of the engines lighting up and the first cloud of smoke.......then nothing. They shit-canned the launch AFTER the engines were lit, and a half a second before bolt release because of a pressure spike in one of the engines.

Boy was I pissed. They only had a one second window of opportunity within which to launch this bird, and they blew it. The press is so bent on trying to make these guys [Space-X] out to be failures that I can't understand. I know the unions out there are absolutely rabid about private enterprise launching rockets without them, and I think the press is right there with them. I really want these guys to succeed because when they do, they will have proven that you can get it done without a bunch of union crybabies dictating the terms.

The next launch window is after three in the morning on Tuesday, so we'll have to wait an d see. They are to deliver a 1,200 pound load of cargo to the space station, and I hope they are successful.:rimshot:

I'll keep you posted.

I think it pretty much goes out the other ear to the public.

Altho a Mitt supporter was telling me about this on fb...if he tells me to "get on the Romney band wagon, before it is too late", I am going to go apes.

Hey Ancona,

i dont know much about the Falcon rocket.

Whats special about this launch ? and for just a half tonne payload .............

New launch time is 3:44 a.m. Tuesday. Launch window is one second long, so they have to get it right the first try, unlike the shuttle or an Atlas launch where the window can be from three minutes to five hours.

Go Falcon!

Cliff, the launch window is so small because of the quantity of fuel they can carry. If they were launching a titan, the window would be longer because they would have enough fuel to chase down the space station. Remember, it isn't in geosynchronous orbit, so you are launching a rocket at a moving target. The space station is moving at 17,500 miles an hour, so it is a pretty neat trick to inter5cept the damn thing with a projectile fired from earth.

I dont know anything about rockets.. to a lay guy- 1 second sound too short.

Go Elon Musk! He's the man doing his best, and putting his money where his mouth is, to change the world for the better.

Bob Lutz credits Elon's Tesla for prodding GM to do the Volt (which I think is a better, more versatile car).

NASA believes in them - first ever commercial contract to do space transport for government customers. SpaceX actually has a very decent track record compared to early efforts by the government and others. Better to abort than explode or fail, I think.

Elon is maybe about the one guy I've seen out there I'd come out of "retirement" to work with. I "get" his visions - and unlike most, he actually has some.

SpaceX employees watching the launch and cheering:

[ame="http://vimeo.com/42608730"]SpaceX Employees Cheering Outside Mission Control 2 on Vimeo[/ame]

I was up at the crack before dawn this morning to watch. Pretty awesome. I was out at the end of Schwartz Road, well past the landfill at the big turn going back to the NASA causeway to watch. Very cool indeed. I was amazed at how quiet the vehicle was during launch [relatively speaking of course ; - )]

I was a veery clean launch and I expect nothing but success for the Space-X Team.

Good job Guys!

It is named after Blake Charingtons (of Denver CO Dynasty) daughter whose name is Falcon

Back
Top Bottom